Draft Strategy: Beane Absolutely Must Draft Around the Defense this Year

Hear me out.  Kyle Williams has retired.  Our run defense was hot and cold last season, even when he was playing (no knock on #95).  Some of the poor showings that come to mind were the Colts game, the rematch with New England, the Leonard Fournette trouncing before his ejection, just to name a few.  I'd like to see the Bills draft Ed Oliver in the 1st round and, if possible, get Jerry Tillery in the 2nd.  We need help on the interior of our D-line and this would be a much needed boost.  Your thoughts?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

It looks to me like Beane set up his free agency so that he is picking out of the strength of the draft with that 1st pick.......

I am really against trading up even for a defensive stud.....but with 10 picks and a strong free agency?  I guess anything is possible now.

(I would still rather trade down.....and then use later picks to trade back up)

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Hear me out.  Kyle Williams has retired.  Our run defense was hot and cold last season, even when he was playing (no knock on #95).  Some of the poor showings that come to mind were the Colts game, the rematch with New England, the Leonard Fournette trouncing before his ejection, just to name a few.  I'd like to see the Bills draft Ed Oliver in the 1st round and, if possible, get Jerry Tillery in the 2nd.  We need help on the interior of our D-line and this would be a much needed boost.  Your thoughts?

rainbows unicorns lollipops.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2

Thanks OP  :thumbsup:

Now all we need are the following threads:

Draft Strategy: Beane Absolutely Must Draft Around Need this Year

Draft Strategy: Beane Absolutely Must Draft Around BPA this Year

Actually, the list is endless....

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have a gut feeling that the following will happen:

1. Trade down from 9 to somewhere in the teens (like 15) and get a 2nd round pick: Hockenson

2. Take acquired 2nd round pick and package with our own 2nd to move up into the first: Tillery/Lawrence

It strikes me that Beane has engineered FA to give us the best option for drafting BPA-- offense, or defense. Going into FA, our defense wasn't rife with holes, but our offense was. Neither side of the ball is now without its needs, but we certainly have a much more balanced roster than we endured for all of last season. I agree with John from Riverside's view of trading down in the first round, and trading up later-- unless an elite talent drops to nine, which is absolutely possible. But, I think the bottom line is that Beane has set us up to grab the BPA at almost any position.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Thanks OP  :thumbsup:

Now all we need are the following threads:

Draft Strategy: Beane Absolutely Must Draft Around Need this Year

Draft Strategy: Beane Absolutely Must Draft Around BPA this Year

Actually, the list is endless....

Bills must draft around special teams

• Haha (+1) 1

been seing this small school youngstr's name thrown around......any info or thoughts on validity?...

Scouts Corner: Alabama State’s Tytus Howard’s talent as big as his frame

The only thing small about Tytus Howard is his school. This NFL Draft prospect from Alabama State is turning heads all over.

By Maliik Obee

To say that it’s a resurgence of NFL-Caliber talent at black colleges would be a slap in the face to the players who annually don’t get a shot to show their skills. But with the success of NFL All-Pro’s like Chicago Bears running back Tarik Cohen and Colts linebacker Darius Leonard scouts and teams are giving more top-tier black college talent a look.

In the 2019 NFL Draft, the premiere name representing Historically Black College and University football is Alabama State tackle Tytus Howard. Despite being pegged as another “small school” gem, Howard has impressed enough people to receive an invite to the coveted Senior Bowl. Here is a full report on Howard, who looks to be the second Hornet drafted since 2007.

https://hbcugameday.com/2019/02/11/tytus-howard-alabama-state-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

• Like (+1) 1