The Strategy of Signing Frank Gore

Lots of people are in wonderment over the signing of Frank Gore.  If you get a chance, look at highlights from last year in Miami.  He's still a solid RB.  He's old, but still productive.

I think it's a good signing because it makes the Bills look like a good place to play.  NFL Network reported that Gore worked out with Shady, and Shady really wanted the team to sign Gore.  Gore really wanted to play with Shady in Buffalo.  What happened?  That's a smart, strategic move.  Plus, the guy can still bring it.  

Word is getting out that Buffalo is a great place to play football.  Moves like signing Gore will pave the way for other signings.  Siberia ain't so bad after all.  Right?  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Lots of people are in wonderment over the signing of Frank Gore.  If you get a chance, look at highlights from last year in Miami.  He's still a solid RB.  He's old, but still productive.

I think it's a good signing because it makes the Bills look like a good place to play.  NFL Network reported that Gore worked out with Shady, and Shady really wanted the team to sign Gore.  Gore really wanted to play with Shady in Buffalo.  What happened?  That's a smart, strategic move.  Plus, the guy can still bring it.  

Word is getting out that Buffalo is a great place to play football.  Moves like signing Gore will pave the way for other signings.  Siberia ain't so bad after all.  Right?  

I do think there's something to the Shady/Gore connection, which makes our interest in Bell even stranger.

All in all, I think Gore is a very solid depth RB for $2 mil.

• Like (+1) 2

Not too many, if any at all, have more heart and the will to succeed than Frank Gore, bar none. If you want to be amazed then read about his personal life and his career. Not only did he come back from serious injury after serious injury in college but his mother is a complete train wreck. The thing that probably impressed me the most with him was in his first game in San Fran the 49’ers lost. When he left the locker room and went out to the parking lot he saw several of the players playing their music and just having a good old time. Frank Gore cried.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The plan last year was to let LeSean McCoy carry the offense, then spell him with Chris Ivory in short-yardage situations.

But after having a terrible season, the Bills are no longer certain McCoy can be a top runner.  They also realized that Ivory is not a 3-down back, who can take his place if McCoy doesn't rebound this season. 

Something obviously needed to be done at the position.  But it's never a good idea to spend big money on a free agent/veteran running back (like Le'Veon Bell), and with lots of holes on the roster, we will probably be using our early draft picks in other areas.  To me, this signing tells me the front office is punting the RB decision until next season.  Frank Gore is probably just a 1-year stopgap, who can split time with McCoy this year.  If McCoy has truly lost a step, Gore should be able to take over the #1 role.  Next year, I expect us to draft an RB within the first two rounds.

31 minutes ago, wppete said:

I haven't paid a lot of attention to him over the years, but that video at least, he looks like a guy with good vision and ability to follow his blocks.  That'll definitely extend his shelf life, and maybe help teach the youngsters

I think it's a textbook "process" signing. He's a well regarded player and teammate and will (hopefully) show the way for the RB(s) we draft/sign. Another veteran voice in a locker room that is trending younger, and a vocal/example leader unlike McCoy. Insurance if McCoy goes down, otherwise 2/3 RB by committee/game situation. I would guess they supplement by drafting RB later in the draft.

They could have gone the "just draft/sign a young guy" route but perhaps they preferred a "known quantity", Gore's age be damned. I doubt the goal here is to get Gore 300+ touches... IMO it's a solid move, fits with their culture, and Gore is still productive.

Edited by technobot
  • Like (+1) 1

Somebody said something about his son maybe going to play at UB. So maybe Gore reached out to the Bills and said he wanted to come here, play with Shady and be close to his kid. You really can't turn that down. 

What I like about it is that I think it makes Shady less likely to complain about touches and things of that nature. Also, these guys are both really good receivers, so maybe they get used in the slot a bit. I'm okay with it. It is weird, but the money is so little that it's really a no risk proposition. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Whew man that is some looooong leaps there :)  It's a old guy looking to wind down his career.  You think that translates into young players in their prime thinking that they want to play in Buffalo? :)  

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It’s a 2 mil deal. That’s nothing. People are over thinking what the deal means

I agree. A one year 2 million dollar contract for a guy who immediately has locker room cred and still some on field ability is a great under the radar signing. It’s not like they tied into the guy for 5 years or something