Report - Bills interested in Frank Gore, RB

wppete

Just now, Logic said:

You keep saying that, but it's exactly what you're doing. We're in the first 45 minutes of the tampering period, free agency isn't even officially open yet, and you're upset. 

And no, I DON'T understand people being puzzled.

This team has shouted "We're going to build through the draft" and "we're going to be judicious in free agency" over and over. If people ignore that and expect them to go out and throw crazy money at a bunch of top free agents, they're setting THEMSELVES up for disappointment.

Not sure how old you are, but it's been forever since this team competed for a championship.  The natives are restless and, after 2 years of this "process" talk not excited to hear about their interest in a backup RB even if it is a standup dude.

Still, if Buffalo were all-in on building through the draft and patching things with UFAs...why the interest in AB last week? 

Your logic here only goes to the surface level, because if you think the HC and GM entering year 3 of this rebuild don't recognize they are under more pressure, you're missing the forest for the trees.  This is a pivotal year in their rebuild and they have to show results, especially after clearing the cap they did leading to a 6-10 last year. 

Taking a patient approach, signing some bargain bin types, drafting well, and some day maybe signing your own isn't going to get them into the playoffs anytime soon.  Ownership, I would hope and expect, is watching.  7-9 ain't gonna cut it next year with another pedestrian offense.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Not sure how old you are, but it's been forever since this team competed for a championship.  The natives are restless and, after 2 years of this "process" talk not excited to hear about their interest in a backup RB even if it is a standup dude.

Still, if Buffalo were all-in on building through the draft and patching things with UFAs...why the interest in AB last week? 

Your logic here only goes to the surface level, because if you think the HC and GM entering year 3 of this rebuild don't recognize they are under more pressure, you're missing the forest for the trees.  This is a pivotal year in their rebuild and they have to show results, especially after clearing the cap they did leading to a 6-10 last year. 

Taking a patient approach, signing some bargain bin types, drafting well, and some day maybe signing your own isn't going to get them into the playoffs anytime soon.  Ownership, I would hope and expect, is watching.  7-9 ain't gonna cut it next year with another pedestrian offense.  

Everything you just said stems from....the Bills' reported interest in a backup running back?

There are no reasonable signs that the Bills AREN'T going to be active in free agency. Their reported interest in Frank Gore CERTAINLY is not a sign of that.

All I'm saying is two things: One, people need to relax and quit being so reactionary. Interest in one guy doesn't mean they WON'T have interest in others. And Two, while I expect the Bills to find a few starters and contributors in free agency (just as they have the PAST two offseasons, with a lot less money to spend), I DON'T think they're going to be reeling in big fish after big fish. It's not gonna happen. As they've said all along, they'll fill some holes, find a few starters, and continue to build through the draft. Doesn't mean they plan to take 3 more years to be good, just means they have an idea of how they want to build a sustained contender, and it may be different than how the message board GMs would build it.

I'm sorry if people want to get their panties in a bunch over a RUMORED free agent interest, or if they set themselves up for disappointment by thinking the Bills were gonna land 3 or 4 of the top 10 free agents. It's not who Beane and McDermott are, and they've been telling that to anyone who would listen for 2 years now.

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

A late round draft pick with young legs and speed would be an upgrade at rb3 as well

I agree 100%.  That's why I'd be surprised if Gore ends up filling that role in 2019.  The thing is, you never know how the draft is going to shake out, and maybe our GM/coach see some late draft steals that aren't at the rb position.  Bottom line, if it comes down to it, I think it's a good problem to have if we're debating strategy over a 3rd string player.  Unfortunately we need to be more concerned with getting a starting rb for the season imo.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Everything you just said stems from....the Bills' reported interest in a backup running back?

There are no reasonable signs that the Bills AREN'T going to be active in free agency. Their reported interest in Frank Gore CERTAINLY is not a sign of that.

All I'm saying is two things: One, people need to relax and quit being so reactionary. Interest in one guy doesn't mean they WON'T have interest in others. And Two, while I expect the Bills to find a few starters and contributors in free agency (just as they have the PAST two offseasons, with a lot less money to spend), I DON'T think they're going to be reeling in big fish after big fish. It's not gonna happen. As they've said all along, they'll fill some holes, find a few starters, and continue to build through the draft. Doesn't mean they plan to take 3 more years to be good, just means they have an idea of how they want to build a sustained contender, and it may be different than how the message board GMs would build it.

I'm sorry if people want to get their panties in a bunch over a RUMORED free agent interest, or if they set themselves up for disappointment by thinking the Bills were gonna land 3 or 4 of the top 10 free agents. It's not who Beane and McDermott are, and they've been telling that to anyone who would listen for 2 years now.

Look, I'm not going to play the prove a negative game with you.  If true, it says plenty about a franchise with tremendous needs on their offense to pursue a RB in his mid-30s. 

Usually, a team has priorities, and someone like Frank Gore isn't going to attract interest from a dozen teams.  You go after the most in-demand types, which I would imagine are the pass rushers and OL. 

We'll see if they can adequately multi-task in the negotiation game. 

34 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I don't want to jump the gun, but a story like this is really troubling.

When you have 80 mill to work with and the OL being a major need...................... and something like this is your first move. Ouch.

If this is the case, the Bills might as well be 40 mill over the cap.

But like I said, I don't want to put the cart before the horse.

What? You have no horse in sight.

The order in which signings happen isn’t necessarily indicative of importance or need. 

Sheesh.

1 minute ago, inaugural balls said:

What? You have no horse in sight.

The order in which signings happen isn’t necessarily indicative of importance or need. 

Sheesh.

This team doesn't need Gore. Case closed.

I can't make it much more simple than that.

The Internet / talking heads said something - let’s all freak out! :beer:

Curious as hell if it does happen, but this is a “I’ll believe it when I see it” situation for me...

This seems like a false rumor.  I mean how ancient are they trying to be at RB.  The only way this would make sense to me is if they are planning to trade McCoy and draft a RB in first 4 rounds.  

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm just wondering how many of the whiners in this thread actually realize that based on Frank Gore's 2018 numbers, he would have been the Bills' leading rusher. Or that he averaged 4.6 ypc.

That has more to do with how bad our OL was than how good Frank Gore still is.  He would not have done much better than McCoy or Ivory here last year.  And at his age, another year older is a big deal.

Edited by Alphadawg7