John Wawrow: "better chance of the Bills moving up for a player than moving back"

Logic

7 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

That warrow guy's a dope.

jw

I don't know if you are really JW or someone who uses his name as their screen name.  But lets assume you are...I wont even challenge you if you say you are.

The very obvious question is simple:  Was your tweet of what you are hearing from some sources...or is this tweet reflective of just your opinion on what you think is more likely?

I feel very confident that we will NOT be drafting 10 players in the draft.  So I do expect Beane to move around the draft at some point.  I do though find it hard to believe it will be up from 9 given the cost to go up from there.  It would take away at least one, if not 2 valuable picks to do that and Beane certainly covets his picks.  

I feel like Beane could stay at 9 then trade up from #40 to get back into the first or even just earlier in the 2nd to grab a guy he covets...maybe that could be Fant, AJ Brown, N'Keal Harry, Simmons, etc.  Then he is getting at least 2 impact rookies.  If we trade up from 9, I cant imagine doing that with out at least including our 2nd and could cost us more picks than that depending how high we went.  This is such a deep draft in rounds 2 and 3, so I have been pretty skeptical we would go up from 9.

My opinion has been we would trade down to get an extra 2nd then move back up into the first to get another player.  And maybe move up again at some point to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

But all that being said, the one thing I know is that Beane is not afraid to go get a player he wants, so wouldn't surprise me that much if we went up from 9.   

Edited by Alphadawg7

They've moved up for every 1st/2nd round pick in the last two years with the exception of the tradeback that landed T. White.  So Allen, Edmunds, Z. Jones and Dawkins all came as a result of trading up

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Oliver at 9, then back into the bottom of the 1st for Hock.  Then, you've got four first rounders from the past two drafts forming your core -- two on O and two on D.

Hock will be taken between 10 thru 14.

Fant likely available in late 1st. 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't know if you are really JW or someone who uses his name as their screen name.  But lets assume you are...I wont even challenge you if you say you are.

The very obvious question is simple:  Was your tweet of what you are hearing from some sources...or is this tweet reflective of just your opinion on what you think is more likely?

I feel very confident that we will NOT be drafting 10 players in the draft.  So I do expect Beane to move around the draft at some point.  I do though find it hard to believe it will be up from 9 given the cost to go up from there.  It would take away at least one, if not 2 valuable picks to that and Beane certainly covets his picks.  

I feel like Beane could stay at 9 then trade up from #40 to get back into the first or even just earlier in the 2nd to grab a guy he covets...maybe that could be Fant, AJ Brown, N'Keal Harry, Simmons, etc.  Then he is getting at least 2 impact rookies.  If we trade up from 9, I cant imagine doing that with out at least including our 2nd and could cost us more picks than that depending how high we went.  This is such a deep draft in rounds 2 and 3, so I have been pretty skeptical we would go up from 9.

My opinion has been we would trade down to get an extra 2nd then move back up into the first to get another player.  And maybe move up again at some point to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

But all that being said, the one thing I know is that Beane is not afraid to go get a player he wants, so wouldn't surprise me that much if we went up from 9.   

It is him

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I feel very confident that we will NOT be drafting 10 players in the draft.  So I do expect Beane to move around the draft at some point.  I do though find it hard to believe it will be up from 9 given the cost to go up from there.  It would take away at least one, if not 2 valuable picks to do that and Beane certainly covets his picks.  

1) i'm me.

2) i rarely, if ever, do i have opinions when it comes to posting about the draft.

jw

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm sure the Bills are prepared for any scenario, and have internally discussed a trade-up. 

Doesn't mean it will happen. 

Nobody knows what's going to happen on draft day, or how far some players may fall.

I can tell you that Beane doesn't seem the type to trade away multiple 1st Rounders for an edge rusher.

Now if Murray, Haskins and Lock go early, AND some other Top 8 teams decide they need a linebacker (White) or left tackle (Taylor) with their first pick -- then it's totally conceivable that Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams or Josh Allen gets to within striking distance.  In this situation, I could see him packaging a mid-rounder to jump up a few spots from #9. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, john wawrow said:

1) i'm me.

2) i rarely, if ever, do i have opinions when it comes to posting about the draft.

jw

I believe you, and thanks for posting here :)

So, onto #2 above...is that code for "yes, heard rumblings from sources" :flirt:

Wow.  That sounds like he's been told by someone who knows that there are one or more players that Beane really would like to get, so much so that he'd be willing to give up picks to move up.  We all know that it makes sense to move up for a QB, but that's not happening.  And we saw last season that he was willing to move up for a middle linebacker.  He'd need a second pick, or a third and fourth, to move up to 5.  

Very interesting.  

1 minute ago, noacls said:

If moving up from 9 it would have to be Bosa, Allen, Williams, Oliver? What do you think?

If they move up for Oliver, I'll puke.  I'm pretty sure he'll be available at 9.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, TPS said:

This regime doesn’t let info like that leak. 

COULD be they called some teams ahead of them and asked and the "leak" didnt come from the Bills but rather the team the Bill's inquired with.

1 minute ago, noacls said:

If moving up from 9 it would have to be Bosa, Allen, Williams, Oliver? What do you think?

I would be shocked if they moved up for Oliver.  There is a strong chance he would be there at 9 and Wilkins certainly will be there at 9, and Oliver isnt that much better of a prospect than Wilkins.  Simmons is better than both and can be had later too.  

Im guessing if Beane is willing to move up it will be to try and nab Quennin or Allen.  Either would be a sick addition.  

How bad would this board melt down if the Beane traded up to get DK?  LOL.  This board hates trade ups for WR's hehe

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Nobody knows what's going to happen on draft day, or how far some players may fall.

I can tell you that Beane doesn't seem the type to trade away multiple 1st Rounders for an edge rusher.

I agree.  I seriously doubt Beane would give up his first next year for anything.  It's contrary to his philosophy.   I think it's more likely that he'd move up 5 or fewer slots, just to get the guy he wants.  That's essentially what he did with Edmunds.  

14 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Not saying it's going to happen or not. And certainly don't have any idea of who the Bills might target to move up.

What I'm simply suggesting is Beane is more comfortable in going after a player he's targeting, than moving too far back and hoping a player he wants is still there.

And that very much applies to this year's draft.

Again, he could be very happy at staying at 9 and not moving based on his board and where the drop-off of talent begins.

This part is merely gut, as it wasn't discussed.

As someone noted, the Bills have 10 picks, and it would make sense to use some of those assets to work from a position of strength and landing better players or players the Bills have higher on their board.

They did that twice last year.

jw

Agreed. 

In both drafts since McDeemitt and Beane got here one thing is for certain, they have shown they are not afraid to move around.

They haven’t picked at their original spot in the 1st round yet, and I think the same might be true of the 2nd and possibly 3rd rounds too? 

Moved up for Zay, Dion. Back for Tre. Up for Josh and Tremaine. 

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see them target a player and then move up/down accordingly. Moving up does seem like a real possibility to me. They have holes at DT/DE and there are a couple big time players at those positions in reach of pick #9.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

#9 + #40 + 2020 first to move up to #4 and select Christian Wilkins.

That would keep this board warm for a good year.:thumbsup:

Yeah in our own piss for giving up that many picks, when we're probably more than likely able to nab him at #9.

1 minute ago, aceman_16 said:

COULD be they called some teams ahead of them and asked and the "leak" didnt come from the Bills but rather the team the Bill's inquired with.

I agree with what @mjt328 said, Beane would certainly try to find out what it would cost to move up if one of Bosa, Allen, or Williams slides.