New Coaches Hired - QB, WR

eSJayDee

47 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Another Carolina connection....folks cannot deny the trend with decisions.

That being said, I do like the hire... I think he will be solid in the role.

Which happens all the time in the NFL.. Coaches/GMs hire guys they they are familiar with and have working relationships with.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I've been singing Dorseys praises a long time and his work with the idiot in Carolina was amazing. The guy is a great QB coach and it's a shame that he had such an uncoachable talent down there.

He can speak to QB's and understand the defense very well. Very happy for this.  Dude will be an OC in 3 or 4 years.

Dorsey was so amazing in Carolina that he turned Newton into a Rookie Pro Bowler.....2 years before he was hired as  QB coach!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I am pretty underwhelmed by the new hires to the coaching staff.  There were a lot of experienced assistant coaches and coordinators available after the season with all of the head coaching changes.  Were these the most qualified assistant coaches that we could hire?  Was Dorsey the best QB coach that was available to us?  At this point, I am not sure if there is anything more important to the future success of the team than Allen's development.  I also find the continuing reach back and connections to the Panthers a bit tiresome.

Dont know but Cam seemed to look good early in the season.  

That was with Scott Turner last year.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

Just wanted to pop into say this:

I LOVE the fact that Sean McDermott populated his staff with super-experienced veterans that he could lean on in his first two seasons, then replaced those experienced coaching vets with young, hungry, high energy up-and-comers once he had a handle on things. A great and methodical and totally logical approach. Love it.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I like the way the Bills put it...

Hall replaces Terry Robiskie, who left to become running backs coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars.”

He didn’t leave - he was fired.  He didn’t become running backs coach for the Jaguars until after the Bills fired his ass!

8 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Dont know but Cam seemed to look good early in the season.  

That was with Scott Turner last year.

Cam was hurt most of last year, and correct that Dorsey was gone. Cam went to the SB and was league MVP with Dorsey as his QB coach. Cam is talented and physically gifted but not an easy guy to coach, I would assume. Josh is also talented (maybe not as much as Cam) and similarly physically gifted but much more heady, mentally focused and coachable. Imo

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

Love both hires. Go young with coaching and see if something sticks. No reason to hire the Culley’s Of be NFL that have been bounced around from team to team and were never that great anyways. I’ll take the unknown everytime. 

Much higher chance of success with a young guy than someone who has bounced around. I’m glad to see our organization head in this direction. It was hilarious to see the Dolphins hire Crossman though.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Which happens all the time in the NFL.. Coaches/GMs hire guys they they are familiar with and have working relationships with.  

This is true for most businesses, and folks in hiring positions. Truth.

I was simply saying it is an evident trend that the McBeane leans towards those they had worked with in Carolina, not passing judgment.

Not a huge problem unless they are dismissing candidates with superior talent for others they simply know better.

I don't think we have seen that yet. I honestly feel they are trying to build a good staff, rather than the Niagra Chapter of Club Carolina.

As I mentioned before McDermott has not exactly been shy about flushing former colleagues when he feels they are not getting it done and looking elsewhere

I like this hire.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just wanted to pop into say this:

I LOVE the fact that Sean McDermott populated his staff with super-experienced veterans that he could lean on in his first two seasons, then replaced those experienced coaching vets with young, hungry, high energy up-and-comers once he had a handle on things. A great and methodical and totally logical approach. Love it.

I agree with Logic on this.  This is a logical approach in the development of both McD and the coaching staff of the team.  Dorsey is a smart guy who played as well as he did because of his intelligence and not an over abundance of physical talent.  He has been seen as having the potential to be an OC in the league.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I am pretty underwhelmed by the new hires to the coaching staff.  There were a lot of experienced assistant coaches and coordinators available after the season with all of the head coaching changes.  Were these the most qualified assistant coaches that we could hire?  Was Dorsey the best QB coach that was available to us?  At this point, I am not sure if there is anything more important to the future success of the team than Allen's development.  I also find the continuing reach back and connections to the Panthers a bit tiresome.

I don’t know enough to have a firm opinion, but this seems to be the opposite of the anti-retread line of thinking. 

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Another Carolina connection....folks cannot deny the trend with decisions.

That being said, I do like the hire... I think he will be solid in the role.

Doesnt surprise me.  Carolina has had some succes.  Now if they were raiding the Browns 2017 Staff I would be concerned.

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cam was hurt most of last year, and correct that Dorsey was gone. Cam went to the SB and was league MVP with Dorsey as his QB coach. Cam is talented and physically gifted but not an easy guy to coach, I would assume. Josh is also talented (maybe not as much as Cam) and similarly physically gifted but much more heady, mentally focused and coachable. Imo

I actually think Allen has more upside than Cam.  I agree that Allen is more mentally focused and coachable as well.

• Like (+1) 4