Potential Bills FA target Tyrell Williams considers himself a #1 WR

YoloinOhio

I still think our next good receiver is going to come out of the draft.....

but that does not mean we should not bolster our WR core in free agency.......on this team this guy is probably our number 2

I am a big Deebo Samuel fan.....and I think he is gonna be available in the 2nd round of this draft.

I love the draft mock where we trade back one spot with Denver for a 3rd...then trade down into the teens for another 2nd rounder

Giving us

1 - 1st

2 - 2nds

Cody Ford in the first

Deebo Samuel in the second

Reisner in the 2nd?

Pick up a solid RT in free agency

13 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Why are yall l being so cheap. I thought we got rid of a lot of guys and suffered through a bad season so we don't have to be cheap amymore?

let's get some real players in here so we can win.

If he was a real good WR maybe but he’s not really that good 

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

If he was a real good WR maybe but he’s not really that good 

How so?  Whenever I saw SD play especially in the playoffs he looked good.  He only dropped 2 passes last year or so I hear.  Would certainly make for a short Josh Allen drop video next year.

We need serious improvement at this position if we are to compete for playoffs.

I'm not married to this guy, but we do need a strong veteran WR presence to both catch the football and help Wonder Boy telling him what somebody like Philip Rivers does for example.

The guy I really want is Golden Tate.  His experience playing with Russell could be extremely helpful as Wonder Boy has a similar game.  And he can catch and RAC.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

How so?  Whenever I saw SD play especially in the playoffs he looked good.  He only dropped 2 passes last year or so I hear.  Would certainly make for a short Josh Allen drop video next year.

We need serious improvement at this position if we are to compete for playoffs.

I'm not married to this guy, but we do need a strong veteran WR presence to both catch the football and help Wonder Boy telling him what somebody like Philip Rivers does for example.

The guy I really want is Golden Tate.  His experience playing with Russell could be extremely helpful as Wonder Boy has a similar game.  And he can catch and RAC.

I wouldn't be opposed to Williams or Tate. DeAndre Hopkins ain't walking through that door. We've got to improve the position ASAP and if it means taking a shot, you shoot your shot. 

FWIW: Wonder Boy is solid but I still prefer Boy Wonder.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/30/2019 at 7:42 PM, billsfan89 said:

I think he gets at worst 12 million aav and could get as high as 14-15 million aav. Personally I am not sure which vet WR the Bills will land. T.Williams and Tate are going to command huge money, I am not sure who else is really good on the market, John Brown will get paid close to 10 million aav not sure if he is a quality WR2 or not. There doesn't seem to be much else on the market other than Cole Beasely or maybe a released veteran like DeSean Jackson. 

I don't see any way he gets 14-15 million.  

On 1/31/2019 at 3:04 AM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I feel like that has always been the case.  Wasn't there a point in time when it had been like 5 years since a Super Bowl winning team even had a round 1 WR?  I mean, how good are the Giants? Or the Falcons? Or the Bengals?  They all have those stellar WR1s, but what has that done for them? 

Isn't Sammy Watkins on the Rams? Brandin Cooks, too. Both firsts, though not to L.A., obviously. And Cordarrelle Patterson and Philip Dorsett on the Pats. This year's SB would tend to make the argument that you need two guys among your roster who were drafted in the first round, but not by your team.

Last year, the champion Eagles had Agholor, who they'd drafted in the first, Jeffery who the Bears drafted in the 2nd and Ertz, who the Eagles drafted at #35.

What good trading like five guys for the right to draft Julio Jones is it got them to the Super Bowl very recently. And I don't even like that trade.

Arguing that there are some bad teams with #1 WRs therefore you don't need one is not a good argument. You could say the same thing about, say, the Chargers and Phillip Rivers. He hasn't got them to a Super Bowl so I guess you don't need an excellent QB. Except it really really really helps.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:59 PM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Like I have stated in other threads about Williams, he has decent hands, excellent straight line speed, and is a strider.  However, he is not a crisp route runner.  He would be a solid #2 or #3, but he's not worth #1 money.  He really excels at shallow drags and medium crossing routes because he can out run the defender and turn an 8yd crosser into 15-20 yard gains.   He's a decent bomb threat.  Where he struggles is trying to sell double cut moves because of his long legs, he tends to round his cuts. 

I disagree.  Ill admit I haven't watched more than a half a dozen games and some highlights but he looks like a guy that runs good routes.  

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Speed, agility, stop and start, hands and route running, Tyrell Williams has none of these things. I would take Robert Woods over this guy and it's not even close. 

Oh, is Robert Woods available and I missed it?

If you don't like Williams, it's fine, but to say he doesn't have speed and agility? C'mon, man!

1 hour ago, Logic said:

If you don't like Williams, it's fine, but to say he doesn't have speed and agility? C'mon, man!

He has speed but I wouldn’t say he has great agility.  Maybe body control. Idk, he’s be an upgrade but i really don’t wanna spend even 10 mill a year on the guy. I’d be ok with 8 and wish we still had Bob woods. I don’t think he’s THAT much better than foster and Zay.  Better?  Maybe, but 10 mill a year better? Ehhhhh.  

1 hour ago, Logic said:

He ran a 4.42 and in pads he doesn't seem to blow by defenders. He has Improved his route running and is very good at boxing out for jump balls but everything else this guy does is very average for over 10 mil a year. 

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Isn't Sammy Watkins on the Rams? Brandin Cooks, too. Both firsts, though not to L.A., obviously. And Cordarrelle Patterson and Philip Dorsett on the Pats. This year's SB would tend to make the argument that you need two guys among your roster who were drafted in the first round, but not by your team.

Last year, the champion Eagles had Agholor, who they'd drafted in the first, Jeffery who the Bears drafted in the 2nd and Ertz, who the Eagles drafted at #35.

What good trading like five guys for the right to draft Julio Jones is it got them to the Super Bowl very recently. And I don't even like that trade.

Arguing that there are some bad teams with #1 WRs therefore you don't need one is not a good argument. You could say the same thing about, say, the Chargers and Phillip Rivers. He hasn't got them to a Super Bowl so I guess you don't need an excellent QB. Except it really really really helps.

That really isn’t so much my argument. I expanded on my point a little bit after that first post. What I’m really saying is that is that the asset allocation for WR1 doesn’t make sense. Those guys you mention didn’t require massive contracts because they never really lived up to OBJ, Jones, etc. status. They were good but not elite. I think we are better off with mid level WR2s. And I think that most good teams are built that way. 

That is nice for him. He isn't though. Not even close. 

On 1/31/2019 at 1:59 AM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Like I have stated in other threads about Williams, he has decent hands, excellent straight line speed, and is a strider.  However, he is not a crisp route runner.  He would be a solid #2 or #3, but he's not worth #1 money.  He really excels at shallow drags and medium crossing routes because he can out run the defender and turn an 8yd crosser into 15-20 yard gains.   He's a decent bomb threat.  Where he struggles is trying to sell double cut moves because of his long legs, he tends to round his cuts. 

Absolutely 100% what I see too. I'd add to that his hands are only okay. 

Edited by GunnerBill

On 1/30/2019 at 2:37 PM, Logic said:

For all the smack talking about Williams being done in this thread, I'll say this:

Williams on one side, Foster on the other, and Zay Jones in the slot, with Duke Williams and Ian McKenzie as red zone and depth guys, respectively...would be a productive WR corps. 

I was encouraged by Foster’s late season performance, but it is premature to think that you can count on him to be a productive front line WR.  I *hope* he continues to play well and get better, but there have been a lot of flash-in-the-pans who fade away.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I was encouraged by Foster’s late season performance, but it is premature to think that you can count on him to be a productive front line WR.  I *hope* he continues to play well and get better, but there have been a lot of flash-in-the-pans who fade away.

Resources are scarce.  There are no true #1 WR's in FA and the #2s are marginal at best.  I don't think you can count on a 2019 rookie WR, Zay Jones, D'Haquille William or even Tyrell Williams to be a front line WR so by default it will have to be Foster.  And there's no reason to think he can't be counted on given what he showed in such a limited time-frame.  

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Resources are scarce.  There are no true #1 WR's in FA and the #2s are marginal at best.  I don't think you can count on a 2019 rookie WR, Zay Jones, D'Haquille William or even Tyrell Williams to be a front line WR so by default it will have to be Foster.  And there's no reason to think he can't be counted on given what he showed in such a limited time-frame.  

I’m not anti-Foster nor even predicting that he will fade to obscurity.  I’m only saying that if the opportunity appears in FA or the draft to get a good WR, I would not turn it down just because Foster showed something at the end of the season.  

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not anti-Foster nor even predicting that he will fade to obscurity.  I’m only saying that if the opportunity appears in FA or the draft to get a good WR, I would not turn it down just because Foster showed something at the end of the season.  

No I get what you're saying but there just isn't a true #1 WR on the market so therefore you're looking at #2's, and none of them are players you can necessarily count on more than Foster.  And given the paucity of good FA WR's, their price tags are likely going to be pushed into what was previously the low #1 territory, a la Enunwa.  Again I'd rather go into the season with Foster, Williams, Jones, McKenzie, and a rookie WR with potential to be a #1 than sign a FA WR just because there's questions on whether you can count on Foster.  I mean, it's not like he flashed for a game or two: the guy had an excellent 7 game stretch.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

No I get what you're saying but there just isn't a true #1 WR on the market so therefore you're looking at #2's, and none of them are players you can necessarily count on more than Foster.  And given the paucity of good FA WR's, their price tags are likely going to be pushed into what was previously the low #1 territory, a la Enunwa.  Again I'd rather go into the season with Foster, Williams, Jones, McKenzie, and a rookie WR with potential to be a #1 than sign a FA WR just because there's questions on whether you can count on Foster.  I mean, it's not like he flashed for a game or two: the guy had an excellent 7 game stretch.

I think we are pretty aligned on that.

• Like (+1) 1