Is this a playoff team with Tyrod?

Mikie2times

Would we be a playoff team with Tyrod? Probably. 

The 2nd wildcard in the AFC is going to be a pretty bad team (just like last year). With how great our defense is playing I think TT could get this team to 9-7. 

For those pointing out that TT flamed out in Cleveland, let's take a look at the games he played. 

Week 1 vs Steelers 21-21 tie. Tuhrod goes 15/40 for 197 yds 1 TD 1 INT. Adds in 8 carries for 77 yds and a TD. Pretty awful completion percentage in a torrential downpour (Big Ben threw 3 ints that game). Browns had a 43 yd FG blocked in OT that would've won the game.

Week 2 vs Saints 21-18 loss. Tyrod goes 22/30 for 246 yds 1 TD 1 INT. Adds in 4 carries for 26 yards. Pretty mediocre stats that you can't really complain about. Browns missed 2 FG's and 2 PAT's this game.

Week 3 vs Jets. Tyrod goes 4/19 for 19 yards in the first half before being concussed and replaced by Baker Mayfield (who led the Browns to a win). Can't really defend this one, those are pretty brutal stats. 

Those games are pretty much vintage Tyrod. Pretty meh against Steelers and Saints, did enough to put his team in a position to win, and would've won both games with a competent kicker. Awful against the Jets. 

I think Tuhrod being benched is more about how successful Baker was once he took over, as opposed to TT being bad. 

On 11/15/2018 at 9:05 PM, KzooMike said:

We have almost a carbon copy of last years team in an even weaker playoff battle. With Tyrod I think it would have been back to back playoff years. Give him two turnovers in a game and he wins more often than not. No, I don't think he's good. But what he does do is protect the ball, enhance the running game, and to some extent mask poor offensive line play. Whats even more silly about the whole thing is he gets traded to the exact same situation he would have faced here. Perhaps he would have had the same fate in Buffalo he has in Cleveland if he was retained. I know Taylor has been talked to nauseous levels. I just find the thought process on this interesting and I'm curious what others think. Is this a playoff team with Taylor?   

If a playoff team with Brady 

It was barely one with TT last year, arguably a more playoff caliber roster’s worth of talent, at least offensively. This year’s squad was never going to be one, basically as a victim of rebuilding circumstance by design. Would we have had better QB play in JA’s injury absence? No question, but still not enough to really matter, IMHO

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Doubt it. Fact is Taylor this season completed a lower % of passes (sub 50%) than Allen, averaged less YPA than Allen, and threw for fewer yards per game than Allen. 

Comparing TT's small sample set this year vs. Allen's small sample set this year is pointless. TT has a history, we all know what it is, not great. TT sucked early this year but it 's reasonable to assume he would have risen to his normal level of mediocrity given the chance.

Unless you're with the crew that believes Allen's career was doomed before it began, comparing his accomplishments to date against anyone besides Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen or Jackson is premature.

31 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Comparing TT's small sample set this year vs. Allen's small sample set this year is pointless. TT has a history, we all know what it is, not great. TT sucked early this year but it 's reasonable to assume he would have risen to his normal level of mediocrity given the chance.

Unless you're with the crew that believes Allen's career was doomed before it began, comparing his accomplishments to date against anyone besides Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen or Jackson is premature.

Isn’t the point of this thread comparing what would have happened if Taylor were still our starting QB? How then is it pointless comparing his stats to our actual starting QB’s stats?

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Isn’t the point of this thread comparing what would have happened if Taylor were still our starting QB? How then is it pointless comparing his stats to our actual starting QB’s stats?

15 pages in the point of any thread often gets obscured. My bad if I came in late and took your post out of context.

I thought you're post was suggesting that TT's horrendous start this year was indicative of how he would play over the course of a full season. If so, I disagree.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:04 PM, hondo in seattle said:

Show us that quote because I don't recall it.

McD has talked about the importance of culture.  And he's right, it's important.  

Bill Walsh valued culture, too.  Walsh - who went 2-14 in his first year with the 49ers - wrote that "Culture precedes positive results."  

"We're trying to develop a culture here. Culture, to me, trumps strategy. That's what I believe in wholeheartedly and it doesn't mean we have choir boys, it means we've got guys that love football and do the things the right way, for the most part," said McDermott.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mcdermott-thinks-culture-is-more-important-than-how-a-team-plays/ar-BBNTmYO

It’s hard to say for sure. 

Both E. Wood and Incognito were huge losses. We haven’t had the running game that we used to without those two (and especially Incognito). I don’t see Tyrod improving the run game all that much on his own. I mean, it’s not like Josh Allen isn’t pretty darn mobile. 

Plus the WR corps is thin.  None are getting a ton of separation and Tyrod didn’t often throw into tight windows when guys weren’t open (part of the reason he hardly ever turned the ball over). And he wasn’t a huge “50-50, go up and get it” ball thrower, which used to be Benjamin’s strength. 

So I still think we struggle on offense, even with Tyrod. 

But how much better the O would be as a whole? It’s hard to say. 

The way I feel - the offense was probably going to struggle no matter who they had at QB. Tyrod, Anderson, McCarron, Peterman, Allen... so you may as well get Allen the experience and hope it pays off next year. While Tyrod might be better than the QB play we’ve had this year, I don’t know how much better. Maybe we’d eek out some wins on defense (and pick later because of it). But we all knew Tyrod wasn’t the future. So maybe they decided to make a clearer path for the guy they want to be the future QB, and avoid a potential controversy in the locker room (by benching TT). 

Plus, that #65 pick is tough to turn down. 

Edited by BillsFan4

Did you see how absolutely awful Tyrod was this year? And now Baker is tearing it up with the same team? Just stop with this garbage. Tyrod Taylor is a garbage quarterback. The story is written.

• Like (+1) 1