Adam Schefter (who had perfect view from press box) says Music City Miracle was forward pass

Logic

The always awesome TheAthletic.com just posted a piece in which multiple analysts/players discuss the most indelible game memories they have witnessed in their respective careers. The whole piece is interesting, but I'll just highlight the segment about the Bills and the play in question, courtesy of Adam Schefter:

Adam Schefter, ESPN

In 30 years covering the NFL, there aren’t many press box seats as memorable as the one assigned to me as a reporter for the Denver Post on Jan. 8, 2000 for the wild-card game at what’s now LP Field between the Buffalo Bills and Tennessee Titans.

It was directly above the 25-yard line. From directly beneath that press box seat came one of the most storied plays in NFL postseason history.

Moments after Bills kicker Steve Christie booted a 41-yard field goal in the closing seconds, Titans fullback Lorenzo Neal caught the ensuing kickoff and handed it to tight end Frank Wycheck, who ran along the 25-yard line, directly beneath my press box seat. Wycheck stepped back to his left and threw a jump-pass to Titans wide receiver Kevin Dyson, who took off 75 yards for the game-winning score.

Madness erupted. Tennessee celebrated. Officials huddled and, eventually, ruled.

In their opinion, the pass was a backward legal lateral.

Only it wasn’t. Their decision should have been overturned and/or overruled.

There wasn’t— and still isn’t — a game official, TV camera, replay booth or single person who had a better view than I did of the play that unfolded directly beneath me. Two trusted and reliable sources confirmed to me it was a forward lateral.

My left eye and my right eye.

Each — with condolences to Buffalo and its tremendous fans — reported it was an undisputed forward lateral. Officials did not see it that way, but officials did not have my prime seat for the play that still is being replayed, over and over, 19 years later.

Instead, the play sent the Bills home and the Titans to the divisional round and eventually the Super Bowl.

There will be more memorable and historical moments, plays that send teams on or send them home. There will be plays that children remember as adults, and adults carry with them the rest of their lives. There always are. The joy that single plays can bring to certain cities is directly proportionate to the misery the same play can bring to other cities. Just ask Buffalo.

Now, 19 years have come and gone since a forward pass dubbed the “Music City Miracle” ended the Bills’ season.

In all that time, nothing has changed the fact that on Jan. 8, 2000, the Titans’ season should have ended and the Bills’ should have continued.

Eyes don’t lie.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 6

and Steve McNair shouldn't have been given a first down on the review during the drive that gave them the lead before Christie's FG. We would have won sooner. Poorly officiated game all around.  The forward lateral was a close call, the first down was not. I'm still mad about that one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Devilmann said:

Sometimes I think it was payback (karma if you want to call it) for that Beebe catch when he stepped out of bounds in the comeback game against the Oilers

Yeah,  getting our butts kicked again in the Super Bowl wasn't enough.