Bills have released Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

But...why now?  I mean, why even bother?  It's not like they need the roster spots.  

To look at other players in an expanded role. He’s no longer taking up valuable practice reps.

26 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

Benjamin, a first-round pick of the Panthers in 2014, was in the final season of his rookie contract and was scheduled for unrestricted free agency in March. Any team claiming Benjamin off waivers would owe him the remaining portion of his $8.5 million base salary this season. If he is not claimed off waivers, the Bills would owe Benjamin the remainder of his fully guaranteed salary.- Per ESPN

Don’t give McBeane to much credit; as we could have benched him and let him go as an unrestricted free agent.  

Ummm...so we could have kept his useless behind on the roster taking up space and paying him to do so, or we could cut bait like we did, free up the roster spot/reps to a more deserving talent, and possibly still have to pay balance of this K for this season IF no one else takes a flyer on him in the meantime. Where are we not supposed to give credit for cleaning up this flotsam again?

21 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

That don't catch....

or block, or run hard.

Or anything really

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

To look at other players in an expanded role. He’s no longer taking up valuable practice reps.

deep fried Snacks from the cafeteria

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

And to add to that CB and DL would have been two positions looked at in the draft next year.  If these guys look like they were worth hanging on to even in developmental roles this would allow the Bills to look at other positions presumably in rounds 4-7 next year.  If these guys project to be starters or key reserves in the second half of next season then that may even affect plans with our 2019 3rd round pick.

Edited by RochesterRob

1 minute ago, Joeziehmer said:

We just ate his contract in a tight cap year.  

We were eating his contract either way.  It's irrelevant - it was the last year of his contract.  Best case is someone grabs him off waivers - no idea who, no one needs a lukewarm body at WR that badly - and the Bills are off the hook for about $2M this year, when it doesn't make any difference.  

11 minutes ago, Dante said:

Maybe seeing what they have in house is better than having a crappy attitude on the team. Even if those in house guys are from the practice squad.

Which players in-house?  They could just inactivate KB and Holmes and get the same effect if they wanted to look at players on the roster.  And on the practice squad...they only have one WR, and they already had an open roster spot with Bodine going on IR.

Plenty of positives to take away from this move .

But some prefer to see the negatives , which were also true

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

We were eating his contract either way.  It's irrelevant - it was the last year of his contract.  Best case is someone grabs him off waivers - no idea who, no one needs a lukewarm body at WR that badly - and the Bills are off the hook for about $2M this year, when it doesn't make any difference.  

Which players in-house?  They could just inactivate KB and Holmes and get the same effect if they wanted to look at players on the roster.  And on the practice squad...they only have one WR, and they already had an open roster spot with Bodine going on IR.

Cam Phillips for one : )

42 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Are we gonna hash this again?

Apparently so

here we go: watkins was injured and a prima donna admitted by himself two years in a row

Fine, so trade him in the off-season or at the start of training camp AND bring in a suitable replacement.  Don't wait until just before the season and "replace" him with a JAG

Or maybe, I don't know, have coaches who could learn to work with and be an inspirational leader to NFL-level talent who aren't buying in?

Glass Goodwin was injured with slightest contact,

Goodwin's 2016 game logs with the Bills:

image.thumb.png.1005de2ef21f66cd3fd5452df1521077.png

Now I'll admit, he doesn't look stellar as a WR, but he wasn't breaking with the slightest contact either, once he abandoned the need to exit the season in top shape for his hoped-for Olympic career.

Hogan is Just another Jag, and finally, Woods, I must admit I was wrong.

Hogan was allowed to leave prior to 2016 season.  JAG or not, Beane and McDermott have no responsibility for him leaving or staying.

If you put the "I was wrong" a couple guys earlier, that'd work OK

Whether or not McBeane wanted to put on a push to keep these guys, it has to be acknowledged that letting them walk/trading Watkins and trying to replace them with Jordan Matthews, Andre' Holmes, Deonte' Thompson, Anquan Boldin, and Kelvin Benjamin was not exactly inspired NFL roster management at the position.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whether or not McBeane wanted to put on a push to keep these guys, it has to be acknowledged that letting them walk/trading Watkins and trying to replace them with Jordan Matthews, Andre' Holmes, Deonte' Thompson, Anquan Boldin, and Kelvin Benjamin was not exactly inspired NFL roster management at the position.

Nothing against you or your post personally, but I’ve never liked the term “letting them walk” when it comes to UFAs. Once they played out their contracts, the players were in total control of their futures. We simply weren’t in a position to “let” them do anything. Or not.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Apparently so

Fine, so trade him in the off-season or at the start of training camp AND bring in a suitable replacement.  Don't wait until just before the season and "replace" him with a JAG

Or maybe, I don't know, have coaches who could learn to work with and be an inspirational leader to NFL-level talent who aren't buying in?

Goodwin's 2016 game logs with the Bills:

image.thumb.png.1005de2ef21f66cd3fd5452df1521077.png

Now I'll admit, he doesn't look stellar as a WR, but he wasn't breaking with the slightest contact either, once he abandoned the need to exit the season in top shape for his hoped-for Olympic career.

Hogan was allowed to leave prior to 2016 season.  JAG or not, Beane and McDermott have no responsibility for him leaving or staying.

If you put the "I was wrong" a couple guys earlier, that'd work OK

I agree that letting woods walk was problematic. I also think Goodwin was underutilized and would have been nice to keep. 

Can't say I am with you on Watkins though. He really hasn't done anything to prove himself more than a highly paid, highly talented JAG.