Christmas Movie All-Time Recommendations

NoHuddleKelly12

On 12/11/2018 at 12:52 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Question. Movies like Elf, The Santa Clause, Miracle on 34th Street. Plenty more I can't think of. Where within the realm of the story, the adults, and sometimes kids, don't believe in Santa Claus, but by the end, discover the truth that Santa does exist, they just didn't have Christmas spirit or whatever.

Up until that point, did Santa just skip that kid because his parents didn't believe so bought him stuff anyway? How did that work?

I believe the old lore refers to it as the "Naughty List."

56 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

As a fellow Home Alone fan, seeing Macaulay do this spot for a commercial was actually pretty funny/kinda cool I thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKYABI-dGEA

Yeah, I posted that in the PPP Google thread yesterday... to me, that was a fantastic ad, and I am not a google fan.

• Like (+1) 1

Technically not a Christmas movie, but the Three Stooges’ ‘Malice in the Palace’ does have Moe, Larry, and Shemp dressed as Santa Claus to sneak into the Emir of Shmow’s palace.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Shmow, not Shmoo. Had to rewatch to verify. ?
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Technically not a Christmas movie, but the Three Stooges’ ‘Malice in the Palace’ does have Moe, Larry, and Shemp dressed as Santa Claus to sneak into the Emir of Shmoo’s palace.

If I recall, that specific scene was actually recycled footage from a Curly episode.

On 12/20/2018 at 4:35 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Technically not a Christmas movie, but the Three Stooges’ ‘Malice in the Palace’ does have Moe, Larry, and Shemp dressed as Santa Claus to sneak into the Emir of Shmoo’s palace.

I never knew that eggs could be used so effectively in self-defense!

Those guys were like the Houdini of physical comedy gold. 

Just now, Augie said:

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is on right now. You can do better. MUCH better. 

Overall i think it’s funny but a lot of these Christmas movies/shows kind of lose its touch with me after so many repeated viewings.  This movie being one of them 

On 12/8/2018 at 1:41 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

@Uncle Joe, you’re right, great WWII story for Christmas, but the name of the movie is “A Midnight Clear.” Highly recommend for any history buffs or anyone interested in the human side of the war!

man, i would like to see this but it does not appear to available online anywhere. Yall know where I might be able to watch?

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

man, i would like to see this but it does not appear to available online anywhere. Yall know where I might be able to watch?

@Uncle Joeand @plenzmd1, I have to apologize for the inaccuracy of my earlier post about the movie title. Uncle Joe was right, the movie featuring the story line  about the German mother and children who share a Christmas meal with soldiers from both sides in the winter of '44 is correctly titled "Silent Night." I got it confused with "A Midnight Clear," which also features a "truce" story line between GI's and some German soldiers, but in a different setting that did not involve civilians in the story. My bad! 

To the question about where to find either of them, I have not been able to locate a reputable stream for either available right now (some sketchy overseas ones claim to have both for free), so might have to be a DVD/Blu-ray order? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

One that rarely gets mentioned, one of my top 10 movies of all time, Christmas or otherwise:  "Diner"

It stars Micky Rourke (pre-freak era), Steve Gutenburg (pre-obnoxious era), Daniel Stern, Tim Daily,  Paule Rieser, Ellen Barkin and (yes) Kevin Bacon.   Excellent film any time of the year, but it takes place in Baltimore, 1059, Christmas time.  Directed by the great Barry Levinson. It came out in 1983, kind of a pre-curser to Seinfeld, in my opinion.  Very dialouge driven....really funny, and poingnent.  And, it even has an NFL football angle...

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

@Uncle Joeand @plenzmd1, I have to apologize for the inaccuracy of my earlier post about the movie title. Uncle Joe was right, the movie featuring the story line  about the German mother and children who share a Christmas meal with soldiers from both sides in the winter of '44 is correctly titled "Silent Night." I got it confused with "A Midnight Clear," which also features a "truce" story line between GI's and some German soldiers, but in a different setting that did not involve civilians in the story. My bad! 

To the question about where to find either of them, I have not been able to locate a reputable stream for either available right now (some sketchy overseas ones claim to have both for free), so might have to be a DVD/Blu-ray order? 

Such an underrated film.  Kind of fell through the cracks with all the great WW2 films of that decade.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/22/2018 at 7:22 PM, Another Fan said:

Overall i think it’s funny but a lot of these Christmas movies/shows kind of lose its touch with me after so many repeated viewings.  This movie being one of them 

Comedy in general is like this. Comedy is some that relies on the absurd and unexpected. So when you've seen it multiple times, it isn't that funny. 

• Like (+1) 1

So before this thread goes bye bye until next year @ Christmas perhaps--wanted to leave you all with one other one that I just saw for the first time this week although it's been out since 2004--"Christmas With The Kranks" starring Tim Allen and Dan Akyroyd; a definite crowd pleaser. Conversely, Merry Friggin' Christmas was very very meh. Also, per the recommendation of @CommonCents, The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix was surprisingly good! I didn't expect Kurt Russell to be as good as he was as Santa, and the dialogue for him was quite clever/funny I thought. Anyway, thanks to all who posted their favs. Happy New Year!   

On 12/26/2018 at 9:26 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

Many good ones mentioned. One missed:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. 

No it wasn't. 

On 12/7/2018 at 11:53 AM, The Jokeman said:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer is pretty good if like witty comments and good noir murder mystery.  Oh yeah and there's also Michelle Monaghan who was quite easy on the eyes. 

• Like (+1) 1