Fumble into endzone rule needs to change

If a team fumbles through the endzone it SHOULD NOT go to the other team.

They did nothing to get the ball they don't deserve the ball. It should stay with the team that had possession, just like it does when goes out bounds on the sidelines. That rule is really one of the worst in the league.

This has happened many times and did again today in Pittsburgh, and needs to stop.

• Like (+1) 8

I think all endzone rules are kind of strange.  A player dives head first untouched (no one touched him) into the end zone and as he hits the ground loses the ball, it's still a TD where as if that happened on the 20, it's a fumble. Or extends the ball over the goal line then it gets knocked out of his hand still a TD.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

They did nothing to get the ball they don't deserve the ball. It should stay with the team that had possession, just like it does when goes out bounds on the sidelines. That rule is really one of the worst in the league.

This has happened many times and did again today in Pittsburgh, and needs to stop.

I disagree, the Defense forced a fumble that close to the goal line. 

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think all endzone rules are kind of strange.  A player dives head first untouched (no one touched him) into the end zone and as he hits the ground loses the ball, it's still a TD where as if that happened on the 20, it's a fumble. Or extends the ball over the goal line then it gets knocked out of his hand still a TD.

The instant the ball crosses the goal line, it's a TD and the play is over. Anything that follows is irrelevant.

I agree with the OP - the fumble out of the end zone rule has always irked me.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Where would you have the ball placed in your scenario?

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I'd be fine if they gave the D the ball at the point of the fumble or the 1 instead of the 20

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’d disagree that they did NOTHING to get the ball.

honestly, the rule is quirky but I don’t mind it 

It really doesn’t make sense though.

If you fumble out on the half yard line, you get to keep the ball and have a fantastic chance to score a TD again.

But if you fumble into the end zone, the other team gets possession and they get to start at the 20.

How does that make sense lol

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

It really doesn’t make sense though.

If you fumble out on the half yard line, you get to keep the ball and have a fantastic chance to score a TD again.

But if you fumble into the end zone, the other team gets possession and they get to start at the 20.

How does that make sense lol

Unless you change the rule to generally not allowing an offense to advance fumbles and they get the ball at the spot of the fumble anywhere on the field there’s going to be an inconsistency compared to what happens with a fumble at the 1. As is, “the ball goes out of the end zone is treated like a touchback” isn’t insane levels of strange 

Agreed.  It’s always irked me.

How can the defense get the ball if they never ever had possession.  It just doesn’t make sense.  I’d give it to the offense at the 1 or even the 5.  They don’t deserve to lose the ball unless the defense recovers it imo.

if the defense has to get the ball, I’d put them at the 1 or 5 as well

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Unless you change the rule to generally not allowing an offense to advance fumbles and they get the ball at the spot of the fumble anywhere on the field there’s going to be an inconsistency compared to what happens with a fumble at the 1. As is, “the ball goes out of the end zone is treated like a touchback” isn’t insane levels of strange 

Or you could just add a simple rule to it as well.

If it goes out of bounds in the end zone, the offence keeps the ball and it should result in a loss of down and the ball gets moved back to the 5 or 10 yard line.

Either way, the rule they have now is just dumb and they need to change it in someway.

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 2