Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

37 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The team this year is nowhere close to the team we had in 1999, even if it's true that team was largely carried by Dom to the Finals.

Not sure people understand how bad this team is.  They are tank level bad.

We are nothing close to a "bubble playoff" team this year.

They've played tank level bad for the past 50 games yes, but this roster isnt even close to the tank years in terms of talent. Those tank teams were purposely constructed to lose.

In other words,  the two tank teams hit their ceilings in terms of the points they ended up with. The last two seasons are teams that should be approaching playoff bubble team status, yet are severely underperforming. 

5 hours ago, shrader said:

If we want to talk about the right player to wear the C, that's fine, but we really need to stop throwing the name of any of the kids out there.  It's a completely subjective cutoff, but at this point, if I'm handing that out to anyone, it needs to be someone over the age of 25.  There needs to be at least some wear on the tires.  I don't care how ready anyone may look, it's time to stop throwing these guys to the wolves.

Among the many things the Sabres need, they are desperate for some Real veteran leadership, not just washed up vets no longer able to perform on the ice (that no one is going to follow). 

We need a Chris Drury type that can come in and actually command the respect of the entire locker room, including Eichel. The problem is, a Drury type isn’t all that easy to find. 

Maybe instead they need a top tier veteran head coach that can come in and truly change the culture. Like a Babcock or a Trotz. But again, those guys aren’t that easy to find. And even if they find/hire one, they are still going to need leadership on the players end. 

We clearly don’t have the veteran leadership in place right now to keep these kids in check and call them out when they continually make the same mistakes or don’t work hard enough. The entire time Eichel has been a Sabre, there has never been a player that can put him in his place. He’s been given pretty much free run of the team since day 1, and he wasn’t/isn’t always the most consistently hard working player from shift to shift himself. 

IMO the Sabres tore it down too far, too fast. They didn’t leave any trace of veteran leadership in place for the rebuild. They completely destroyed any semblance of a winning culture that they ever had. 

Again IMO, If they were going to tear it down that far they should have at least left Lindy in place (and maybe someone like Pominville - a guy who was actually willing to stay through the rebuild). I think toward the end Lindy sometimes had the tendency to stifle the development of young players. But in a rebuild he would’ve had no choice but to embrace the youth, and at least he would have kept a culture of accountability in place... 

At least Darcy and Lindy had built a team culture where they were clearly in charge. Even a face of the franchise like Ryan Miller knew that he had to listen to Lindy or he wouldn’t be playing (and he said as much in interviews). 

We are at the point where you now hear other GMs around the league using buffalo as a cautionary tale as to why not to strip your team down too far. 

I am not really sure how you even dig out of this hole anymore. It’s not as easy to turn over a roster in the NHL as it is in the NFL. Unfortunately, I don’t see many quick fixes. It’s getting harder and harder to maintain hope. The Sabres just look lightyears behind all of the best NHL teams and I don’t see any way we catch up any time soon. But at this point I’ll at least take respectability. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am not really sure how you even dig out of this hole anymore. It’s not as easy to turn over a roster in the NHL as it is in the NFL. Unfortunately, I don’t see many quick fixes. It’s getting harder and harder to maintain hope. The Sabres just look lightyears behind all of the best NHL teams and I don’t see any way we catch up any time soon. But at this point I’ll at least take respectability. 

It's really a depressing scenario. Start of the season when they were hot, I was hopeful they had turned the corner. They are playing so poorly now. The bottom has fallen out and I don't see seasoning of young players sufficient answer to how miserable they look. At this point, I really hope Terry throws a boatload of money at Joel Quenneville, though I'm not sure even that would be enough to convince him to coach this team.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's really a depressing scenario. Start of the season when they were hot, I was hopeful they had turned the corner. They are playing so poorly now. The bottom has fallen out and I don't see seasoning of young players sufficient answer to how miserable they look. At this point, I really hope Terry throws a boatload of money at Joel Quenneville, though I'm not sure even that would be enough to convince him to coach this team.

Joel Quenneneville is not the answer for this team. He has openly acknowledged that he has little interest in coaching a rebuilding team. There are coaches that are more suitable to coach a young team and the challenges associated with that type of constructed team. And on the other side of the equation there are coaches more suitable to coach a team that is a more finished product. 

What is going to change the dynamic of this team is the combination of an infusion of talent and the internal development of its young players. We don't have a credible second line. Because of that players such as Mitts and Tage played in roles in which they were not prepared for.  That is not to say that they won't eventually become good players but it is obvious that they weren't ready to play their advanced roles. 

I'm not saying that Housely is the answer as the long-term coach. But what I have consistently maintained is that the core of the problem for this sagging team is a lack of talent. Too many third and fourth line players were playing on lines that their talent didn't match.  

I'm not as pessimistic as most are. The Sabres have the cap space to bring in some talent from the free agent market. And they have an extra first round pick which they should be able to parlay to bring in another talented player via a trade. In addition, I wouldn't be surprised to see a player such as Risto being traded for a player who can play on the second line. 

I don't believe that there is a quick fix. That's the reality that some people are reluctant to accept.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Joel Quenneneville is not the answer for this team. He has openly acknowledged that he has little interest in coaching a rebuilding team. There are coaches that are more suitable to coach a young team and the challenges associated with that type of constructed team. And on the other side of the equation there are coaches more suitable to coach a team that is a more finished product. 

What is going to change the dynamic of this team is the combination of an infusion of talent and the internal development of its young players. We don't have a credible second line. Because of that players such as Mitts and Tage played in roles in which they were not prepared for.  That is not to say that they won't eventually become good players but it is obvious that they weren't ready to play their advanced roles. 

I'm not saying that Housely is the answer as the long-term coach. But what I have consistently maintained is that the core of the problem for this sagging team is a lack of talent. Too many third and fourth line players were playing on lines that their talent didn't match.  

I'm not as pessimistic as most are. The Sabres have the cap space to bring in some talent from the free agent market. And they have an extra first round pick which they should be able to parlay to bring in another talented player via a trade. In addition, I wouldn't be surprised to see a player such as Risto being traded for a player who can play on the second line. 

I don't believe that there is a quick fix. That's the reality that some people are reluctant to accept.

I know your view, John. I am getting old. I don't have the patience I had when I figured I had forty or fifty years to see a Cup. Perhaps you're right and I hope for the best. What else can one do? Personally, I just don't have confidence in Housely, but I don't claim to be a hockey expert.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I know your view, John. I am getting old. I don't have the patience I had when I figured I had forty or fifty years to see a Cup. Perhaps you're right and I hope for the best. What else can one do? Personally, I just don't have confidence in Housely, but I don't claim to be a hockey expert.

Most of the players have gotten progressively worse over the course of the season.  That is not the typical mark of a good coach.

10 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't believe that Housley is going to be retained. (That's my opinion and prediction.)  This season spiraled out of control for too long with him at the helm. Whether he was mostly responsible or not doesn't mean that he isn't going to be held accountable. That's the way the sports world works. I have no problem with that. My point is no matter who is at the helm unless there is additional talent added to the roster the outcome will be predictable. 

I know he's not really a free agent, but if they really wanted to throw a boatload of money at someone for the president role, there's a guy by the name of Steve Yzerman who I would gladly give a couple islands in the Pacific.  It also would spare us from another divisional rival just starting their rebuilding process.

9 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Housley will suck that passion right out of him if given enough time.

Housley got off to a good start with that by pairing him with Scandella right away. 

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't believe that Housley is going to be retained. (That's my opinion and prediction.)  This season spiraled out of control for too long with him at the helm. Whether he was mostly responsible or not doesn't mean that he isn't going to be held accountable. That's the way the sports world works. I have no problem with that. My point is no matter who is at the helm unless there is additional talent added to the roster the outcome will be predictable. 

That’s a complete 180 from where you were a few weeks ago when you were telling us Housely detractors to just accept the fact he was returning especially after Botts gave him a ringing public endorsement (and I certainly did resign myself to that fact, btw). Why the change in your opinion? Has the team shown anything different in the last month to sway you that they hadn’t shown in the previous three months? Just curious if there was a final straw for you.

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s a complete 180 from where you were a few weeks ago when you were telling us Housely detractors to just accept the fact he was returning especially after Botts gave him a ringing public endorsement (and I certainly did resign myself to that fact, btw). Why the change in your opinion? Has the team shown anything different in the last month to sway you that they hadn’t shown in the previous three months? Just curious if there was a final straw for you.

You didn't accurately interpret what I wrote. I stated what I believed is going to happen. I didn't state that I advocated for it. There is no change in my position that the heart of the problem for the Sabres' struggles relates to its talent level. I'm resolute on that point. Whether Housley stays or goes isn't the critical issue that decides success or failure. Talent needs to be added to the mix for the dynamic of this flagging franchise to change.

What has become apparent to me is that the players have tuned out the coach this past month. There is no unity of play, especially on the defensive side of the game. When that happens, regardless of the sport, it's inevitable that there will be a coaching change. (That's my opinion on what is going to happen with Housley.) 

You give too much credence to what is said in public by the GM and owner. It means nothing! Do you think that the owner or GM would be stupid enough to publicly say that he is going to fire the coach? How do you think that this very often heartless team is going to respond on the ice if they knew in advance that the coach wasn't coming back next year?

I have said all along that there is no quick fix. Even when the Sabres play well against some of the elite teams it is still very evident in the disparity of talent. That's the issue that needs to be addressed; and that is the priority. The issue of Housley is a sideshow issue while the issue of the team's talent level is the main event. My position has not changed on that. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You didn't accurately interpret what I wrote. I stated what I believed is going to happen. I didn't state that I advocated for it. There is no change in my position that the heart of the problem for the Sabres' struggles relates to its talent level. I'm resolute on that point. Whether Housley stays or goes isn't the critical issue that decides success or failure. Talent needs to be added to the mix for the dynamic of this flagging franchise to change.

What has become apparent to me is that the players have tuned out the coach this past month. There is no unity of play, especially on the defensive side of the game. When that happens, regardless of the sport, it's inevitable that there will be a coaching change. (That's my opinion on what is going to happen with Housley.) 

You give too much credence to what is said in public by the GM and owner. It means nothing! Do you think that the owner or GM would be stupid enough to publicly say that he is going to fire the coach? How do you think that this very often heartless team is going to respond on the ice if they knew in advance that the coach wasn't coming back next year?

I have said all along that there is no quick fix. Even when the Sabres play well against some of the elite teams it is still very evident in the disparity of talent. That's the issue that needs to be addressed; and that is the priority. The issue of Housley is a sideshow issue while the issue of the team's talent level is the main event. My position has not changed on that. 

Sounds like the team seeming to quit on Housley down the stretch was the final straw for you. Understandable.

Much of the rest of your response strikes me as a bit equivocal, though. You’ve been a staunch defender of Housley all season. 

No matter. Water through the dam as they say. It’s gonna be years, YEARS,  before we assemble and assimilate the talent necessary to become contenders. 

Saw the lines from practice and it looks like Housely may have acquired a clue; Olofsson was paired with Eichel and Reinhart. Should have done the same with Nylander immediately, as well. 

I like the D pairing of Dahlin and Borgen, too. Didn’t take long for coach to see pairing him with Scandella was stupid. 

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I know he's not really a free agent, but if they really wanted to throw a boatload of money at someone for the president role, there's a guy by the name of Steve Yzerman who I would gladly give a couple islands in the Pacific.  It also would spare us from another divisional rival just starting their rebuilding process.

Why would he leave Tampa to come to Buffalo? He doesnt need a huge pay day, and it seems he wants to go back to Detroit or step away for a bit if he will fully leave Tampa.

about time! 

3 hours ago, shrader said:

That would be absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately, The ONLY place Yzerman is going is Detroit.

His family never moved to Tampa. They still lives in Detroit. He’s commuted between Detroit and Tampa all these years he’s worked for the Lightning. 

Plus, Detroit is where he spent most of his playing career, and it’d where he got his start in management. 

There is zero doubt in my mind that he is going home. 

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Why would he leave Tampa to come to Buffalo? He doesnt need a huge pay day, and it seems he wants to go back to Detroit or step away for a bit if he will fully leave Tampa.

He already left Tampa.  His "team advisor" role is just another way of saying "hey, I'm technically still under contract.  But yes, he's pretty clearly going back to Detroit.  I've said that from day 1.  That would be exactly what I was hinting at when I said it would spare us from another divisional rival starting their rebuild.