The Alliance of American Football Quarterback Draft Was Conducted on 11/27

26CornerBlitz

LIVE: The Alliance of American Football Quarterback Draft - Alliance of American Football

DK3A8049ed-1-e1543338045556.jpg

By Kareem Yasin and Dinn Mann

It’s the kind of occasion that simulates a quarterback’s adrenaline rush during a game-winning drive.

The Alliance of American Football is conducting its inaugural “Protect or Pick” QB Draft at 8ET/5PT tonight on CBS Sports Network, live from Las Vegas.

More than 50 aspiring pro quarterbacks progressed through the scouting process after tryouts, combines and an elite camp to reach this point. A couple handfuls of those players are attending the draft, each hoping to become faces of franchises when the spring league’s historic first season begins the weekend after the upcoming Super Bowl.

The site of the QB Draft is Las Vegas’ HyperX Esports Arena, where attendees will wait for their chance to join host Hines Ward, head of player relations for The Alliance, on stage as the unique process unfolds.

“The quarterback position is critical to a team’s success, so we knew the importance of making sure each Alliance team had a top-tier quarterback at the helm,” said Alliance co-founder Bill Polian, explaining how league coaches, front office executives and CEO/co-founder Charlie Ebersol collectively agreed on the format.

ROUND 1: Protect or Pick
San Diego Fleet, Atlanta Legends, Memphis Express, and San Antonio Commanders elected to protect.

Protect:
  1. San Diego Fleet protects: Josh Johnson
  2. Atlanta Legends protects: Aaron Murray
  3. Memphis Express protects: Troy Cook
  4. San Antonio Commanders protects: Dustin Vaughan

Birmingham Iron, Arizona Hotshots, Orlando Apollos, and Salt Lake Stallions elected to pick.

Pick:
  1. Birmingham Iron picks: Luis Perez
  2. Arizona Hotshots picks: Trevor Knight
  3. Orlando Apollos picks: Garrett Gilbert
  4. Salt Lake Stallions picks: Josh Woodrum

If this league ends up being even a little bit of a young feeder league to the NFL, it will be 100% fine. Not every person is ready to play in the NFL at age 22. Some really may be at age 25 if they have the chance to continue to play. As it stands now, there are so many guys that are out of the league that you never know if they would have continued to develop and just needed more marinating. 

7 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

I would love to see them succeed and the NFL go completely out of business.  The whole kneeling thing as well as all of the rule changes make the NFL virtually unwatchable in most cases.  

Says a guy spending his time on an NFL team's message board.  Good take.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I watched a lot of it. The only shot one of these league has is to try and be a minor league for the nfl and get nfl teams involved. They seem to sort of understand that. Peterman and EJ should have been trying to get in. The league itself should have moved mountains to get Kap and Tebow.

...despite MLB, NHL and even NBA having substantial minor league networks, the NFL just can't afford it (COUGH).....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’ve always wondered why the NFL doesn’t pursue a farm team...

My best guess is that from a player side, it’s hard to justify the extra investment and punishment that they will take for a potential to break out. 

From a business side, I wonder if Owners are worried that it would take away from the football market and the hard work that has been done to make high level football distinct and rare in America. It isn’t like baseball, where you can have a team in each city because fans just love the experience and the sport- there needs to be investment in teams and players. 

Have all these guys agreed to play in the league or is it just a wish list?  If it's just a wish list it looks pretty bad for EJ & Nate not even being selected.  

Just now, whatdrought said:

My best guess is that from a player side, it’s hard to justify the extra investment and punishment that they will take for a potential to break out. 

From a business side, I wonder if Owners are worried that it would take away from the football market and the hard work that has been done to make high level football distinct and rare in America. It isn’t like baseball, where you can have a team in each city because fans just love the experience and the sport- there needs to be investment in teams and players. 

There was NFL Europe/WLAF which produced several guys including HOFer Kurt Warner and future HOFer Adam Vinatieri.

1 hour ago, xsoldier54 said:

I would love to see them succeed and the NFL go completely out of business.  The whole kneeling thing as well as all of the rule changes make the NFL virtually unwatchable in most cases.  

the kneeling (that almost doesn't happen anymore) before the games, most of which you never see on TV, makes the NFL virtually unwatchable? okay, got it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Plus they already have a free farm system:   college football

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Have all these guys agreed to play in the league or is it just a wish list?  If it's just a wish list it looks pretty bad for EJ & Nate not even being selected.  

There was NFL Europe/WLAF which produced several guys including HOFer Kurt Warner and future HOFer Adam Vinatieri.

I think the Bills Fred Jackson played in NFL Europe also.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

...now it's worth watching..............

Free agent QB Christian Hackenberg was selected by the Memphis Express in the second round of the AAF Draft on Tuesday.

Hackenberg, of course, was an NFL second-round pick just 2.5 years ago by the Jets, a glaring mistake by GM Mike Maccagnan. The Alliance of American Football (AAF) is a startup football league filled with ex-NFL practice-squad and fringe players who never made it in the league. Hackenberg was taken with the seventh pick in the second round, 15th overall. The Express' head coach is Mike Singletary. The league kicks off on February 9. Nov 27 - 10:29 PM
  • Like (+1) 1