The NFL's Obesity Scourge

notwoz

3 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

again, beans, rice, corn, carrots, lentils, cabbage, potatoes, oats, barley, etc. are some of the cheapest and best foods. 

there is a better point you could make; there is a correlation between poverty and obesity in this country.....i.e our country is so awesome our poor people are fat :thumbsup:

Right.  I wasn't trying to say people are to poor to eat healthy.  More along the lines of people don't prioritize properly.

I hope the NFLPA makes resources available to these linemen to help them with their weight and health. The NFL Players are rare talents that have a lot of leverage with their employer. The union that represents them needs to look out for the health of retired players. To the fans you are a piece of meat and to the league you are a line item. Its up to the union to look out for retired players. 

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

you are stuck at 350 and your heart and organs don't have that much time left, as well your metabolism (should) slow down

your are fat and then one morning you become fat

i knew some who were naturally that massive and others who had to bulk up and use substances to gain and maintain the extra heft to keep playing

it's not healthy to pack on excess weight, it's kind of okay if you are physically active, but once you stop your window for reducing has to diminish quickly

carrying over 300 while in athletic shape with good knees at 25 is not the same as knees shot and out of shape and the same weight at 35

You know any Lineman

On 1/17/2019 at 7:22 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Underpaid??  They are getting paid a ton of money to play a game.  10% of american adults are morbidly obese---thats at lest 37 million people!  Do you know how many of them who have made a million or more in a year?  The answer is zero--none of them.

Morbid obesity is a very treatable disease, but as with any such disease, a patient has to seek treatment....and then always be compliant with treating a chronic disease such as this.

How many of them generate the revenue NFL players do? 

To be honest, I'm not sympathetic to most of the obese. They ride those dumb little carts at the grocery store, they get handicap stickers when they should actually be required to park at the furthest spots from the store.

Society enables them.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:06 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.."The Fridge" is a terribly sad story.....then you see other linemen who once retired, returned to a more normal weight....guess it is up to the individual......

True, but once you add those extra pounds, it gets so much harder to take them off. Not only that, but as my doctor says, "Taking the extra pounds off is the easy part. Keeping them off is a real challenge. Your body naturally seeks it's highest weight."

I should add that taking the extra pounds off isn't easy at all. I lost nearly 50 lbs within the last 2 years and put it all back on. I had to just stay hungry all the time to lose that weight. It was driving me crazy being so hungry all the time.

17 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Well of course that's what apple does. They don't have a monopoly on the labor demand for professional engineers.

But as far as sports teams go I'm simply saying NFL makes the most, yet players (collectively) get a smaller portions of the pie relative to other Leagues. Yet their jobs are much more dangerous than an an NBA player. That just sucks.

I know they have a fun job we would do for practically free and all but athletes are worth so damn much I'll stand on my soap box and say they should get a larger pie relative to owners. If this was cricket with no CTE, Obesity (although that's one of the sillier dangers), I wouldn't mind them getting less % of NFL revenue. But football players damn well deserve more than baseball or basketball based on their relative danger compared to other popular sports. 

I'd simply argue for a lucrative pension plan to cover future medical costs as they wrack up medical bills and inevitably mostly blow their money out of stupidity. Certainly a strong long term disability insurance plan really. Mostly a privatized insurance industry not given by employers but very applicable to NFL players above most all team sports.

The NFL doesn't have a monopoly on college athletes.

NFL teams pay more than 53 players at a time.  By your logic, each of them generates far less revenue per player than any NBA or MLB player

NFL players, like all employed people, are free to contribute to a retirement fund for themselves.

No company compensates former employees who squandered their earnings.

Cops, people in the armed services (as  examples of an endless list of actually underpaid employees) deserve more money than guys who live a celebrity lifestyle to play a game.

Everybody who chooses any job knows what the risks and benefits are--and they make their choice.  NFL players realize this is their best option (by far) and they know that very few of them will suffer a higher rate of neurological disease than the general public.  So that's really not something they (as opposed to other jobs that entail far greater risk) should be compensated for.

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

How many of them generate the revenue NFL players do? 

The NFL generates income. 

Edited by Mr. WEO

12 hours ago, billsintaiwan said:

Bill Burr rightly summed this up. It really is, almost all the time, a question of will. Nobody is being force fed.

A friend of mine has a fat kid, he can't figure it out. The kid doesn't buy his own food. Not a mystery.

You brought up Bill Burr but didn’t use his best line?

“Stick some ***** lettuce in there once in awhile” 

Edited by CommonCents
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

i agree in principle with what you're saying, but 2 points

• by "eating less" to lose weight a distinction should be drawn between calories and volume. the average person eats between 3-5 pounds of food daily, you can still eat that much food and reduce calories. the best way to do that is to up your vegetable intake. the importance of this distinction is because of the satiation created by stretch receptors in the stomach. in other words, your stomach needs volume to trigger a feeling of satisfaction in the brain. 
  • exercise isn't great for weight loss. it is healthy, but if your goal is to lose weight, diet is a better solution. the reason for this is that exercise burns your energy stores which triggers hunger. you will typically eat more calories than you burned. so, yes, burning calories creates a deficit  (which is good for losing weight) but you eat more because of the triggered hunger, net more calories. the human body is efficient when it comes to burning calories through movement. i think a 200 pound person burns one oreo cookies worth of energy going up 26 flights of stairs. 

Yeah, that's why I included "better" which can encompass a lot of things.  As for exercise, true and again it's a matter of controlling what you eat.

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

True, but once you add those extra pounds, it gets so much harder to take them off. Not only that, but as my doctor says, "Taking the extra pounds off is the easy part. Keeping them off is a real challenge. Your body naturally seeks it's highest weight."

I should add that taking the extra pounds off isn't easy at all. I lost nearly 50 lbs within the last 2 years and put it all back on. I had to just stay hungry all the time to lose that weight. It was driving me crazy being so hungry all the time.

...great point......put on an extra 50 caring for my late wife and putting myself aside....trying to get serious about losing it but it is going to be tough at age 65.....just bought a new Bowflex and exercise bike and need to get after it along with treadmill....can't wait any longer for my water to break....:thumbsup:

so much condescension here for some of the games best players. Calling a HOFer like Willie Roaf undisciplined is the height of arrogance. Maybe all you cat callers should upload pictures of your perfect physiques.

This sport takes prisoners and destroys peoples' bodies. It is doomed. Enjoy it while you can.

I"m finding that the hardest part about losing weight as I get older is the strain it's putting on my body. I haven't been able to go more than a few weeks before I develop some type of injury, usually foot/knee/shoulder related that prevents me from continuing to exercise. Then I take time to let it heal and lose motivation to continue.

49 minutes ago, stuvian said:

so much condescension here for some of the games best players. Calling a HOFer like Willie Roaf undisciplined is the height of arrogance. Maybe all you cat callers should upload pictures of your perfect physiques.

This sport takes prisoners and destroys peoples' bodies. It is doomed. Enjoy it while you can.

BArAFci.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, stuvian said:

If i had a Big Mac for every time someone predicted the end of the NFL, I would be Willie Roaf's size.

Meanwhile, guys like Jeff Saturday and Eric Wood are wasting away after the NFL.  Someone should feed them what these other guys are eating...

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

I"m finding that the hardest part about losing weight as I get older is the strain it's putting on my body. I haven't been able to go more than a few weeks before I develop some type of injury, usually foot/knee/shoulder related that prevents me from continuing to exercise. Then I take time to let it heal and lose motivation to continue.

Yup

never pay attention to the advice from people who are too young to have a clue about the realities of aging 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

If i had a Big Mac for every time someone predicted the end of the NFL, I would be Willie Roaf's size.

Meanwhile, guys like Jeff Saturday and Eric Wood are wasting away after the NFL.  Someone should feed them what these other guys are eating...

If you’re going to have that conversation you need to mention Joe Thomas. He looked great just a few months after hanging up the cleats. 

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

NFL teams pay more than 53 players at a time.  By your logic, each of them generates far less revenue per player than any NBA or MLB player

I've been careful to say the entire collective group of NFL athletes get paid less than NBA and MLB athletes as a percentage of revenue. It's really the only league I'd argue justifies getting paid more and having more guaranteed than the other major leagues due to health risks.

Taking into account how they compare with compensation to other leagues and the relative danger they play through, they just have a crappy union. I'm not going to keep going back to pretending professional athletes are in the same stratosphere to other professions. It's obviously a very different life style. Just comparing them with other professional team sports leagues.