How the Super Bowl Isn't Quite as Super as it Use to Be !!

T master

19 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

After the fiasco of both title games, the Super Bowl just feels like an overhyped WWE match. I don't even think I can watch the Pats get phantom calls and the sh^thead announcers fawn over Brady like he's Hulk Hogan in his prime. The hyped up crappy commercials, the bloated overly political half-time show with lame ass performers spouting off about Krapernick and fake causes. The Super Bowl has definitely lost its luster and even the fact that NE is in it and Goodell is still commissioner is a crime against the game itself. I love football, but am growing to hate the Stuper Bowl.

The worst call of the Pats game by far was the non-offensive PI call on KC that let KC take the lead 28-24. It was such blatant offensive PI that the blocking KC receiver took out not one but TWO NE secondary guys, and made zero attempt to make it look like he was actually running a route. It led to a 38 yard pass play to Watkins that put KC at the 1 yard line, after which they punched it in. It was a far worse ref mistake than the PF call on the blow to the head. The NO non-call was legit terrible, but please regarding the NE/KC game. The Pats got no favors in that game when you measure it against what KC got themselves. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The worst call of the Pats game by far was the non-offensive PI call on KC that let KC take the lead 28-24. It was such blatant offensive PI that the blocking KC receiver took out not one but TWO NE secondary guys, and made zero attempt to make it look like he was actually running a route. It led to a 38 yard pass play to Watkins that put KC at the 1 yard line, after which they punched it in. It was a far worse ref mistake than the PF call on the blow to the head. The NO non-call was legit terrible, but please regarding the NE/KC game. The Pats got no favors in that game when you measure it against what KC got themselves. 

As a dispassionate observer wrt officiating..........I thought the Pats clearly got the benefit of more bad officiating in that game than KC...........but I also think the better team won.

Likewise..........the Saints got the benefit of the calls thru most of the game and had a huge advantage with the ridiculous amount of artificial noise in that dome(interesting that metal whistles made it thru the metal detectors....hmmm.......good luck getting those thru at the military installation known as New Era Field).     To my suprise the Rams were clearly the better team.    Perhaps it took an egregious officiating error at the end of the game for it to be so........but I think if the game was officiated correctly from beginning to end(in a perfect world that doesn't exist) then the Rams win in regulation.    

It sucks that the Patriots made it..........but I am satisfied that the two best teams are in the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I feel that way, not just with the Super Bowl, but football in general. I still like it, but I don't feel the magic I used to. I attribute it to getting older.

I have enjoyed college more recently than 20 years ago when you knew who the winner was generally before the game started. Take away Bama and Clemson and every other game has a chance to be great. In the NFL the officiating has made it boring to watch unless ypu really care about teams.

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As a dispassionate observer wrt officiating..........I thought the Pats clearly got the benefit of more bad officiating in that game than KC...........but I also think the better team won.

Likewise..........the Saints got the benefit of the calls thru most of the game and had a huge advantage with the ridiculous amount of artificial noise in that dome(interesting that metal whistles made it thru the metal detectors....hmmm.......good luck getting those thru at the military installation known as New Era Field).     To my suprise the Rams were clearly the better team.    Perhaps it took an egregious officiating error at the end of the game for it to be so........but I think if the game was officiated correctly from beginning to end(in a perfect world that doesn't exist) then the Rams win in regulation.    

It sucks that the Patriots made it..........but I am satisfied that the two best teams are in the SB.

Care to quantify the difference in favro of the Pats that you’re positing? Because from my perch, this play was a 48 yard swing in crunch time in favor of KC (38 yard pass plus missing 10 yard penalty), and in terms of egrgiousness, it went unmatched in the rest of the game. It really doesn’t get more blatant than this.

Edited by dave mcbride

25 minutes ago, major said:

When I see the old super bowl highlights I realize how far the super bowl has fallen. It used to be more about football and less about half time show or commercials. Sorry to sound like the old “back in my day” guy

I don’t think the game has fallen as much as the hype around it has risen. I recommend you just focus on the game. That’s what I try to do. I think I was there in your day.  No more Hank Stram games. 

On 1/29/2019 at 9:42 PM, BillsRdue said:

After the fiasco of both title games, the Super Bowl just feels like an overhyped WWE match. I don't even think I can watch the Pats get phantom calls and the sh^thead announcers fawn over Brady like he's Hulk Hogan in his prime. The hyped up crappy commercials, the bloated overly political half-time show with lame ass performers spouting off about Krapernick and fake causes. The Super Bowl has definitely lost its luster and even the fact that NE is in it and Goodell is still commissioner is a crime against the game itself. I love football, but am growing to hate the Stuper Bowl.

Why, because one or both teams you don't like made the Super Bowl or because the Bills have been irrelevant to it for a quarter of a century?  Both championship games were exciting because of how close they were, and hopefully the Super Bowl will be a close, exciting game as well.

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Why, because one or both teams you don't like made the Super Bowl or because the Bills have been irrelevant to it for a quarter of a century?  Both championship games were exciting because of how close they were, and hopefully the Super Bowl will be a close, exciting game as well.

Not saying the games weren't great, but both games were out of the players hands and that is a shame. Goodell has turned the NFL into the WWE. Don't get me wrong, I love the game of football and the Super Bowl. But now the game isn't even the focal point of this event anymore, which is what I don't like. And the game that is on the field has been neutered by new set of rules to make it resemble Arena League action. What's worse is that these new rules consistently put the games outcome into the hands of the officials and judgement calls often dictate the winner. The credibility of the game itself and the winning and losing teams is in jeopardy and the league looks at it with a blind eye. This is why it is not the same to me anymore. This year with another Pats Super Bowl just drives the stake deeper into the heart of most Bills fans.

My concern is the same team in the SB almost every year, yes if it were Buffalo or Pittsburgh I would be happy but I'd still want some parity every once in awhile. I find myself only watching the SB to root against whoever the Pats are playing which is getting quite ridiculous as I couldn't stand the Eagles winning last season and I don't really care for the rams either this year. The fact that Tom Brady almost all but announced he's coming back again almost guarantees we'll see another New England SB, there is only so much I can take of this team after seeing them twice a year and almost every SB since 2001, I only watched half of the SB last year and I'm very much debating watching it this year since I think NE is going to stomp on Goff and the Rams.

I am surprised that no one mentioned the Super Bowl pools/boxes. Some of them can be pretty huge and non-fans buy them all the time, including women.

I have no idea what the percentages are and there would seem to be no way to tell, but it wouldn't surprise me is at least 20% of the audience watches to see if they win on a box. As a Bills Fan this would be my main concern. Btw the best numbers (by far) are 0-0.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:48 PM, T master said:

Although i know what some will say then don't watch them but what is the sense of even showing them ? What happened to the teaser in TV sure they could maybe show a small piece of a couple to get us to wonder what happens like they do in TV shows but why show them at all ? If the NFL wonders why viewership may be down could this type of thinking be a part of the reason ? 

There was a story that one of the performers for half time will not even do any interviews or teasers due to treatment of Kaep.

Evidently money is good enough to come despite this; isn't money morality great?

NFL Contract people need to think more and add clauses for things like this; one of the performers may actually do a protest with his dancers.

It’s the best day of the year for the casual football fan but the worst for the diehard (unless your team is in it). It just means the seasons over and after the final gun, it’s FOREVER until the next season. The NFL season is way to short. I wish they would add more games. Give them more byes too. Anything to help extend the year. You wait all year for the season to start, then it finally does and if you blink, it’s over.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:48 PM, T master said:

The Super Bowl use to be the biggest game ever, the most anticipated because of the teams, the players, the coaches the half time show, & one of the things we all couldn't wait to see & a big part of the reason why we watched was because of the commercials some of them have become iconic in nature .

As i sit writing this there is a show on that shows a lot of the classic TV commercials but before the end of the show & i'm not sure who gave the okay to do so the past few years they will show most of the TV commercials that will air during this years Super Bowl .

So i ask you if they show all the TV commercials made especially for the SB what's the sense of watching to see the Super Bowl commercials ?

Although i know what some will say then don't watch them but what is the sense of even showing them ? What happened to the teaser in TV sure they could maybe show a small piece of a couple to get us to wonder what happens like they do in TV shows but why show them at all ? If the NFL wonders why viewership may be down could this type of thinking be a part of the reason ? 

If this is what they do with the commercials why not show us what the half time show before the game too, just have a show that goes inside the half time show practice so we know what that will be like too !

The Madden thing is all in fun because we don't know who is actually going to win the game it's just speculation, but showing the commercials just takes a little bit away from the game  .It's just another thing that has changed the watching of the game that was so Super just a little bit less Super than it use to be ... 

Please, don’t take this the wrong way as I’m just curious, but how old are you? The early Super Bowls were almost non-events. I have an old tennis buddy who was in college for one of the early SB’s and went just because the tickets were less than $5. 

You seem to focus (at least in your post) on the commercials. WHY?  I’m guessing you're upset with the SB/commercial attention ratio? We always had commercials, and I’ve always been about 98% about the football. YOU decide what’s important to you. It’s what you decide to focus on, I think. Don’t get me started on the halftime nonsense.....

Just curious in a friendly way. 

They show the commercials early (apparently, as I’ve not seen any) to make more money, and I didn’t  notice or care. I watch the game. 

13 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I will set the DVR and  if I like the outcome watch it  

No need. It will probably be replayed the next day on NFL Network and at least 50 more times in the next couple of weeks...100, if the Pats* win.