New Coaches Hired - QB, WR

eSJayDee

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...bingo....A SLAM DUNK BUD...Scam is the first one to throw teammates under the bus and is distracted by his fedora/garb selection for "ME" pressers.....RG II 1/8 was the same "ME", and teammates were always at fault.....Kaep got caught up in success too early on and lost HIS focus with tats 'n poses.......this IS a HIGH paying big boyz game that demands game/ethic focus LONG before any "ME" garbage......Allen has LASER like focus IMO.....

You mean Kaep isnt out of the league because we are all racists.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t know enough to have a firm opinion, but this seems to be the opposite of the anti-retread line of thinking. 

I understand this kind of a perspective, but experience can be a very positive attribute for coaches.  I also don't think anyone is in favor of hiring a retread that has had limited or no success, but there were a number of assistant coaches and coordinators that were available who would have been good hires.  I also understand that many coaches may not want to come to Buffalo for any number of reasons, including team or area related, so it is not only difficult to assess these hires but also how many potential candidates were interested in coming to Buffalo.

Edited by jahnyc

1 minute ago, jahnyc said:

I understand this kind of a perspective, but experience can be a very positive attribute for coaches.  I also don't think anyone is in favor of hiring a retread that has had limited or no success, but there are a number of assistant coaches and coordinators that were available who would have been good hires.  I also understand that many of coaches may not want to come to Buffalo for any number of reasons, including team or area related, so it is not only difficult to assess these hires but also how many potential candidates were interested in coming to Buffalo.

They will be judged by their results. In the meantime, I think the Rams are fine with their choice at HC. Experience has very real value, as does fresh innovative thinking. Will we get that? I don’t know, but my job isn’t hanging in the balance. Time will tell. 

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Chad Hall - 15 career receptions for 144 yards.  Perfect fit for the Bills WR corps

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

They will be judged by their results. In the meantime, I think the Rams are fine with their choice at HC. Experience has very real value, as does fresh innovative thinking. Will we get that? I don’t know, but my job isn’t hanging in the balance. Time will tell. 

Agree with you that time will tell.  I do find it interesting that McD went for younger coaches across the board for his hires (OL, WR, QB coach and ST coordinator).  

Couple of side notes on Dorsey.

He served as Derek Anderson's backup in Cleveland playing for Romeo Crennel (so he kind of sort of falls in the Belichick tree). 

He's a a disciple of Mike Shula, who has had his ups and downs. What stands out to me though is that Shula is an Erhardt-Perkins guy through and through. Hell, Shula played for Ray Perkins at Alabama back in the 80s. The positive here is that Dorsey is going to be on the same page with Daboll and will be speaking the same language. 

I also like like the fact that he's worked as a pro scout and in college athletics, as well as IMG academy. He has a ton of experience that makes him pretty well rounded for such a young guy. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, justpunt said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player/cameron-newton

Nothing about Newton's development suggests Dorsey can develop a  qb.   Newton is average qb and didn't improve under Dorsey. Had an MVP year but not great qbr and also had his worst qbr under Dorsey.  Completion percentage went up after Dorsey left.  Not thrilled.   

LOL

6 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Former Panther and FO:

Mike Tolbert, Kaelin Klay, Kelvin Bumjamin, Star Lotuleilei, Dean Marlowe, Joe Webb, Corey Brown, Leanord Johnson, Sean McDermott, Beane, Heath Farwell, Dan Morgan, Ken Dorsey, Matt Worswick. 

I'm sure I've missed some, some are obscure low level staffers, but it's pretty damn clear they play favorites with familiar faces. 

So, according to your list, the Bills currently have:

2 of their 63 current players who came over from Carolina

3 of 31 coaches/trainers with a Carolina connection (1 of the 3 who didn't even coach in Carolina when McDermott and Beane were there)

and 1 of 27 FO/personnel people from Carolina

So, six out of 123 people (or just under 5% of the team's players and staff). That is hardly a pipeline. And even if there are a few more that you forgot and you add in the other players you listed who are no longer with the team, it would only bring that percentage up to maybe 9-10%. So, to paint it as they only or mostly hire Carolina guys or that they hire Carolina guys to the detriment of the team seems like kind of an inaccurate picture. And Benjamin seems to be the only real mistake out of those hires. Klay, Webb, Brown, and Johnson were all just stop-gap players while the team got on its feet. They filled their role. Even Tolbert, who was not good on the field, filled his role in the locker room, setting a tone and helping to teach the process. And they let all of those guys go when they were able to upgrade their positions. We don't know yet about Farwell or Dorsey and Morgan and Worswick appear to be doing a good job. So, why complain about this Carolina connection? Is it hurting the team in some way? I don't understand the angst over it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Longer than kingsbury was at USC

Hey they are all McVay 's :D

also tired of the Cam comparisons. They may have similar physical abilities but mentally they are miles apart. Cam was/is known for pouting when things dont go his way and the infamous "business decision" to protect his legs during the Super Bowl because of his fumble. This will never happen with Josh.

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Called it!

Which?

13 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I've been singing Dorseys praises a long time and his work with the idiot in Carolina was amazing. The guy is a great QB coach and it's a shame that he had such an uncoachable talent down there.

He can speak to QB's and understand the defense very well. Very happy for this.  Dude will be an OC in 3 or 4 years.

we might finally be getting the staff McD has been working towards .

11 hours ago, Logic said:

Just wanted to pop into say this:

I LOVE the fact that Sean McDermott populated his staff with super-experienced veterans that he could lean on in his first two seasons, then replaced those experienced coaching vets with young, hungry, high energy up-and-comers once he had a handle on things. A great and methodical and totally logical approach. Love it.

Thats our coach. The thing i like best about him was he said when got hired that he always reviews his day to make improvements. A guy like that can only get better and eventually will be the best.

15 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I didn’t realize how young Ken Dorsey is. He’s only 37yrs old. For some reason I thought he was older. 

I thought he was younger as it seemed like yesterday Miami was competing for National Championships.  Cam Newton had nothing but great things to say about him and Allen's a similar type of quarterback so I think it's a good hire.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I actually think Allen has more upside than Cam.  I agree that Allen is more mentally focused and coachable as well.

Was just thinking the same thing. Josh may be more “talented” than any QB in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, folz said:

3 of 31 coaches/trainers with a Carolina connection (1 of the 3 who didn't even coach in Carolina when McDermott and Beane were there)

So, six out of 123 people (or just under 5% of the team's players and staff). That is hardly a pipeline. And even if there are a few more that you forgot and you add in the other players you listed who are no longer with the team, it would only bring that percentage up to maybe 9-10%. So, to paint it as they only or mostly hire Carolina guys or that they hire Carolina guys to the detriment of the team seems like kind of an inaccurate picture. And Benjamin seems to be the only real mistake out of those hires. Klay, Webb, Brown, and Johnson were all just stop-gap players while the team got on its feet. They filled their role. Even Tolbert, who was not good on the field, filled his role in the locker room, setting a tone and helping to teach the process. And they let all of those guys go when they were able to upgrade their positions. We don't know yet about Farwell or Dorsey and Morgan and Worswick appear to be doing a good job. So, why complain about this Carolina connection? Is it hurting the team in some way? I don't understand the angst over it.

Perfect and the percentage drops more when you think it is over 2 years and people are talking about 2 players, 2 coaches with a connection, and 1 FO person.

There is a bigger pipeline in Baltimore and Miami which both exceed the number of Carolina connections already. 

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Perfect and the percentage drops more when you think it is over 2 years and people are talking about 2 players, 2 coaches with a connection, and 1 FO person.

There is a bigger pipeline in Baltimore and Miami which both exceed the number of Carolina connections already. 

...great investigative work by "folz".....think it's more of an overplayed joke now versus anything of substance.......

7 hours ago, folz said:

....GREAT work bud........:thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Logic said:

Just wanted to pop into say this:

I LOVE the fact that Sean McDermott populated his staff with super-experienced veterans that he could lean on in his first two seasons, then replaced those experienced coaching vets with young, hungry, high energy up-and-comers once he had a handle on things. A great and methodical and totally logical approach. Love it.

This is exactly how I perceived it. He went with as much experience as possible at first being that he has never been a head coach before but now that he feels comfortable, he more than likely feels he can go in another direction because of his comfort level in the HC position.

Side note ... I hope they keep playing the Madden NFL football game in their classroom training sessions. If that game has taught me anything about real football it's situational football and clock management, two things that I believe Coach McDermott or any coach for that matter can ALWAYS seek to continue improving on.

9 hours ago, folz said:

Awesome! I took a screenshot of this post just to pull out and reference anytime someone brings up the fake news about the Carolina to bills connection. On top of that if the Bills head trust thinks it's the best fit going forward who cares if they came from Mars. (No offense Martians)  As for our new QB coach, I think that move is going to pay off major dividends on many levels. Having Anderson and Dorsey are going to help Allen become better. I believe the coaches want to try to recreate what they had in Carolina in 2015, nothing wrong with that. I also believe that it's a possibility, although pure speculation on my part, that the reasons Dorsey wasn't hired last year to be the offensive coordinator was #1 because we didn't have our quarterback yet, #2 McDermott wanted as much experience as possible on every side of the ball. All in all I think the Bills got the right man for the job but only time will tell.