The number of blowout losses under McBean is astounding

saundena

This whole blowout thing is an embarrassment for the Pegulas.  I'm sure they are not pleased.  They were on the field before the game.  Jim Kelly was there and a bunch of older Bills alumni were on hand to see Frank Reich coach against their beloved Bills.

A lot of fans supported bringing in McDermott as a solid, fresh hire.  new culture, etc..   It just hasn't worked out.  They pretty much lucked into the playoffs last year with a lot of Rex's and Whaley's players.  After trades, FA losses and releases, McBeane have made this team significantly worse.  They aren't showing any vision or plan with player management.  If they miss on Josh Allen, and he doesn't start showing any evidence of being a franchise QB, that will be the final nail in their coffin so to speak.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

This is what rebuilding looks like

the fact that we went to the playoffs in a rebuilding has some of you going batty

mcd is such a horrible coach that he took a rebiuding team to the playoffs for the first time in 17 years SEVENTEEN

yea he sucks

You at least admit making the playoffs was one of the luckiest things ever and we were a Colts 2 point conversion flag away from having an incredibly similar season than like 6 of our last 7, right?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, fridge said:

You at least admit making the playoffs was one of the luckiest things ever and we were a Colts 2 point conversion flag away from having an incredibly similar season than like 6 of our last 7, right?

And that was a pretty shaky call too. I'm shocked the Bills got that call.

Just now, fridge said:

Playoffs is playoffs and every team gets lucky bounces during the season

i don’t even think the intention was to make it last year which is a testimate to coaching

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

i don’t even think the intention was to make it last year which is a testimate to coaching

They did this though. McVay inherited a similar team and look at the Rams in the same amount of time... There were other options for improving the team. This isn't a league mandated rebuild and we certainly didn't have to toss all our talented players to the curb.

Just now, fridge said:

They did this though. McVay inherited a similar team and look at the Rams in the same amount of time... There were other options for improving the team. This isn't a league mandated rebuild and we certainly didn't have to toss all our talented players to the curb.

Because this is the path they took we have to wait and see what the final product is

mcd and beane deserve next year 

33 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Intention? Where does this nonsense come from? Players are paid professionals trying to stay in the league and keep their jobs. The same goes with coaches and FO types.  ( even if they’re not that good at it ). I don’t understand why fans think players and coaches aren’t trying to win. They fought hard and made it to 9-7, then got some breaks with tiebreakers that previous 9-7 squads didn’t. There was more talent on that team because the FO hadn’t finished their purge. It’s simple as that. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Intention? Where does this nonsense come from? Players are paid professionals trying to stay in the league and keep their jobs. The same goes with coaches and FO types.  ( even if they’re not that good at it ). I don’t understand why fans think players and coaches aren’t trying to win. They fought hard and made it to 9-7, then got some breaks with tiebreakers that previous 9-7 squads didn’t. There was more talent on that team because the FO hadn’t finished their purge. It’s simple as that. 

Look at the core players we let go for draft picks

the players are not gonna stop playing but can sure make moves that give you better chances to win or not win

I read somewhere that Bill Belichick's single greatest skill is film study.   He's a master at reviewing film, figuring out what a team is doing and figuring out his team has to do to counter it.  

I think if you're Jekyl and Hyde like the Bills - competitive some days and not others, it says you're bad at film study.   By the seventh game of the season, teams have begun to show their tendencies.   The films will show which plays they run regularly and why those plays work for them.  By this time in the season, your team should be identifying those tendencies and adjusting offensive and defensive schemes to neutralize what the opponent does well and to take advantage of what the opponent does poorly.

Getting blown out by a mediocre team like the Bills did Sunday means, I think, that either the coaches (1) aren't learning what they should from film study or (2) aren't designing effective counter measures to attack the opponent or (3) aren't effectively teaching the players those counter measures.  So maybe the Bills were surprised by what the Ravens did, and maybe even what the Chargers did, but I doubt it.   In any case, they shouldn't have been surprised by what the Colts did.  And they shouldn't have been surprised in mid-season last year, when they were blown out three games in a row.  

One reason the Patriots don't do so well in September is that Belichick doesn't have enough film on the teams to understand and attack their strengths.   And film study is why the Patriots, more so than most teams, look different from week to week.  If the film says a defense is weak against the run, the Patriots become a running team for the week.  If the study says passing is the way to go, that's what the Patriots do.  

You can have all the character you want; if your aren't teaching your players what they need to do, you aren't going to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I read somewhere that Bill Belichick's single greatest skill is film study.   He's a master at reviewing film, figuring out what a team is doing and figuring out his team has to do to counter it.  

I think if you're Jekyl and Hyde like the Bills - competitive some days and not others, it says you're bad at film study.   By the seventh game of the season, teams have begun to show their tendencies.   The films will show which plays they run regularly and why those plays work for them.  By this time in the season, your team should be identifying those tendencies and adjusting offensive and defensive schemes to neutralize what the opponent does well and to take advantage of what the opponent does poorly.

Getting blown out by a mediocre team like the Bills did Sunday means, I think, that either the coaches (1) aren't learning what they should from film study or (2) aren't designing effective counter measures to attack the opponent or (3) aren't effectively teaching the players those counter measures.  So maybe the Bills were surprised by what the Ravens did, and maybe even what the Chargers did, but I doubt it.   In any case, they shouldn't have been surprised by what the Colts did.  And they shouldn't have been surprised in mid-season last year, when they were blown out three games in a row.  

One reason the Patriots don't do so well in September is that Belichick doesn't have enough film on the teams to understand and attack their strengths.   And film study is why the Patriots, more so than most teams, look different from week to week.  If the film says a defense is weak against the run, the Patriots become a running team for the week.  If the study says passing is the way to go, that's what the Patriots do.  

You can have all the character you want; if your aren't teaching your players what they need to do, you aren't going to win. 

excellent post.

the bolded is why I don't believe McD will have a long career in buffalo. 

30 minutes ago, no name said:

excellent post.

the bolded is why I don't believe McD will have a long career in buffalo. 

Yes, that is exactly the question.

It's kind of surprising, because he seemed to be a really solid and creative DC in Carolina.  What's particularly surprising to me is that he seems to have completely struck out on two successive OCs.   You'd think a good DC ought to be able to figure out who's a good OC.  

• Like (+1) 1

To be fair, a ‘blowout’ has two components in points for and points against. Defense had been middling in allowing points and the offense is dead last in scoring. Offensive personnel considered, that’s not entirely unexpected. To me the margin is more indicative of a bad offense than any systemic problem.

On 10/22/2018 at 1:02 PM, Shaw66 said:

Excellent post!

On 10/21/2018 at 4:54 PM, saundena said:

I was against getting rid of Whaley!

Because he executed a clear plan and competent vision to make the Bills great again? My short term memory is a bit fuzzy I’ll admit, but I seem to recall a bunch of go nowhere middle of the road mediocrity as every regime before him too since Butler left. Pretty sad if we are at the point of wanting that guy back. No thanks have seen how that movie ends and I don’t need an encore. This team needed to be rebuilt from the studs up, and yeah it’s sucked a lot this year but there is light at the end of the tunnel given all of the resources about to come our way to allow us to get better fast. 

On 10/22/2018 at 2:11 PM, BananaB said:

If Rex got us to the playoffs he wouldn’t of been fired. It’s that simple

Rex did get the same record as mcdermott, though, and offensively and defensively we were far better rated.  I didn't really get why Rex was so short lived and so many firings considering basically we were ranked top 15 in both categories both years he was here?

I mean, I didn't like Rex as much as the next guy... I'm just not sure WHY we hated him so much. 

We only got in last year by sheer luck.

Edited by BillsFan692