Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just think about this. They essentially were shut out in back to back games against the tje worst team in the league and a bottom 4 team. 1 regulation win in what ,,, 13 games ? 

Outside the streak , Sabres are now officially the worst team in the league in terms of point percentage.  Yes, below Ottawa. 

O have to do the math but since the streak this team might be giving the tank team a run for their money on point percentage. Think about that. Eichel,  Skinner, Dahlin, Risto, Sammy, Okposo, and a supposed real coach with a real system is as bad as a team intentionally set up to lose. 

Wow. 

.343 point pace over the last 51 games since the streak. Our tank year had us at a .329 point pace for the season. So yeah, you’re right, this season has been barely better than a team designed to lose on purpose. Now, the Housely devotees will point out that you can’t discount the streak and that our overall .467 pace for the season is better than the tank year, but I don’t give that streak any credence whatsoever.

It is beyond obvious that this team far more resembles last year’s last place team than the first place team they were for five minutes back in November. 

On another note, the C needs to be taken away from Eichel. Ripped off his jersey like the stripes from Chuck Connors’s military uniform in the old tv show, “Branded.” He may be our best player, but he isn’t captain material. There is a huge leadership vacuum on this team, from the coaches on down. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

.343 point pace over the last 51 games since the streak. Our tank year had us at a .329 point pace for the season. So yeah, you’re right, this season has been barely better than a team designed to lose on purpose. Now, the Housely devotees will point out that you can’t discount the streak and that our overall .467 pace for the season is better than the tank year, but I don’t give that streak any credence whatsoever.

It is beyond obvious that this team far more resembles last year’s last place team than the first place team they were for five minutes back in November. 

On another note, the C needs to be taken away from Eichel. Ripped off his jersey like the stripes from Chuck Connors’s military uniform in the old tv show, “Branded.” He may be our best player, but he isn’t captain material. There is a huge leadership vacuum on this team, from the coaches on down. 

I'm trying to do the math to figure out how the Sabres climb the mountain and get to the top with Eichel still on the team.  This second cycle of ineptitude would wear on anyone.  I like him a lot and I think his circumstances have been unfair but he really hasn't taken on the mantle, at least not visibly.  I'd bet $$$$$$$$$$$$that he simply wants to be on the Bruins.

I think Skinner is as good as gone which creates another gaping hole.  Murray's picks have all sucked out loud, every one of them except Eichel.  Bott's pickups are still a question mark.  Seattle is truthfully in a better position at this point because there is no recent history of failures to overcome.

• Like (+1) 1

Starting to wonder about eichel. Is he a leader here. I hear the talk in the lockeroom. It’s the same every game. 

In in my opinion don’t buy tickets, let Pegula see the place empty.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Thank you!  Very few people "go there" when it comes to Eichel because he has been branded and sold as the franchise savior, going back a full season before he was even drafted by this team.

I had the exact same reaction last night, and said as much at a different forum, after listening to his post-game comments, combined with his in-game play.

He's a very talented point a game forward and would fill a role on a Cup winning team.

He is not Captain material, a leader, or the sort of charismatic leader who is going to throw an entire team on his back and push them to make them all better.  We've seen enough of him by now to know that.  That is not who he is.

ROR was set to be the guy Eichel is supposed to be but isn't.  Then Botterill gave him away for nothing.

I honestly think Dahlin is best set up to be "that guy", but not for another 2 or 3 years when he starts to really hit his stride, probably in year 4 of his career. 

On a different note, if you really want to get depressed, listen to the comments of Pegula and Wifey.  Just beyond clueless.  

Will be an interesting off-season.  Lots and lots of huge, important things need to change if we are going to be any better next season.  I'm not sure the Pegulas understand that.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I'm trying to do the math to figure out how the Sabres climb the mountain and get to the top with Eichel still on the team.  This second cycle of ineptitude would wear on anyone.  I like him a lot and I think his circumstances have been unfair but he really hasn't taken on the mantle, at least not visibly.  I'd bet $$$$$$$$$$$$that he simply wants to be on the Bruins.

I think Skinner is as good as gone which creates another gaping hole.  Murray's picks have all sucked out loud, every one of them except Eichel.  Bott's pickups are still a question mark.  Seattle is truthfully in a better position at this point because there is no recent history of failures to overcome.

Let me be clear; in no way am I advocating getting rid of Eichel. He’s our best player and one of the better players in the league. I just think he shouldn’t be the captain nor do I think it’s that important to him. I get the impression he just wants to play hockey and not be burdened with having to be the locker room leader. And he takes too many shifts off to be an on ice leader. He’s just not a Drury-type of guy who is gonna toss a boom box out of the room after a loss or get in a guy’s grill when a practice is not going crisply. 

I’m worried about losing Skinner, too. This crap show is far worse than the crap show he left in Carolina. 

And I just don’t see how Housely can survive a collapse of historical proportions when he owns the worst record in the league for 133 out of the 158 games he’s coached. 

One thing that’s worse than changing coaches too soon is hiring the wrong coach in the first place. And color me concerned about Pegula’s clueless remark that something needs to change but “we don’t know what.” 

We are years away. Years. And that’s on top of the 8 years it’s been already. 

43 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Let me be clear; in no way am I advocating getting rid of Eichel. He’s our best player and one of the better players in the league. I just think he shouldn’t be the captain nor do I think it’s that important to him. I get the impression he just wants to play hockey and not be burdened with having to be the locker room leader. And he takes too many shifts off to be an on ice leader. He’s just not a Drury-type of guy who is gonna toss a boom box out of the room after a loss or get in a guy’s grill when a practice is not going crisply. 

I’m worried about losing Skinner, too. This crap show is far worse than the crap show he left in Carolina. 

And I just don’t see how Housely can survive a collapse of historical proportions when he owns the worst record in the league for 133 out of the 158 games he’s coached. 

One thing that’s worse than changing coaches too soon is hiring the wrong coach in the first place. And color me concerned about Pegula’s clueless remark that something needs to change but “we don’t know what.” 

We are years away. Years. And that’s on top of the 8 years it’s been already. 

The root cause is still Murray, but it remains to be seen if Botts is the solution IMO.  

Off ice a miracle worker couldn't fix what Murray broke in just two years, but has Botts improved it enough?  On ice they are clearly lacking talent and equally clearly poorly coached.  Bad combo.

Clearly lacking talent, please. That’s all we ever hear. So Carolina and Ottawa have more.

Name the players who shouldn’t be on the current roster.

how did lindy get the 99 team to the finals. He had Dom, Peca and who else.

they worked their ass off. 

If we want to talk about the right player to wear the C, that's fine, but we really need to stop throwing the name of any of the kids out there.  It's a completely subjective cutoff, but at this point, if I'm handing that out to anyone, it needs to be someone over the age of 25.  There needs to be at least some wear on the tires.  I don't care how ready anyone may look, it's time to stop throwing these guys to the wolves.

40 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Clearly lacking talent, please. That’s all we ever hear. So Carolina and Ottawa have more.

Name the players who shouldn’t be on the current roster.

how did lindy get the 99 team to the finals. He had Dom, Peca and who else.

they worked their ass off. 

Lol...yeah that team only had the best goalie to ever play the game on it in the middle of the dead puck era..how ever did Lindy do it?

If you put Hasek on this team then they begin to resemble what the 99 team was...a bubble playoff team that should it sneak into the playoffs can make a whole lot of noise with the greatest of all time between the pipes.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

On a different note, if you really want to get depressed, listen to the comments of Pegula and Wifey.  Just beyond clueless.  

Will be an interesting off-season.  Lots and lots of huge, important things need to change if we are going to be any better next season.  I'm not sure the Pegulas understand that.

I don't know how you got that from the Atlantic piece.  What makes you say they're clueless?  Because they haven't fired Housley on the spot?  They fired a coach midstream before, and that didn't work out.  They certainly left enough tibits to see that big changes will be coming in the offseason.  Their view, which contrasts with the fans, is that there's not much to gain by firing Housley now vs 1 month from now.

7 minutes ago, GG said:

I don't know how you got that from the Atlantic piece.  What makes you say they're clueless?  Because they haven't fired Housley on the spot?  They fired a coach midstream before, and that didn't work out.  They certainly left enough tibits to see that big changes will be coming in the offseason.  Their view, which contrasts with the fans, is that there's not much to gain by firing Housley now vs 1 month from now.

Pre tank, I guess they had Lindy and Rolston? Were they both under the Pegulas ownsership? Must be.

Having said that, they had the possibility of the playoffs in Bylsma's second year and this year with Phil...and neglected to make a change when a change was readily and desperately needed, and it was apparent to everyone.

In terms of Housley..I almost think it would be a mercy killing now. He looks and sounds defeated, put him out of  his misery. I feel awful for  the guy

2 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Lol...yeah that team only had the best goalie to ever play the game on it in the middle of the dead puck era..how ever did Lindy do it?

If you put Hasek on this team then they begin to resemble what the 99 team was...a bubble playoff team that should it sneak into the playoffs can make a whole lot of noise with the greatest of all time between the pipes.

This team doesn’t play hard and has no grit. Dom couldn’t carry these guys either, they quit on themselves. 

How did Vegas make to the finals with an expansion team. By what allstars that nobody wanted. Wtf is this dead puck crap

6 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

This team doesn’t play hard and has no grit. Dom couldn’t carry these guys either, they quit on themselves. 

How did Vegas make to the finals with an expansion team. By what allstars that nobody wanted. Wtf is this dead puck crap

The team this year is nowhere close to the team we had in 1999, even if it's true that team was largely carried by Dom to the Finals.

Not sure people understand how bad this team is.  They are tank level bad.

We are nothing close to a "bubble playoff" team this year.

1 hour ago, GG said:

I don’t think anyone is arguing there is anything to gain from firing Housley. It’s already another lost season, no rush in my opinion.

I think Terry comes off as clueless when he says things like:

”I communicate with Botts  regularly— daily— sometimes three times a day and he’s the only three-time Gold Medal, World Junior guy in the world. He’s a smart guy, and he does a good job.”

”He’s a young coach. He was a great player and I think he can grow as a coach.”

Just seems like he gets caught up on BS that doesn’t matter and it becomes an emotional hire.

I’d rather an analytical guy with no playing experience at the helm to be honest, but that’s a pipe dream with these owners at the moment.

Edited by Rockpile233

9 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

I’d rather an analytical guy with no playing experience at the helm to be honest, but that’s a pipe dream with these owners at the moment.

Does that guy currently exist in higher level hockey coaching world at this point?  I don't pay much attention to that side of the game, so I really have no idea who the big names are, whether it's coaches or front office guys.

7 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

I don’t think anyone is arguing there is anything to gain from firing Housley. It’s already another lost season, no rush in my opinion.

I think Terry comes off as clueless when he says things like:

”I communicate with Botts  regularly— daily— sometimes three times a day and he’s the only three-time Gold Medal, World Junior guy in the world. He’s a smart guy, and he does a good job.”

”He’s a young coach. He was a great player and I think he can grow as a coach.”

Just seems like he gets caught up on BS that doesn’t matter and it becomes an emotional hire.

Where in those quotes do you get a sense that he has full confidence that Housley can lead his team for the long term?  He's not going to publicly throw the coach that he hasn't fired yet under the bus.  Recall what he said about Rex in the weeks before he was fired, or that he had full confidence that Doug Whaley can lead the turnaround?

6 minutes ago, GG said:

Where in those quotes do you get a sense that he has full confidence that Housley can lead his team for the long term?  He's not going to publicly throw the coach that he hasn't fired yet under the bus.  Recall what he said about Rex in the weeks before he was fired, or that he had full confidence that Doug Whaley can lead the turnaround?

I don’t that’s not the point. I fully expect him to be let go.

My point is that Terry is always presenting qualifications that don’t necessarily matter. I don’t care about JB’s playing career, does he recognize value? I don’t care about Housley’s playing career, what are the results? I don’t care that McDermott wrestled, can he and Beane get results?

He just seems to hire for emotional reasons rooted in his being a fan. It’s my read of the situation, no more and you can disagree if you wish.

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

Does that guy currently exist in higher level hockey coaching world at this point?  I don't pay much attention to that side of the game, so I really have no idea who the big names are, whether it's coaches or front office guys.

I’m not going to pretend I am up on NHL front office candidates apart from what I read online or hear on the radio. Guys like Kyle Dubas in Toronto.

I’m more of a baseball fan and we’ve seen this trend in FO’s for years. I’m not saying it’s right, you still need to hit on a good candidate, but it’s at least different. That just doesn’t seem like their style. We never hear about candidates like that.