TNF Game Thread: Chargers (10-3) vs. Chiefs (11-2) at 8:20 PM ET on FOX, NFL Network, & Amazon Prime Video

26CornerBlitz

Who Wins Tonight?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins Tonight?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/14/2018 at 01:20 AM

I was never big on Phillip  - that changed though when I saw him play the Bills four years ago.  It was cold and very windy - to see him throw the ball around in the wind the way he did that day was something else.  There was one play we were sitting slightly behind him and to he launched a bomb in the wind and I was thinking OMG - what about the noodle arm?  He just came in and controlled the game with passes that cut through the wind and kicked butt.  It was so impressive.  I've thought very differently about both his arm and him since that day - he really won me over.

That being said - all I care about for the rest of the regular season is outcomes that put the Cheaters in the worst possible position.

Edited by stevewin

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Pettine was 10-22 and Schwartz was 29-51.  Albeit with the Browns and Lions.  Helps Lynn when you have an elite quarterback.

I know they weren't successful but we preaching continuity when we bring in random coaches and want to see them out. Is this not the clear alternative to promote from within if the HC is underperforming? 

I'll admit on the flip side we know more about these guys than other teams possibly do. We've just let a lot of future HCs go when we were trying to fill the exact same role. And yess Browns and Lions?? The teams Schwartz and Pettine left were much better than where they went or were IMO

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I know they weren't successful but we preaching continuity when we bring in random coaches and want to see them out. Is this not the clear alternative to promote from within if the HC is underperforming? 

I'll admit on the flip side we know more about these guys than other teams possibly do. We've just let a lot of future HCs go when we were trying to fill the exact same role. And yess Browns and Lions?? The teams Schwartz and Pettine left were much better IMO

Usually you dismiss almost the whole staff when you fire a head coach.  I'm having a hard time remembering any positional coach that was promoted to head coach who was successful after that head coach was fired.  We'll see what Jason Garrett can pull off this year.  My money is on a wild card home loss.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Usually you dismiss almost the whole staff when you fire a head coach.  I'm having a hard time remembering any positional coach that was promoted to head coach who was successful after that head coach was fired.  We'll see what Jason Garrett can pull off this year.  My money is on a wild card home loss.

Is that really the case? Seems odd to me. I wouldn't possibly know where it's happened before. But don't really understand the concept of pushing the hard reset button when you had a unit that worked well under a coordinator and likely had cache with the players eliminating the need to scrap everything and start all over again.

56 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Officials horrible at the end. Say whatever about the missed hit on Rivers but pushoff by Williams twice in end zone. Everything the NFL officials do sets up the Pats. Officials miss all kind of stuff but the ones they choose to throw show their intent.  KC will now lose at SEA and it will be yet another SB involving New England. So freaking sick of that team and would like to just watch the Super Bowl and not care who wins. 

The officiating was awful overall, but I felt like the Chargers got the short end of the stick all game. But bad all around. The NFL has to do something about it. I know that Goodell et al love them some 43-42 games, but it’s ugly to watch. Of course, I know what their rejoinder is: the ratings are up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

Chiefs are clearly the better team despite their shite defense.

I am pissed la went for 2 i wanted ot.

Pretty sure the refs were too. They seemed hellbent on paying a specific scoring spread and then another bet on taking to overtime for the network and gamblers alike.

And Lynn defecated in their faces..

25 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Both teams have hall of fame Quarterbacks and we are starting over from scratch.  As it is the rebuilding would have taken just as long.  

Chargers were losing with the HOF QB for years before Lynn

• Like (+1) 3

All the complaining about the officiating aside. The Chargers seemed extra aggressive to push the boundaries in what ultimately lead to a flagfest where most missed calls would go to their advantage.

Referees caught that. But regardless when the flagfest started with tacky calls and makeup calls abound on national television the Chargers seemed like they got what they wanted as a lesser team forcing the refs to take over the game and mitigate talent on both sides of the ball.

Not that the refs favored the Chargers one bit.. but the Chargers made the game more of a toss up to make things more even with the Chiefs by helping spark a flagfest

39 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Haha watch out. I'll admit I don't understand why we refuse to promote our coordinators that move on to HC jobs.. from Schwartz to Lynn to Pettine. We've had great coordinators teams covet for HC when we're looking for HCs. It's weird.

I think the Lynn situation required a total blow up and culture change. I think he's a good coach, but we needed a change. Continuity would not have been a good thing after Rex.  With Schwartz, the stink of the 0-16 season in Detroit had not worn off at that point in time. Pettine was never considered as HC here as he flamed out in Cleveland before our job was up for grabs again. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yeah, the Dolphins thing is really strange as the Phins have been mostly mediocre throughout that stretch. Hard to explain. The Bills are mentally shook by the Pats if Brady plays, and wilt under the pressure. They will not win another game vs NE until Brady is gone. 

In the history of North American professional sports, no franchise has ever been owned by another franchise the way the Bills have been owned by the NE Patriots for the last 18 years.  Never.  It’s absolutely unprecedented.

Edited by mannc

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think the Lynn situation required a total blow up and culture change. I think he's a good coach, but we needed a change. Continuity would not have been a good thing after Rex.  With Schwartz, the stink of the 0-16 season in Detroit had not worn off at that point in time. Pettine was never considered as HC here as he flamed out in Cleveland before our job was up for grabs again. 

Schwartz was hired in Detroit after the 2008 0-16 season. In 2011 his third year as head coach, the Lions made it to the playoffs for the first time since 1999. The Lions went 4-12 and 7-9 the next two seasons and he was fired.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Schwartz wasn't the Head Coach of the 0-16 Lions. He took over following the 0-16 season with no talent on the roster and by year 3 they were 10-6 and a playoff team. The two years after that he lost control a little bit.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

In the history of North American professional sports, no franchise has ever been owned by another franchise the way the Bills have been owned by the NE Patriots for the last 18 years.  Never.  It’s absolutely unprecedented.

It was far worse with the Fish winning 20 in a row on the Bills.

at least I can understand Brady and Belichick dominating. The Fish were nothing special for the last handful of years of owning the Bills. Griese wasn’t a great QB.

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

at least I can understand Brady and Belichick dominating. The Fish were nothing special for the last handful of years of owning the Bills. Griese wasn’t a great QB.

Correct.

57 minutes ago, row_33 said:

That was 10 years; the Brady/Belichick ownership of the Bills is 18 years, and still going strong.  And most of the losses—both home and away—have been blowouts.  They have literally beaten Brady only twice during that time.  (Not counting the Jacoby Brissett game or the game where Brady was pulled at halftime.)

I’m watching the last 8 minutes right now. What a horrible job by the chiefs offense not being able to get a 1st down on their last drive to close out the game and not calling a TO.

andy Reid starting his playoff swoon early this year 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m watching the last 8 minutes right now. What a horrible job by the chiefs offense not being able to get a 1st down on their last drive to close out the game and not calling a TO.

andy Reid starting his playoff swoon early this year 

Horrible job by chefs defense as well.  Williams had quite a night.  Guy has height and hands.  Serious coverage breakdown as he was all alone for 2 point conversion with 4 seconds left.  Nice win for the bolts.

Edited by Flutie Flakes

4 minutes ago, Flutie Flakes said:

Horrible job by chefs defense as well.  Williams had quite a night.  Guy has height and hands.  Serious coverage breakdown as he was all alone for 2 point conversion with 4 seconds left.  Nice win for the bolts.

Yes their defense (especially the secondary) is trash and has been all year. Have to find a way to make sure they don’t give LA the ball back knowing they can’t stop them 

4 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Schwartz was hired in Detroit after the 2008 0-16 season. In 2011 his third year as head coach, the Lions made it to the playoffs for the first time since 1999. The Lions went 4-12 and 7-9 the next two seasons and he was fired.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Schwartz wasn't the Head Coach of the 0-16 Lions. He took over following the 0-16 season with no talent on the roster and by year 3 they were 10-6 and a playoff team. The two years after that he lost control a little bit.

Thanks guys my bad. Was 0-16 Linehan? Why did Schwartz get pushed out? Suh acting like a maniac and such? I remember him throwing a challenge flag or something. I know he had a very negative reputation at that point in time. 

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Thanks guys my bad. Was 0-16 Linehan? Why did Schwartz get pushed out? Suh acting like a maniac and such? I remember him throwing a challenge flag or something. I know he had a very negative reputation at that point in time. 

Yes he was deemed to have "lost control" of the locker room in his final season. The team was horribly undisciplined, Suh in particular (and the offensive tackle they had back then - name escapes me) and ultimately the buck stops with the HC. His own lack of discipline was held up in evidence, which included, as you rightly remember him throwing a challenge flag on an automatically reviewable play (a touchdown where the opponent had clearly stepped out of bounds) which for reasons related to the vagaries of the NFL rule book at the time meant that the play was no longer automatically reviewable and the touchdown stood. The NFL has since revoked that stupid rule. Now the only penalty for wrongly throwing a challenge flag on a non-reviewable play is being told to pick it up again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes he was deemed to have "lost control" of the locker room in his final season. The team was horribly undisciplined, Suh in particular (and the offensive tackle they had back then - name escapes me) and ultimately the buck stops with the HC. His own lack of discipline was held up in evidence, which included, as you rightly remember him throwing a challenge flag on an automatically reviewable play (a touchdown where the opponent had clearly stepped out of bounds) which for reasons related to the vagaries of the NFL rule book at the time meant that the play was no longer automatically reviewable and the touchdown stood. The NFL has since revoked that stupid rule. Now the only penalty for wrongly throwing a challenge flag on a non-reviewable play is being told to pick it up again.

Actually, it wasn't an out of bounds play; the runner was down by tackle, but the refs didn't blow the whistle and he got back up and ran 60 or so yards for a td. Given that he was clearly tackled, schwartz immediately threw a challenge but was penalized because all scoring plays are reviewed by the league and can't be challenged. Bizarrely, because of that it was no longer reviewable by anyone, and the td stood even though the runner has clearly been down by contact and detroit was penalized on the kickoff. It was a thanksgiving game. Detroit lost by one score, as i recall.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Actually, it wasn't an out of bounds play; the runner was down by tackle, but the refs didn't blow the whistle and he got back up and ran 60 or so yards for a td. Given that he was clearly tackled, schwartz immediately threw a challenge but was penalized because all scoring plays are reviewed by the league and can't be challenged. Bizarrely, because of that it was no longer reviewable by anyone, and the td stood even though the runner has clearly been down by contact and detroit was penalized on the kickoff. It was a thanksgiving game. Detroit lost by one score, as i recall.

I don’t even remember that but what a terrible rule!

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, dave mcbride said:

That's right Dave. Runner down not out of bounds. I remembered it was a Thanksgiving game. Stupid rule.

So KB?

Caught 1 of 2 targets for 17 yds. with Mahomes at QB position - sounds like fairly consistent stats for him. I don't blame KC for kicking the tires on a one-year deal to see if there was a player somewhere in KB that was salvageable. If clearing waivers without an offer did not turn on the lights for him and buy him a clue nothing will. I saw the replay of the catch he did make - slow, no separation, just used his bigger frame to push off and turn and catch the ball.

I try not to wish anyone ill fortune in their careers, but I wont miss his complaints about QBs needing to be more accurate rather than taking ownership of his own drops (some in the end zone) and lazy route running. 

I was curious so I followed him this one game - not planning on trolling him forever, but it will be interesting to see if KC extends past the one year deal.