Can't teach accuracy? Cam Newton interesting case study...

Big Turk

7 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

Cam Newton is also a cocky SOB who comfortably presented himself as Superman from the get-go.

Josh Allen is all about how he can work to get better.

No comparison on who is likely to improve more.

Cam threw for over 4000 yds and 21 TDs as a rookie so yeah I guess you could say he was so far ahead out of the gate that even for Josh to match that rookie season in his second or third he has far to go. 

When asked how he keeps turning out top QBs

in the NCAA, ‘quarterback whisperer’ Mike Leach replied that you start with someone who’s already accurate, and you can pretty much  teach them everything else.

Funny thing is, I didn’t find Josh to be all that innacurate this season - his receivers either didn’t come back to the ball to bail him out, or they just kept dropping passes that hit them right in the hands.  Or, in Benjamin’s case, they didn’t even try to catch the ball.

Plus, half the time, he was running for his life.

JMO

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know about 'depth of target". 

Newton was rocking 7.2 YPA this season, which is the highest he's had in the past four years.

7.2 YPA oughtta move the chains

PS threw more TD than he had for the last 3 years, too

I stand corrected I guess, but I do remember hearing that despite the better statistics the Carolina offense wasn't as effective as it was when Cam was throwing the ball deep

I’d you think Cam Newton is accurate, you have not watched any of their games. You’re just looking at stats... just like people that say Josh Allen is inaccurate because he has a low completion percentage, when if you actually watched him play, you’d know that’s not actually true.

Cam is WILDLY inaccurate. I live in charlotte so all we get are Panthers games on TV. I cant remember the last time I saw him hit someone between the numbers. The number of wide open guys he has and throws the ball either in the dirt or six feet over their head is astounding.

he is the epitome of an INaccurate passer.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Cam Newton has a career completion percentage of 59.7%...prior to this season he had 2 years with at or above a 60% completion percentage, with a high of 61.7% and the other exactly at 60%.  This year he well exceeded this at 67.9%.

So what is going on? Did he just learn how to be more accurate? Or was he just making easier throws to McCaffery more often leading to higher completion rates?

Great new for Allen, plus he is not a b!tch so he is already a step ahead.

fraidycam.0.gif

8 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

Cam Newton is also a cocky SOB who comfortably presented himself as Superman from the get-go.

So cocky SOBs, no matter how much one may dislike them, can't improve their performance?  If they learn something new or different works for them, they'll set it aside because they're cocky SOBs?  And increased experience is a non-factor for them?  Hmhh.

12 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

You know, this is a really great point and i like cam a lot. 

12 hours ago, Magox said:

Play design, similar to why Allen had a pretty high completion % vs the Dolphins.

Allen arguably had an average post injury throwing day, but they designed a bunch of high completion passes hence the higher %.

That's why this whole shallow NFL pundit and fan obsession of equating completion % to accuracy is misguided.

But also guys can improve.

People seem to expect improvement from college players and also from young players in the NFL, but for some reason they have this strange belief that QB accuracy, specifically, cannot change once they put on an NFL uniform.

They believe that virtually any other aspect can be improved upon as players except accuracy. I think that is very strange.

But I'd also submit that Josh Allen is not innaccurate. He is inconsistent with his mechanics and touch. When his mechanics are right he can zip passes into tight windows like the best of them. He can be very accurate. I think all of his weaknesses can be improved with practice, coaching, and experience.

• Like (+1) 1

Our beloved Jim Kelly only had 4 seasons out of 11 in total where he completed more than 60% of his passes. The other 7 his completion percentage was around 58-59%. That was with Thurman, Kenneth Davis, Reed, Lofton, Beebe, Metzelaars, McKeller, and that offense we had. 

26 minutes ago, H2o said:

Our beloved Jim Kelly only had 4 seasons out of 11 in total where he completed more than 60% of his passes. The other 7 his completion percentage was around 58-59%. That was with Thurman, Kenneth Davis, Reed, Lofton, Beebe, Metzelaars, McKeller, and that offense we had. 

That’s why stats without context are completely useless 

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Combine this with lower depth of target stats and this means his receivers picking up YAC was a big chunk of that rather than him throwing the ball downfield

Mccaffery, Moore and Samuels are all pretty dangerous with the ball in their hands.

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Combine this with lower depth of target stats and this means his receivers picking up YAC was a big chunk of that rather than him throwing the ball downfield

That's fine.  It moves the chains.

Again, I don't know where the "depth of target" stats come from, but NFL next gen stats now track completed air yards (CAY) and intended air yards (IAY).

Newton stands at 5.0 this season.  Last season Newton was 5.6.

Roethlisberger and Stafford, checkdown artists, are 4.7 and 4.8.  Brady is 5.6.  Brees is 5.9.  Luck and his demise are 6.1.

Intended air yards, Newton this season is right between Matthew Stafford and Drew Brees at 7.1. 

Put it together with YPA, and I guess it must mean Newton's WR are on average picking up 2 YAC. (7 YPA - 5 CAY)

I don't think Newton has exactly become "Checkdown Charlie", and if he's taking the short stuff the D gives him now instead of trying to launch downfield all the time, I think that shows improvement on his part.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's fine.  It moves the chains.

Again, I don't know where the "depth of target" stats come from, but NFL next gen stats now track completed air yards (CAY) and intended air yards (IAY).

Newton stands at 5.0 this season.  Last season Newton was 5.6.

Roethlisberger and Stafford, checkdown artists, are 4.7 and 4.8.  Brady is 5.6.  Brees is 5.9.  Luck and his demise are 6.1.

Intended air yards, Newton this season is right between Matthew Stafford and Drew Brees at 7.1. 

Put it together with YPA, and I guess it must mean Newton's WR are on average picking up 2 YAC. (7 YPA - 5 CAY)

I don't think Newton has exactly become "Checkdown Charlie", and if he's taking the short stuff the D gives him now instead of trying to launch downfield all the time, I think that shows improvement on his part.

Allen led all QBs in intended air yards at 11.0, which might help explain why his completion percentage was lower...that being said it doesn't explain it all as Jameis Winston was only 0.2 yards behind him at 10.8 and had a completion percentage 12% higher.

Edited by matter2003

20 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Cam Newton has a career completion percentage of 59.7%...prior to this season he had 2 years with at or above a 60% completion percentage, with a high of 61.7% and the other exactly at 60%.  This year he well exceeded this at 67.9%.

So what is going on? Did he just learn how to be more accurate? Or was he just making easier throws to McCaffery more often leading to higher completion rates?

It’s a prevailing myth, in the sense that it is a great falsehood, that accuracy from the pocket cannot be taught. It is absolutely a trainable psychomotor skill. Just do some research and you’ll see that this is the case. However, it is generally believe that passing accuracy on the run is more inherent. Josh can get way better with his accuracy from the pocket if he works on it which I am sure he will.