Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

At least the tank is going pretty well, if the Red Wings hold on against the Bruins the Sabres are in 4th.

Red Wings won. 

It makes me want to puke to have to start thinking about another top 5 pick and draft lottery... but that is where we’re at, unfortunately. 

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

from the looks of tankathon, the Sabres are most likely locked in to either the #4 or #5 spot, pre-lottery. 

Buffalo has 72pts. 

NJ sits at #3 and they are 4pts behind us. I don’t see them getting 5 points in their last 3 games. 

Anaheim sits at #6 with 76 pts and only 2 games to play. Even assuming that Anaheim doesn’t get another point, I don’t see the Sabres picking up 5 out of 6 points. 4pts would tie, but Anaheim has 2 more regulation wins, so buffalo wins (loses...) the tie breaker. 

Very small chance that buffalo can get to the #3 spot. LA has 67 pts. with 4 games left to play. So there are 8 pts on the table. If buffalo doesn’t get another point and LA picks up 5pts, they would leapfrog us and NJ, pushing us down to #3. 

There isn’t enough of a difference in possible draft position for me to root for losses. Plus, I really want to see the Sabres end the season with some wins for their morale. They lost 7 straight. Their spirits are crushed enough without ending with 3 more losses. 

Ugh, Buffalo sports teams have perfected the art of torture.... lol

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Man. I know it’s only 3 games left, but I feel really bad for Phil. Should he be out of his misery now? Seems to me that would be the honorable thing to do if you are going to fire him anyway

Just the opposite.  It would be pretty back handed to fire him prior to the end of the year.  It's more a mark of respect to give him the full season. 

6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

At least the tank is going pretty well, if the Red Wings hold on against the Bruins the Sabres are in 4th.

Who's tanking?  We just suck!  But yes, nice to be in 4th.  We have like a 30% chance of picking 1, 2, or 3 in the draft now.

5 hours ago, GG said:

I think you meant to say for all intensive purposes. 

:lol:    :thumbsup:

On 3/30/2019 at 8:25 PM, YoloinOhio said:

No way Housely isn’t fired, right? 

On 3/30/2019 at 9:23 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

I was trying to imagine if I was Botts and I wanted to bring him back, how would I spin it? It’s a near impossible task.

On 3/31/2019 at 6:26 AM, Boca BIlls said:

Housely will be fired.

On 3/31/2019 at 10:57 AM, Alaska Darin said:

I don't know how Housely survives.  This team doesn't have a talent problem, it has a coaching problem.  There are plenty of options out there who've had NHL success (Joel Quenville, anyone?).  The Pegulas need to stick with Botterill but move on quickly from Housely to a coach with a winning pedigree and spend whatever is necessary to do it.

23 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

You can see the coaching is the worst of the problem right now. You know the GM isnt getting fired no matter what sadly. You go after what you know can be changed right now.

57 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Really thought that would have fired PH today. 

Well, I hear what all of you are saying, but the same group of players ran Bylsma out of town and now are running Housley out of town. That can't be coincidence.

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Well, I hear what all of you are saying, but the same group of players ran Bylsma out of town and now are running Housley out of town. That can't be coincidence.

Can't fire all the players...

10 new skaters in 17-18, and this year ..5 new skaters and 2 goalies...been plenty of turnovers of players..1 coach and GM

Ultimately the results are just too poor. I don’t think the roster is good enough to compete, but it’s incumbent on the coach to get something.

More successful coaches have been fired for less. 

I don’t see any fan dragging Housley too bad. He’s got a lousy roster to work with, but it’s just time to shake it up once again.

Edited by Rockpile233

Well they aren't the same but that tends to happen when you have subpar coaches.

Taylor is an awful choice.  there could be 30 other openings and his name wouldn't come up.  Has yet to win an AHL playoff game and in his 2nd year as a pro coach.  Completely green, just like Housley.  

Its a heavy lift.  They need experience and a pedigree.

8 hours ago, zevo said:

So for the folks that follow Rochester....i hear good things about chris Taylor....seems to be the most probable successor....thoughts? 

He is far from the most probable successor.

If Phil is fired, I would hope Pegula would learn from his failures and go with a much more seasoned, veteran coach, with a record of playoff success.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He is far from the most probable successor.

If Phil is fired, I would hope Pegula would learn from his failures and go with a much more seasoned, veteran coach, with a record of playoff success.

I agree...but Eichel needs to be in on the interview process. We have to make sure he’s happy with the selection.