Did we land a top 5 GM in Beane?

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I believe he is GM of the year in the making.

With some help from the coaching staff, that’s not out of the question. The GM needs some help to get credit for his work. Turn this thing around and he’s in the discussion. 

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone can tear something down.  If that's the criteria you want, Sashi Brown did a WAY better job than Beane.  This is putting the cart before the horse, there's still a decent chance JA flames out dramatically and Beane is more remembered as being associated with trading Mahomes only to give up a bunch of picks to get Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

As to Bills franchise history, I would say definitely maybe...it's still very early for him, but I do feel like the trajectory is all looking up and he's made some killer FA moves this year, particularly with how he's structuring the deals to remain cap friendly for years to come. That's protecting your future leverage, and shows he's a good chess player. Obviously he won't hit Polian/Butler level until we are rewarded with consistent divisional crowns/deep playoff runs, but I have little doubt he's hit on Allen (obviously this is the single largest factor TBD), and has set things up quite nicely for McD to run with it on the field. With success will come top 5 billing as to comparing with the rest of the NFL as well. Cheers!! 

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The ability to try and make a trade for AB and then get turned down just can't be taught. ?

Make bad personnel decisions and then move on.... the talent just radiates from him.

15-17 record so far here....top 5? Best GM in the league for sure.??

if allen is the guy he is a top five gm.  if not beane probably loses his job. what are the records of most gms who take over a team?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

if allen is the guy he is a top five gm.  if not beane probably loses his job. what are the records of most gms who take over a team?

It really is as simple as that.  

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

TBD

He created the salary cap dead money issue. He threw away 2018 season and dismantled first playoff team in 17 years

He is partially complicit in the QB situation to start 2018.

His first FA class was terrible

The best player on the team was chosen by McD/Whaley

I love Allen and Beane's fate is sealed with him 

You left out only getting a 3rd round pick for Tyrod and just a 5th for McCarron. ?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Anyone can tear something down.  If that's the criteria you want, Sashi Brown did a WAY better job than Beane.  This is putting the cart before the horse, there's still a decent chance JA flames out dramatically and Beane is more remembered as being associated with trading Mahomes only to give up a bunch of picks to get Josh Allen.

Not sure why Beane would have any5hing to do with trading away Mahomes.  

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not sure why Beane would have any5hing to do with trading away Mahomes.  

Pretzel logic.

Trade away the pick that Chiefs use to take Mahomes, ergo traded Mahomes. Never mind that all of like THREE people on this board were begging for Mahomes, and what, 14 teams before us also passed on him. Never mind that he walked into a pretty complete team. Also never mind that BEANE WASN'T FRIGGING HERE.

?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Bills fans gonna Bills fan. Maybe the most short-sighted fanbase in all sports.

What gets me is how you can get guys being all bombastic and then a few short months later proclaim that they always knew that player x or GM y was going to be amazing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ProcessAccepted said:

What gets me is how you can get guys being all bombastic and then a few short months later proclaim that they always knew that player x or GM y was going to be amazing.

it is what it is. you hang around long enough you see the same kind of things from the same kinds of posters.

it's like Bill in NYC with his completely irrational hatred of picking DBs in a passing league. it's just the natural order of things.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Cleaned up salary cap disaster in one year

Wheeled and dealed to get into position to draft a franchise QB

Not afraid to roll the dice on an upside player, and more importantly, not afraid to admit a mistake and cut their ass if it doesn’t work

Addressed O-line and WR,  largest team weaknesses in FA, on team friendly deals without breaking the bank

Still has a top 10 draft pick in his pocket and nine other picks

Should have @$100 million in space next year to extend our own talent instead of watching it walk

Has the stones to go after AB, and the brains to walk away

Gets up in front of the entire NFL and national sports media and tells them all to suck his d*** for bad mouthing Buffalo

We’ll all see how it plays out on the field this season, but I think Beane has this franchise in the best shape it’s been in twenty years

Time will tell, but I think this is a good assessment.

There has not been a ti e in the last 20 years when I could envision a GM holding the Lombardi in the air and saying "this is for Buffalo," but I can now.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What would Winston Wolf say at this juncture?

Well played, sir!  And yes, I did upvote it from ‘thanks’ to ‘awesome’.

There is something intriguing about Raquel/Julia in that movie...

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

Obviously it's too early to tell.  With that said, I would like to give a few grades in a few areas that I view as pivotal in determining success from a GM standpoint:

Organization

From my view, in order for you to be a successful GM you have to have an organized approach to how you conduct your affairs.  From everything that I have read and observed over the past couple years, Beane is extremely meticulous, calculating and organized in how he approaches this football team.   He methodically structures contracts in a certain manner that allows him flexibility to retain or dump them based on player performance.  Unlike what another poster earlier mentioned, anyone cannot just cut players to dump salary space and remain competitive.  The fact that he was able to clear lots of cap space and shed talent along the way that were unpopular in some corners of Bills fans to still be able to compete and have full confidence of the players and the organization and a very very hopeful Bills fanbase is a testament to his competence.  

Grade:  A

Vision

What I have observed, there is a clear concise vision on how Beane wants to construct this team.  There are many fans who simply do not understand the concept of "culture" and "process".  These fans for the most part I would venture to guess have never been a part of an organization or program that has had enduring success.  I don't want to come off as some know-it-all but I have come from a sports program that has been successful for 3 decades now.  And we clearly had a culture and there clearly was a process and method to how this program maintains its elite level status.   

Beane, knows what sort of players he wants.  He has said that they want to build a "Bully" for the offensive line.  They clearly are attempting to do that.  Beane said his number one priority was to get a franchise QB.  He made lots of shrewd trades and did everything possible within reason to get his guy, and sure enough in his first draft at the helm he got his guy.   Beane has intimated that they don't want certain sort of character type of players and he has gotten rid of players with these character issues.  They were very unpopular decisions but it wasn't just the character he was looking at, he also looked at their production.  It's one thing to have a guy with some character issues that is playing at a pro bowl level, it's another to have an over priced character issue player that is not playing up to their capabilities.  

Most importantly, he was able to sell his vision to ownership.  This is something that most people don't understand how valuable and key that is to being successful in management.  If you are a manger who doesn't have the full confidence of ownership to carry out your plan, then guess what?  That means you don't have the resources necessary to carry out your vision of plans.   Whaley, right or wrong was not able to sell his vision to the Pegulas and basically was a hobbled GM who basically was the head talent evaluator of the team.   Beane has full confidence of the Pegulas, therefore he and McD have basically full control of the team.

Grade: A

Surrounding yourself with Talent:

As soon as Beane was hired he was able to poach high level scouting talent.  Brian Gaine has gone on to be GM of the Texans and now Beane was able to poach Dan Morgan from the Seahawks who many believe is a surefire future GM.   There are others as well.   

Grade: A

Talent Evaluations:

This is arguably the most important trait.   Its early on now to make a full evaluation on this but it's so far been decent with a few misses.  KB was a miss, Star is over priced for his role and Murphy is ok but is often-injured.  But they certainly got some good players in the draft last year, the biggest one of them all is Josh Allen, Tremaine, Harrison Phillips, Taron and Foster.   And now that they finally have money, they have some promising players that should help the offense.  But they have to play the game before we make that evaluation and even though Allen, Edmunds, Foster etc have shown promise there is more that needs to be seen.

Grade: Incomplete

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1