Your Bills Fanhood

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

With all the bickering going on about McBeane, Peterman, etc, TBD has been quite tense the last few days. More than usual I'd say. So I thought I'd start a thread to cool everybody down. Three questions.

1. How did you become a Bills fan?
  2. What do you love most about The Bills? 
  3. What's your favorite memory as a fan?

1.  Genetics.  Born into it.

2.  It's more of a "battered wife syndrome".  I can't quit them.

3.  Walking into the old "Rockpile" for the 1st time with my old man.

1- Friends all Giants  and Jets fans.  I wanted to be different back in high school. ?

2- The friendships that have been made over the years. 

3- I can rembermember on the Jumbotron the Bills showing a sign being lowered over the side of a building downtown that said We’re Back. My daughter was with me. 

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

With all the bickering going on about McBeane, Peterman, etc, TBD has been quite tense the last few days. More than usual I'd say. So I thought I'd start a thread to cool everybody down. Three questions.

1.  got to stay up late to watch MNF in 1973 with Dad, Juice put the hurt on the Chiefs, no looking back

2.  it's an honest franchise, reps the city and it's people well, Jim Kelly fit right in

3.  any Sunday driving down on GameDay, even knowing about 80% of the time it wasn't going to be a good game, the Kelly Era was most of the other 20% of the time

6 minutes ago, chaccof said:

1.  Born in Buffalo to an extended family that got together every Sunday and the men sat around watching the Bills, what choice did I have (this started in the 60's FWIW)?

2.  That they represent my hometown; if they moved I'd stop rooting for them like I did the Buffalo Braves

3.  1) going to a game on my 13th birthday with my dad and cousin and seeing Tom Dempsey miss a chip shot FG saving a Bills victory and 2) the comeback after I had given up on the team and went to play golf and then catching the last five minutes of regulation and OT 

I was at that game.  Bills had a kickoff return TD that game!

1. My mom grew up in a little small town in western Kansas, and went to high school with a guy named Steve Tasker. The same year she moved back to NY with my Dad (who actually grew up a Cowboys fan, but died a DIE-HARD Bills fan) was the same year Steve signed with the Bills. We used to go out to OP on Sundays to watch Steve play. I have pictures of my brother and I in the locker room with Steve when we were little, and with Thurman and all of those early 90's guys, although I don't remember it. So, you could say that I was literally born into it.

2. I love how the Bills are always the epitome of a blue-collar town. Not high profile, hard work.

3. My favorite memory actually ended up a loss... but it was sitting in the stands vs. the Cowboys on MNF in 2007. We had season tickets 3 rows from the field. What an atmosphere the Ralph was that night. It was a hell of a lot of fun for about 59 minutes of football.

• Like (+1) 1

1) I was born into it. My family had season tickets going back to the mid-60’s when I was very young. (Despite what @plenzmd1 might tell you.) In third grade I would walk home from school to a friend’s house, Jack Kemps son. Later my sister used to babysit players kids. I remember watching a game from Butch Byrd’s living room on his TV with his son. It goes way back.

2) What I love the most is how it is a bond that ties my family together. My father, myself, my sons, even my grandson. Nothing better than that, ever. 

3) Best memory is tough, but I can narrow it to 51-3, the Comeback game (at a friends house who foolishly thought he was going to watch Kentucky basketball after halftime) and the Raiders Monday Night game, sitting in the parking lot with a glow warming  my heart trying to believe what I’d just seen. (The Bengals snow game was pretty cool, too.) 

Moved to Buffalo as age 7 and lived there from 1977 to early 1980 before we moved to St Petersburg Fl after three miserable winters .  Bills were on tv so that is the team I got into.  I can still remember my buddies being jealous because the year we were moving the Bucs had just made the playoffs  Of course in 1980 the Bills made the playoffs and the Bucs returned to being the NFL's doormat til the Glazers bought them many many years later.  40+ years later still watching and hopefull!  Only sport that I have any emotional investment in.  Used to be really into the Celtics but after the Bird/Magic/Jordan era ended I just watch casually  Probably a good thing as the Bills wear me out

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

1. I inherited my Bill's fandom from my okie father, who lived in Buffalo only for his junior in high school at Kenmore East, who knocked up my Buffalo native mother.

2. Bill's fans.

3. Our last win???

1.  Born and raised in Buffalo; father was a crazed Bills fan. 

2.  The fellowship.  I left Buffalo years ago and my childhood friends are spread all over the country, but the Bills keep us together.  It used to be phone calls, now it's texting.  This is probably true of every team, but what I find interesting about Bills fans is the common bond that immediately forms between complete strangers when you realize you are both Bills fans.  There is something about having lived through 0 for the 70's, Four consecutive losses, and Ralph Wilson that can allow folks without much else in common to become instant friends.

3.  Too many.  Of course, being at Rich for 51-3 was special.  I was also at the Comeback, and the 22 points, and the first clincher over the Jets with the goal posts carried to Ralph's box, and the home opener earlier that year against Minny when we walked out on a spectacular day thinking this year is the year the Bills will arrive on the national scene, turned the car on and the 10,000 Maniacs came screaming out of the radio confirming for us that destiny was calling.  Even my first live game, against Philly in 73 when Tom Dempsey, holder of the 63 yard field goal record lined up with seconds left to take the 20-something yard field goal for the Eagles - - and shanked it, giving Buffalo the win.  And of course, sharing so many of these and other Bills moments with my dad.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

1. I got a transistor radio for my 11th birthday and became fascinated by radio. The station that I listened to carried the Bills games. End of story.

2. The loyalty of the fan base. We've been through so much and still support the team. That's dedication.

3. The comeback game. - I was working in a record store in the mall and tuned the store sound system to the game right after the Oilers scored to make it 35-3. I kept the game on and by the end, there were multiple people just standing in the store and listening to the game. 

3a. Beating the Raiders to advance to the first Super Bowl.

1. My best friend's family was from NY. They all liked the Jets or the Giants. I decided to go with a different NY team, plus I liked their uniforms. This was '87-'88. 

2. I feel that the Bills have helped me to be fan of a team, but also be able to separate that from every day life. Having been a fan I got joked on every year for 4 years because of the SB losses, especially the last 3. At that point I realized I could be a fan who enjoyed the highs, but didn't let the lows effect me. I do admit that I was somewhat relieved when they didn't go to the SB my Senior year. 

3. Favorite Bills moment was watching the entire game against the Oilers in 1993. I remember being almost sick watching the game and then the 3rd quarter happened. I remember thinking we would still choke in OT. When Christie made that kick it was probably the happiest I've ever been as a Bills fan.  

1. Grew up in Amherst - Dad had season tix since 61 before I was born (still have them) so always a Bills fan

2. Love most about the Bills - that all Bills' fans are one family. Went to the Dodger NLCS game the other night wearing a Bills hat. Guy on the bus to stadium says "Go Bills" (he's from Rochester). Guy sitting behind me says "Go Bills"  (he's from Lackawanna)

3. Favorite memory - either flying in from Los Angeles to see the 51-3 championship game  - or - 

- going with my Dad as a 6 year old to my first Bills game in 1968, a 37 to 35 win over Joe Willie and the Jets (our only win).

Still vividly remember walking in and seeing the beautiful green field at the end of the tunnel

4 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

1. Born in WNY.

2. The Bills represent the nostalgia I have for WNY and are a tie to family.

3. Doug Flutie's naked bootleg against the Jaguars 

1. When they drafted Bruce Smith 

2. I was a Steeler fan as a kid mostly because I couldn’t stand and still can’t stand the Cowboys. The Bills ARE western NY!! I could relate to them and having an all time great in Bruce Smith and others like Kelly and Thurman was very exciting! 

3. Hard to pick just one. Certainly the Comeback , Raider playoff game and anytime we can beat Brady!

17 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

1. Born and raised in ROC. 

2. The resiliency and football IQ of the fan base. 

3. I was on a business trip to the west coast when the Pegula’s bid was accepted late at night. Waking up that morning in an LA hotel room, listening to WGR streaming, callers openly weeping with joy that the Bills’ future in Buffalo was secure. Not gonna lie, there was a lot of dust flying around that room when I realized I was ensured being able to raise my small kids as Bills fans, going to games etc. That was a good day. 

1. They were my hometown team...so I didn’t know I had choice.

2. I’ve come to love the underdog role. Being a Patriots fan right now would feel way too entitled.

3. Taking my Dad to the Super Bowl in Pasadena after all the years he’d taken me to games in Buffalo.

1. I was born and raised just across the border, 30 mins from Buffalo, and still live here today. So the Bills are my hometown team, so to speak.

2. I really enjoy going to games and meeting other fans at the tailgate, and just having a great time partying. I don’t know if my fandom would be this strong if not for the game day experience.

3. My favourite memory is probably the last two games against Green Bay. My buddy, who’s a Pack fan, and I organized a bus trip here in 2014 and we all had a great time. This year the same buddy and I made the trip to Green Bay and sat 7 rows behind the Bills’ bench and despite the loss it was an awesome weekend.

A close second would be last year, watching the Bengals pull it out for us while at a holiday party with friends. Seeing the Bills end the drought after so many years was special. I’m 40, and have been a diehard fan for about 28 years, it’s crazy that the drought went on that long.

15 hours ago, Enemarty said:

1.  Born and raised in Buffalo; father was a crazed Bills fan. 

2.  The fellowship.  I left Buffalo years ago and my childhood friends are spread all over the country, but the Bills keep us together.  It used to be phone calls, now it's texting.  This is probably true of every team, but what I find interesting about Bills fans is the common bond that immediately forms between complete strangers when you realize you are both Bills fans.  There is something about having lived through 0 for the 70's, Four consecutive losses, and Ralph Wilson that can allow folks without much else in common to become instant friends.

3.  Too many.  Of course, being at Rich for 51-3 was special.  I was also at the Comeback, and the 22 points, and the first clincher over the Jets with the goal posts carried to Ralph's box, and the home opener earlier that year against Minny when we walked out on a spectacular day thinking this year is the year the Bills will arrive on the national scene, turned the car on and the 10,000 Maniacs came screaming out of the radio confirming for us that destiny was calling.  Even my first live game, against Philly in 73 when Tom Dempsey, holder of the 63 yard field goal record lined up with seconds left to take the 20-something yard field goal for the Eagles - - and shanked it, giving Buffalo the win.  And of course, sharing so many of these and other Bills moments with my dad.

Wow, you’ve seen some great games!

1.) From North Tonawanda. Everyone is a Bills fan.

2.) I’ve lived all over the Country. There are passionate Bills fans EVERYWHERE, all of whom have connections to WNY.

3.) Sure -to all the other responses. Saw many games at WMS and the 1st games at Rich. Season tickets throughout the Kelly era, so I haven’t just enjoyed the highlights, I was present at many of them. 2 stick out. 37-35 Win over the Jets in ‘68 and learning from my Dad and men in the neighborhood that we stole Jack Kemp from San Diego mid ‘63.