Bills re-sign Jordan Phillips

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed.... which is why, despite the offensive struggles, I would be on board with a first round defensive lineman. 

DT or DE or doesn't matter?  I think Edge over DT...but both are needs.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I would certainly hope so. Jordan Phillips isn't a locked in starter which is why he got a 1 year deal.

It's a one year audition for him hitting UFA next season.  And, his agent wisely understood this was the best situation to get a chance to prove it (little DT depth) and be in position to hit UFA next off-season.  

With Phillips, Phillips and Lotulelei, the Bills have three solid rotational guys.  They need one more to complete the set.  A star would be great, but probably not essential.  If they have a chance to draft Quinnen Williams, go for it, but there are a bunch of solid DTs in the draft.

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I would disagree kinda. 

Murphy is an excellent rusher.... when he’s healthy. That’s the big question mark. He was basically hurt all last season which sucks. 

Also don’t forget Lorax may be rushing a little more if they add some more linebackers which I’m sure they will. 

Hughes is our only top-end talent and this is our contract year. Murphy is decent when healthy, which he hasn't been in 2 years. We lost Kyle this year and don't have a legit 3-technique besides Phillips. Our line needs an infusion of youth or else we are going to be in trouble 2020. 

7 hours ago, BillsVet said:

It's a one year audition for him hitting UFA next season.  And, his agent wisely understood this was the best situation to get a chance to prove it (little DT depth) and be in position to hit UFA next off-season.  

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine?

A one year deal is bad in some situations and good in others. This is a good situation. Keep him focused and motivated.

Beane/McD have a huge offseason on their plate, I hope they nail it. They have shown that they understand the business side of things when handling players. Now they just need to nail their evaluations and avoid anymore Peterman like mistakes. 

Most exciting offseason in awhile. #getjoshhelp

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I love it!

I really thought the guy was a BEAST last year.

I really feel like our D is all set for one more year if we make absolutely no more additions.

Get our damn offense up to par, please!!!

Don’t forget we lost meatball (that will hurt) not only as far as production on the field but as a true leader of that D , 

I’m sure the defense will be addressed wouldn’t surprise if it was with our day one pick , ( of course) its all depends what we do in the free agency, 

I don't subscribe to PFF, but according to Rodak:

"Pro Football Focus ranked Phillips as its 108th out of 112 graded interior defensive lineman last season."

PFF isn't the end all, for sure, but I think Beane still has more work to do on the DL.

9 minutes ago, hemma said:

I don't subscribe to PFF, but according to Rodak:

"Pro Football Focus ranked Phillips as its 108th out of 112 graded interior defensive lineman last season."

PFF isn't the end all, for sure, but I think Beane still has more work to do on the DL.

Agree.  I continue to view PFF with skepticism, especially as it relates to creating objective stats based upon highly subjective interpretation of facts (i.e., OL/DL grading).  As Eric Wood had put succinctly previously, it difficult for anyone other than the coaching staff to grade offensive line play as you don't know what the assignments, etc. are on any given play.   

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman