The 5 year (realistic) plan for this team

ShipUPride

4 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

I dont see McDermott getting fired unless he shows no progress next year.

If this team can't stop all the idiotic penalties 7 for 59 this game and 12 for 104 last week., These are drive killing moronic player mental lapses like lining up in the wrong spot, holding, offsides. etc. This is a total lack of discipline and on the coaches. 

If McD can't fix this penalty problem then he needs to be fired and replaced with someone who will discipline the players and instill some discipline into them. You don't see the Patriots players doing this stuff and if they do they don't stay on that team for very long. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ShipUPride said:

I have very big concerns about the long-term impact that the "2019 spending spree" may cause.  Given that this GM and HC have shown absolutely no ability to judge offensive talent, if they are choosing how we spend 80 million in 2019, that means we likely have large, long term contracts (on offense) that will carry multiple years forward.

Here is how I look at it:

Year 1:  Average football team that backs itself into the playoffs.  Overall record:  9-8

Year 2:  Horrific handling of the QB situation (among other positions).  Anticipated overall record:  3-13

Year 3:  80 million poorly spent on offensive weapons that have little to no impact.  Possible overall record:  7-9.  McDermott Fired!

Year 4:  New coach inherits team with no salary cap space, long term contracts on offense.  Fire sale commences.

Year 5:  Rebuild is on... again.

Anyone else have this fear?

Right, it could happen. 

The linchpin of the McDermott/Beane rebuilt is Josh Allen. 

If it's 2014 all over again and 4-5 games into 2019 and Allen looks horrible still with the FA money spent and Draft picks, the seat gets incredibly warm because you're doing the same thing you had to then and now with talking Kyle Orton and Derek Anderson out of retirement to come and play for you. 

5 hours ago, Andy1 said:

That is the story of this organization. You left out the part of the former players starting for other winning teams. 

In last night's game (Cheaps/Bungles), all 4 starting units had a Bills cast off starting. This is not an uncommon occurrence.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ShipUPride said:

I have very big concerns about the long-term impact that the "2019 spending spree" may cause.  Given that this GM and HC have shown absolutely no ability to judge offensive talent, if they are choosing how we spend 80 million in 2019, that means we likely have large, long term contracts (on offense) that will carry multiple years forward.

Year 1:  Average football team that backs itself into the playoffs.  Overall record:  9-8

Year 2:  Horrific handling of the QB situation (among other positions).  Anticipated overall record:  3-13

Year 3:  80 million poorly spent on offensive weapons that have little to no impact.  Possible overall record:  7-9.  McDermott Fired!

Year 4:  New coach inherits team with no salary cap space, long term contracts on offense.  Fire sale commences.

I don’t understand why everyone is blaming Beane and McDermott for a 25 year rebuild. I don’t remember them being here for that long maybe I’m not as good of a fan as I thought and they were here. 

Everyone calling for there heads do you honestly believe if we fired them and brought in a staff that they wouldn’t get rid of players and do the same exact thing?

The things they are being blamed for is crazy. Robert Woods do you think he wanted to resign here for the same money he took in LA. Same thing with Sammy we would have had to overpay both of them just to hope they would stay and who know me at that point if they would want to stay on an offense that needs time with a rookie QB. 

The line took a big hit because we lost two players unexpectedly. There off season plan was more than likely in place before that happened so they found a few stop gap players because it wasn’t in the plan. 

Your saying they don’t know how to elvaluate offensive talent. But most teams always hit on late round receivers and lineman all the time right??

If they don’t give actual rebuilds the opportunity to see it through we will stay I. This same spot forever. You want them fired so what we can bring in a new coach that probably wants to run a 3-4 with man to man corners so we can get rid of the pieces they brought in to turn around and need to replace them? 

Glad none of you are our GM or Owners 

6 hours ago, ShipUPride said:

Taken from another thread (BillsRDue)

#1 - wants Mike McCoy as his OC - is turned down. (McCoy sh*ts the bed in Arizona and is fired)

#2 - hires Rico Dennison

#3 - passes on Patrick Mahomes

#4 - lets Goodwin, Woods, Watkins walk- drafts Zay Jones.

#5 - has a roster with 2 FB's ( DiMarco and Tolbert) and no dominant run game

#6 - goes into the season with Tyrod and Peterman

#7 - starts Peterman in playoff race- He throws 5 INT in ONE HALF- benched.

#8 - brings in Kelvin Benjamin as the WR savior

#9 - scores 3 points in a playoff game.

#10 - fires Rico, hires Dab

#11- loses 3 OL, brings in Newhouse, Bodine - starts Miller, Groy and Ducasse

#12 - fills WR needs with Foster, McCloud, Proehl, cuts Streater, keeps Holmes

#13 - brings in McCarron as his shiny new QB, passes on Bridgewater.

#14- ships McCarron out for a 5th

#15- starts Peterman a second time and gets his ass spanked 47-3

#16- forced to start his rookie and does not prepare for a backup plan in case of emergency.

#17-finds his QB in Derek Anderson who hasn't played in a meaningful game in 7 years.

You're nitpicking. Other than those moves, what have they done wrong? 

14 minutes ago, BillsTT0821 said:

I don’t understand why everyone is blaming Beane and McDermott for a 25 year rebuild. I don’t remember them being here for that long maybe I’m not as good of a fan as I thought and they were here. 

Everyone calling for there heads do you honestly believe if we fired them and brought in a staff that they wouldn’t get rid of players and do the same exact thing?

The things they are being blamed for is crazy. Robert Woods do you think he wanted to resign here for the same money he took in LA. Same thing with Sammy we would have had to overpay both of them just to hope they would stay and who know me at that point if they would want to stay on an offense that needs time with a rookie QB. 

The line took a big hit because we lost two players unexpectedly. There off season plan was more than likely in place before that happened so they found a few stop gap players because it wasn’t in the plan. 

Your saying they don’t know how to elvaluate offensive talent. But most teams always hit on late round receivers and lineman all the time right??

If they don’t give actual rebuilds the opportunity to see it through we will stay I. This same spot forever. You want them fired so what we can bring in a new coach that probably wants to run a 3-4 with man to man corners so we can get rid of the pieces they brought in to turn around and need to replace them? 

Glad none of you are our GM or Owners 

Eric Wood retired January 26th, well before FA and the Draft.

They wanted to make Richie Incognito take a pay cut. 

Again, we try and spin and cover for the FO. 

• Like (+1) 1

I AIN'T WAITING 5 DAMN YEARS. Unless year 2 is playoffs competitive, 3  is an unlucky division round exit, 4 is a tough SB loss to a team that had it's year, and 5 is SB glory with all that playoff SB experience. Let's um.. aim high next year?

Sorry did not even read that post. Yes your 5-year plan is unfortunately possible at the moment

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

11 hours ago, ShipUPride said:

I don’t see the FO getting the team in a bad salary cap situation. I think McBean emphasizes sustainability. I also predict the there will be some hits along with some misses. This year is definitely going to be difficult to watch with the lack of talent at WR, but next year could be good if they get talent inline with the money they spend and Allen matures

12 hours ago, ShipUPride said:

I'm concerned about the rebuild being based on high priced free agents. That rarely works.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Eric Wood retired January 26th, well before FA and the Draft.

They wanted to make Richie Incognito take a pay cut. 

Again, we try and spin and cover for the FO. 

I know he retired early. what I’m saying is at that point I’m sure our front office already had there plan on how to use the cap space. And everyone forgets that Groy filled in pretty well for Wood when he broke his leg. I don’t think they expected him to lay an egg when he got his shot. 

And Incognito and his agent could have declined to take the pay cut. He chose to take it. I’m not trying to cover for the front office. They have made mistakes as does every team. Not every player signed and drafted works out. 

But they have done good as well and deserve a chance. Everyone talks that they gutted there talent but really the only key pieces that They lost from a play off team a year ago was Wood, Incognito, EJ Gaines and Taylor. You can say Glenn to be he hardly played and was hurt most of last season. 

On 10/22/2018 at 7:08 AM, ShipUPride said:

This is what we do.  I'd expect nothing more or less.

5 year plan-

Trade Shady for a 3rd.  Trade KB and Clay each for a 7th. Shed cap.  Add draft picks. Tank this year. I call Arizona about Peterson.  If a 3 and 4 do it, I make that deal.

Draft round 1 Bosa or Oliver

2- Anthony Johnson

Then we would have two 3rd round picks, two 4th round picks, two 5th round picks, one 6th round pick, and four 7th round picks.  Spend every pick on offense-WR, TE, OL, RB, QB- draft all 5 positions and draft often.  I want 8 new starters on offense next season.

FA- I target WRs Tyrell Williams and Tyler Locket.  I offer big contracts to Taylor Lewan and Jake Mathews, Shaq Mason, Mitch Morse- I hope to get OL 2 starters in free agency. I make an offer to injured Jason Verrett.

Years 2-5 Hold on to draft picks.  Trade down.  Draft BPA.  Target OL,QB, DL, CB with majority of picks.  Circle the wagons.  Count your rings

Of course, the long term deals they sign next year set the table along with drafts from 2017/18/19 for McDermott's tenure  Beane screws the pooch and were blowing it right back up with the next guy in 2020

2019 is the make or break year for McBeane. But the one thing I do like about McBeane over all other regimes since 1999 is that McBeane looks like he knows how to draft. Yes the jury is still out but it looks like the 2017 and 2018 drafts could net 6-8 starters (Depending on how Allen and Zay pan out.) White, Dawkins, and Milano are studs, I think deep into year two we can say they are good starting caliber players. Edumonds, Phillips, and Johnson look to be good players who will be a part of the defense for years to come. Even Zay Jones a player most have written off could be salvageable. Of course Allen will in the end make or break their careers but time will tell on him. 

Getting 6 starters in 2 drafts is better than most back to back draft classes this team has had during the drought years. Even free agency has looked better as Star, Murphy, and Ivory (The 3  out of the 4 biggest contracts they handed out in 2018, Vonta was a bust but a 75% hit rate ain't bad on contracts over 3 million aav) all look to be productive players. I know 2017 was McD and Whaley but they brought in Hyde, Proyer, and Haush 3 productive players. 

I think given what they set out to do they have the cap space and one additional draft class to make things work in 2019 and it is make or break unless this season magically turns around. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Continuity.

Over the 17 year span of the drought the Bills had EIGHT head coaches.

Eight.

That's one every two years.

Continuity just for the sake of it doesn’t automatically create success. 

Do you think we would would have been a successful team if Jauron, Chan, or Rex had more time?

I’m all for giving BB and McD time to see their plan through but if after 3 years this team is going nowhere then changes should absolutely be considered.

41 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Continuity just for the sake of it doesn’t automatically create success. 

Do you think we would would have been a successful team if Jauron, Chan, or Rex had more time?

I’m all for giving BB and McD time to see their plan through but if after 3 years this team is going nowhere then changes should absolutely be considered.

My point: it’s worth trying

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Seahawks snuck into the playoffs Carroll's first year at 7-9. His first two years he went 14-18. Third year 11-5 for division title, 5th year SB champs.

Hence why it’s normally silly (aside from Rex) to fire a coach after 2 years. 

If we are letting McD tear it down, might as well see if he can build it back up. He’ll get at least 3 years to get this thing going. 

Edited by Bangarang

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Hence why it’s normally silly (aside from Rex) to fire a coach after 2 years. 

If we are letting McD tear it down, might as well see if he can build it back up. He’ll get at least 3 years to get this thing going. 

Yeh, if they hit on this next draft and the 2018 class turns out good they have a real shot. If I were an owner I'd give each FO a 3 year minimum except, like you say, in exceptionally bad situations where there's just irreparably harmful decisions being made.

No

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

Yes, if Jauron was here for his 14th straight year that would automatically make the Bills Super Bowl winners....

reductio ad absurdum

Maybe would have worked with williams, mularkey, chan or marrone. guess we'll never know.