Bills re-sign Jordan Phillips

8 hours ago, billspro said:

All signs are pointing to oline imo

All signs are pointing to free agency hasn’t even started yet.  Impossible to even venture a guess on who they will draft at 9 before we see what happens in the next month 

Anyone concerned over the money is crazy when you put into perspective the amount of cap room this year has this year and next. I like the deal but again, wish they built some insurance into this deal by offering more term. I'd hate to see him play to an excellent level and then leave in FA to big money. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Anyone concerned over the money is crazy when you put into perspective the amount of cap room this year has this year and next. I like the deal but again, wish they built some insurance into this deal by offering more term. I'd hate to see him play to an excellent level and then leave in FA to big money. 

I always find this argument flawed.  Just because you have a lot of $$$ doesnt mean you can start handing out reckless deals.  Every player needs to be evaluated based on their production and value to the team vs. the amount of money the team is paying them.  A $4.5M deal handed out to a player that grades out at best as a replacement level player is a $2-$3M overpay whether you have $100M to blow or you have $0.

The team might think Phillips has room to grow, and the 1 year deal, in their eyes, might keep him from becoming complacent.......but based off of his production with the team in '18, he was at best replacement level.

I believe the key to roster building is understanding the 30-40 guys on your roster that are the the replaceable parts.....and not fooling yourself into 08 overpaying for them just because their "yours".  That means being disciplined enough to not overpay a marginal player who's production can almost certainly be replaced for the veteran minimum.

31 minutes ago, Estro said:

I always find this argument flawed.  Just because you have a lot of $$$ doesnt mean you can start handing out reckless deals.  Every player needs to be evaluated based on their production and value to the team vs. the amount of money the team is paying them.  A $4.5M deal handed out to a player that grades out at best as a replacement level player is a $2-$3M overpay whether you have $100M to blow or you have $0.

The team might think Phillips has room to grow, and the 1 year deal, in their eyes, might keep him from becoming complacent.......but based off of his production with the team in '18, he was at best replacement level.

I believe the key to roster building is understanding the 30-40 guys on your roster that are the the replaceable parts.....and not fooling yourself into 08 overpaying for them just because their "yours".  That means being disciplined enough to not overpay a marginal player who's production can almost certainly be replaced for the veteran minimum.

Just FYI--$4.5M is upper-end money for a rotational DL guy, so it's not really crazy.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Just FYI--$4.5M is upper-end money for a rotational DL guy, so it's not really crazy.

Do you have a source on this? Based on Spotrac (see below), it looks like it's starting DT money. Of course, it's possible (I haven't seen it declared otherwise yet) that the $4.5 mil is with incentives that he may or may not be likely to hit and that the real deal is lower than that, but for now, it does look like a bit of an overpay (though I don't think it matters much since it's a one-year deal).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/defensive-tackle/

33 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Do you have a source on this? Based on Spotrac (see below), it looks like it's starting DT money. Of course, it's possible (I haven't seen it declared otherwise yet) that the $4.5 mil is with incentives that he may or may not be likely to hit and that the real deal is lower than that, but for now, it does look like a bit of an overpay (though I don't think it matters much since it's a one-year deal).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/defensive-tackle/

Yep. If you just sort the above link by average salary as opposed to cap hit you'll see what I mean.

Once you get down to $5M and below you are names like Beau Allen, Akeem Spence, Phillips, DaQuan Jones, etc.

9 hours ago, Estro said:

I respect your post and opinion but must ask, what do you do with our cap money over the next two years? It's not like we are saving for a new boat. Beane weaseled himself into the position where we can afford to over spend on a rotational player with a potential high upside instead of constantly settling for practice squad fodder 

9 hours ago, Estro said:

You keep saying this in your post.

Where in his play do you see a "replacement level" player

This guy was much better then that or your not watching the games.

The Bills may have gone a little high on paying Phillips but I believe the Bills really want to focus on Oline in free agency. 

Hence, they paid J. Phillips to firm up the DT spot.  Now the Bills need only one more DT.  Probably address that in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

The Bills may have gone a little high on paying Phillips but I believe the Bills really want to focus on Oline in free agency. 

Hence, they paid J. Phillips to firm up the DT spot.  Now the Bills need only one more DT.  Probably address that in the draft.

With Kyle gone DT was shockingly thin. Before bringing back Phillips the team had Star who is more of an early down grinder and H.Phillips a rookie who flashed potential but was up and down a lot in his rookie season. Bringing back Jordan Phillips gives the team depth and a quality rotational player. Yes the team probably could use an interior pass rusher but at least with Jordan Phillips the team is not paper thin at DT going into the free agency and draft process. So even if they bring a high draft pick as an interior rusher and H.Phillips develops into a great player then J.Phillips still can be productive as depth and a DT 4. In the modern NFL you need both depth and a quality amount of rotation in the D-line. J.Phillips brings both along with a high energy player who endeared himself to the team and the fans. 

The lower risk one year deal also makes this a much better signing. 

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

$2mill gtd? A steal 

So if he doesn't make the team, paying him $2 million is a steal? Because if he is on the team he gets $4.5 million. For what he is I don't consider that a steal and I expect better players than Phillips will be paid less.

2 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I believe this is about to change in late April.

You are referring to the no playmakers part I assume? I hope you are right. 

5 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

So if he doesn't make the team, paying him $2 million is a steal? Because if he is on the team he gets $4.5 million. For what he is I don't consider that a steal and I expect better players than Phillips will be paid less.

You are referring to the no playmakers part I assume? I hope you are right. 

Then you must not pay attention to the contracts handed out during free agency. 

10 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The Bills have ~10% of their 2019 cap committed to their dts, 6th most in NFL. 

They also have no playmakers at the position and not a single dt rated higher than #70 out of 108 on pff.

This is a stellar representation of why measuring salaries by percentage of cap is so stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Then you must not pay attention to the contracts handed out during free agency. 

This is a stellar representation of why measuring salaries by percentage of cap is so stupid. 

It's not about the money, it's about the quality of the players you spend it on. I don't think Phillips is a good player. 

The production per % of cap is important if you want to be a top team imo. Spending a lot for little contribution is not a recipe for success. 

On 3/6/2019 at 7:45 AM, Estro said:

I think perhaps the point may be about the length of contracts. and securing a player who has potential upside and will play above his current pay grade.

When i see a one year contract? i feel the Player is questionable at best for future or even long term potential for the Team.

stopgap and or hope and wish player.
I do hope and wish Phillips becomes and asset in the rotation : )

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Reads like we may have had some competition fro him ?
and reading his quotes  maybe feels he will show he was underpaid but chose Bills because he fits here