Nate Oats heading to Alabama

DBilz2500

Guess that contract extension he signed a few weeks ago doesn't mean much..why did they bother?

EDIT: Oh...I reread it...to increase the buyout...smart move

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

I hate to see him go.  He did a great job with the program.  This is almost always what happens when a mid-major coach has a run of success.  It's inevitable.  I was holding out hope that Oats would like the city and school enough to stick around and try to build a mid-major powerhouse like Gonzaga (or Cincinnati or even Butler).  I think he even mentioned that at the time he signed his extension.

A cautionary tale for Oats is Don Monson.  He had great success at Gonzaga, but decided to move to the Big 10 and took the Minnesota job.  Since then, he has never had the kind of success he had at Gonzaga.  He's gone from Minnesota and now at another mid-major in Long Beach State and not even sniffing the NCAA Tournament.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Monson 

Meanwhile, after Monson left, Gonzaga continued its run of success, which continues today.  Mark Few, their current coach, had decided to stay there and enjoy the success, rather than jump to a Power-5 conference job and it has worked out well.  Who knows - possibly Bobby Hurley will have a Don Monson-like career since he left UB for the Pac-12 and Arizona State.

3 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I hate to see him go.  He did a great job with the program.  This is almost always what happens when a mid-major coach has a run of success.  It's inevitable.  I was holding out hope that Oats would like the city and school enough to stick around and try to build a mid-major powerhouse like Gonzaga (or Cincinnati or even Butler).  I think he even mentioned that at the time he signed his extension.

A cautionary tale for Oats is Don Monson.  He had great success at Gonzaga, but decided to move to the Big 10 and took the Minnesota job.  Since then, he has never had the kind of success he had at Gonzaga.  He's gone from Minnesota and now at another mid-major in Long Beach State and not even sniffing the NCAA Tournament.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Monson 

Meanwhile, after Monson left, Gonzaga continued its run of success, which continues today.  Mark Few, their current coach, had decided to stay there and enjoy the success, rather than jump to a Power-5 conference job and it has worked out well.  Who knows - possibly Bobby Hurley will have a Don Monson-like career since he left UB for the Pac-12 and Arizona State.

ASU is stacked for next season. Only losing one starter. They will be a top team unless something messes up.

7 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I didn’t realize coaches under contract could leave for other head coaching positions... seems like a bad way to have things set up in the NCAA.

Common though, extension = more buyout $ and more $ for a raise. Wink wink type stuff

No surprise at all. Oates is an amazing coach and he's very unlikely to reach the apex at UB.

I'm sure he appreciates his time in Buffalo, but he strikes me as the kind of guy with BIGTIME aspirations. 

Sucks to see him go, but it was inevitable.

39 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Hurley had a cup of coffee at Buff.  He has had his ASU team in the Tourney for the past 2 years....

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hurley had a cup of coffee at Buff.  He has had his ASU team in the Tourney for the past 2 years....

They were in the play in game the first two years, losing it last year and winning it this year, before bowing out in the round of 64.  UB advanced to the round of 32 both years.  I'm not a Hurley or ASU fan (although I admit I liked the momentum that Hurley started at UB), so I'd wouldn't be disappointed if this is as good as it gets for them.  We'll see.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

That was fast. This is a good example of why Buffalo sports teams don't win championships. When they do have talent, they cannot hold on to it.

He knew before he signed the new contract in Cleveland.He just played it for the tourney...the more the talented team won..the more he knew he would get.

He played it..