Best ever NFL running back

I have to say Adrian Peterson impresses me the most due to the extreme athleticism on defense in his era and the fact that the NFL turned into a passing league with RB by committee. I doubt people will recognize how special he was as a runner until 20 years from now when no runningback comes close to duplicating his production. I don’t think we will see another RB that productive, for that long, in our lifetimes. He marks the end of the historic RBs.

Edited by Troll Toll
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Chris Johnson's 2009 season is my pick for best ever I think

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would put OJ's 2000 yards in a 14 game season up against anyone's best.

I'll take DIckerson's 1850 all purpose yards his first 7 years straight over either

Edited by Real McCoy

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

I'll take DIckerson 1850 all purpose yards his first 7 years straight over either

I mean, it's hard to argue AGAINST Dickerson or any of these guys because sheer statistics don't tell the complete story; so many variables. I will say this. The all time leading rusher is DEFINITELY not the best running back of all time.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I mean, it's hard to argue AGAINST Dickerson or any of these guys because sheer statistics don't tell the complete story; so many variables. I will say this. The all time leading rusher is DEFINITELY not the best running back of all time.

Agree 100% on that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roch Jim said:

JIm Brown---hands down. Led the league in rushing 8 of his 9 years. Averaged 100 yards a game. Not flashy like Barry just brutally effective

Oh, and the season he didn't lead the league, he played most od the season with a broken wrist.  Brown had a vicious stiff arm, and with a broken wrist he lost that weapon.  

He was the best.  

I started watching football in 1960 and when I stop to think of the number of tremendous RBs I've seen, many mentioned above. And all worthy of support for GOAT.  I can only say that Brown stood out for me over a career.  Not by a mile, but he was just amazing.

36 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Jim Brown easily.

Honorable mention

Dickerson

Gale Sayers (damn shame)

It's so hard to compare them.  I was going to mention Sayers if no one else did.  Sayers was unbelievable.  His style was different from Sanders, but he was the only guy other than Sanders who week after did things that you'd never seen anyone else do.  

And Dickerson, like Campbell, had a short career but was spectacularly good in his prime. 

Still, it's Brown.  People can day he was playing against smaller guys than now, but it doesn't matter.  Jim Taylor was the second best in that era, he was as big as Brown, but there was no comparison.  Brown was the most punishing back in the league and he was the fastest player in the league.  He would be as big a star today as he was then. 

• Like (+1) 2

Easy to get down to two.  Its Barry Sanders or OJ.

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bo Jackson and Jim Brown are two best IMO

Your opinion is wrong.?

1 hour ago, Roch Jim said:

JIm Brown---hands down. Led the league in rushing 8 of his 9 years. Averaged 100 yards a game. Not flashy like Barry just brutally effective

Dude Sanders did what he did playing behind our Oline from last year and Peterman for a QB his whole carry if that helps you figure it out.

I’ll take Brown. Big, powerful, shifty, had to be gang tackled, break away speed, ball security and could run either between the tackles or outside!!

Sanders had all the moves and was great to watch. Classy guy!! Just flipped the ball to a ref after scoring! Loved that about him!

Would have loved to have seen Bo Jackson play longer!!! He was dominating and could do it all.

23 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's so hard to compare them.  I was going to mention Sayers if no one else did.  Sayers was unbelievable.  His style was different from Sanders, but he was the only guy other than Sanders who week after did things that you'd never seen anyone else do. 

Sayers, had he never blown his knees out, possibly would have gone down as the best. He was simply the best offensive weapon of his era until injuries undid his career. On top of his running you have to factor in his ability to return kicks and catch the ball. His patience and field vision was top 3, and when coupled with his patience and athleticism... The man was a freak and as fluid of an athlete as there ever was.

A 6 touchdown game. A career kick return average over 30 yards. A rookie season of over 2,200 yards with 22 touchdowns... Everyone should watch that Chicago vs San Francisco game. I’ve never seen anything like it... Sayers made everyone else on the field look like they were in slow motion. 

9 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Easy to get down to two.  Its Barry Sanders or OJ.

Your opinion is wrong.?

Dude Sanders did what he did playing behind our Oline from last year and Peterman for a QB his whole carry if that helps you figure it out.

Are you old enough to have seen Brown play?