Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liz Warren in PR: 

Even now, even after the Trump administration has denied how many died and has dragged its feet on sending adequate disaster relief funds, the president of the United States has doubled down on the insult by toying with the idea of diverting your recovery funds to build a wall. ... Back when he was running for office, Donald Trump promised that Mexico would pay for this wall. Now he thinks that the people of Puerto Rico, who are struggling to get back on their feet, should get stuck with the bill instead. It’s insulting. It’s disrespectful. This ugliness has gone far enough. Puerto Rico has suffered enough. We will not allow anyone to sabotage your recovery — not even the president of the United States.

https://www.wgbh.org/news/politics/2019/01/22/this-ugliness-has-gone-on-for-long-enough-warren-slams-trumps-handling-of-hurricanes-in-puerto-rico

PARTY OF OLD WHITE MEN: 

Surging Biden ‘in the driver’s seat,’ 14-point 2020 lead over Sanders.

Former Vice President Joe Biden’s recent hints about entering the 2020 Democratic presidential primaries have helped to rocket him into the lead, further breaking away from Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and former first lady Michelle Obama in a big way, according to a new poll.

The latest Zogby Analytics Poll shows the former Delaware senator doing 50 percent better than Sanders, the 2016 Democratic runner-up to Hillary Clinton, who lost to President Trump.

“Biden’s in the driver’s seat! Biden is the favorite, even with Michelle Obama in the race; Sanders in second place,” said the poll analysis provided to Secrets.

Among Democrats, Biden has 31 percent to 17 percent lead in the 2020 horse race poll. Among all Democratic primary voters, including independents, his lead is 27 percent to 18 percent for Sanders.

When Obama was added into the poll of all Democratic primary voters, Biden maintained his lead at 25 percent to 17 percent for Obama. With her in the survey, Sanders sunk to 12 percent.

No other Democrat registered double digits, even those who’ve announced such as California Sen. Kamala Harris, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, or New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand.

Of the 410 likely Democratic voters surveyed, only one chose Clinton ally and former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe.

Ouch.

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

It should be required reading:

constitution.jpg

i recently heard an interesting conspiracy about reading the Constitution: Teaching cursive has been gradually phased out over time so that common people could not read the original document and the wording could be manipulated in print versions

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/23/2019 at 11:10 AM, B-Man said:

PARTY OF OLD WHITE MEN: 

Surging Biden ‘in the driver’s seat,’ 14-point 2020 lead over Sanders.

Former Vice President Joe Biden’s recent hints about entering the 2020 Democratic presidential primaries have helped to rocket him into the lead, further breaking away from Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and former first lady Michelle Obama in a big way, according to a new poll.

The latest Zogby Analytics Poll shows the former Delaware senator doing 50 percent better than Sanders, the 2016 Democratic runner-up to Hillary Clinton, who lost to President Trump.

“Biden’s in the driver’s seat! Biden is the favorite, even with Michelle Obama in the race; Sanders in second place,” said the poll analysis provided to Secrets.

Among Democrats, Biden has 31 percent to 17 percent lead in the 2020 horse race poll. Among all Democratic primary voters, including independents, his lead is 27 percent to 18 percent for Sanders.

When Obama was added into the poll of all Democratic primary voters, Biden maintained his lead at 25 percent to 17 percent for Obama. With her in the survey, Sanders sunk to 12 percent.

No other Democrat registered double digits, even those who’ve announced such as California Sen. Kamala Harris, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, or New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand.

Of the 410 likely Democratic voters surveyed, only one chose Clinton ally and former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe.

Ouch.

This isn't groundbreaking.  If Biden had run in 16 he would be president right now.  The Dems thought they could force Hillary on people without regard for just how many Dems didn't like her.  Biden is pretty well liked by all Dems and would have crushed Trump imo.  I feel that Bernie would have beat him as well but we will never know...  Now that Trump is office though I will say Biden is probably the best bet to unseat him but no longer a guarantee.  Americans love to re-elect.

23 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

i recently heard an interesting conspiracy about reading the Constitution: Teaching cursive has been gradually phased out over time so that common people could not read the original document and the wording could be manipulated in print versions

Scanning causes all kinds of errors from the text.

7 minutes ago, section122 said:

This isn't groundbreaking.  If Biden had run in 16 he would be president right now.  The Dems thought they could force Hillary on people without regard for just how many Dems didn't like her.  Biden is pretty well liked by all Dems and would have crushed Trump imo.  I feel that Bernie would have beat him as well but we will never know...  Now that Trump is office though I will say Biden is probably the best bet to unseat him but no longer a guarantee.  Americans love to re-elect.

I agree Biden is seen as the most likely to beat Trump by the beltway. 

Reality is, Biden's window closed in '16 and his ability to connect with the "working man/blue collar" voter is more legend than reality. He's got too many skeletons and too many real bad optics that Trump will just bludgeon him with. On top of the most vocal/monied part of the left is now the progressive wing of the party, and Biden is an old white man meaning they won't come out in the numbers needed for Biden to have any chance. 2020 Trump v Biden is a walk for Trump. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Reality is, Biden's window closed in '16 and his ability to connect with the "working man/blue collar" voter is more legend than reality. He's got too many skeletons and too many real bad optics that Trump will just bludgeon him with. On top of the most vocal/monied part of the left is now the progressive wing of the party, and Biden is an old white man meaning they won't come out in the numbers needed for Biden to have any chance. 2020 Trump v Biden is a walk for Trump. 

Yeah I agree his best shot was riding the Obama wave but I won't count him out yet.  I think he is a lock for the Dem nomination though.  His running partner will be interesting and hopefully it isn't a pandering pick like Palin was.  It will be interesting though.  Trump takes these politicians out of their element and trolls them which gets an emotional response.  Joe has the "Biden Bro" persona which should motivate the young people.  However he also has the "creepy uncle Joe" persona to battle too.

I've said it before but I'm prepared for Trump again in 2020. First because as I said America loves to re-elect but secondly, once that curtain closes, you can vote for whomever you'd like.  People might not admit in public to liking Trump but I think many more actually do than say they do.  2016 was an incredible year where both parties put up terrible candidates but 1 party underestimated how terrible their candidate was.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, section122 said:

Yeah I agree his best shot was riding the Obama wave but I won't count him out yet.  I think he is a lock for the Dem nomination though.  His running partner will be interesting and hopefully it isn't a pandering pick like Palin was.  It will be interesting though.  Trump takes these politicians out of their element and trolls them which gets an emotional response.  Joe has the "Biden Bro" persona which should motivate the young people.  However he also has the "creepy uncle Joe" persona to battle too.

I've said it before but I'm prepared for Trump again in 2020. First because as I said America loves to re-elect but secondly, once that curtain closes, you can vote for whomever you'd like.  People might not admit in public to liking Trump but I think many more actually do than say they do.  2016 was an incredible year where both parties put up terrible candidates but 1 party underestimated how terrible their candidate was.

I hear you there :beer: 

No one in the announced field has much of a chance in 2020 (imo of course) - for all the reasons you stated above and more.  

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Scanning causes all kinds of errors from the text.

A new revised version for millennial Democrats, The Constitution 2.0.

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I hear you there :beer: 

No one in the announced field has much of a chance in 2020 (imo of course) - for all the reasons you stated above and more.  

Strangely I am most interested to see if Trump gets the de facto nomination that sitting presidents usually do or if republicans try to put someone up against him.  He destroyed a lot of repubs last primary season.  I wonder if people will run against him to unseat him, avoid it because they don't want him to go in on them, or what will happen.

For the dems like I said Biden has it locked up imo.  Bernie is 4 years older and started a movement but he is seen as too radical.  I'm left leaning and some of his ideas even make me leery.  I would have voted for him in 16 due to the him being the best of a bad bunch of candidates but don't know if that will hold true in 20.  Bernie did do some good for me personally at least.  He exposed the DNC corruption and he exposed corporate media as much more bias than I had realized.  I was one of those idiots that voted for a 3rd party candidate to try and get another party involved.  I just couldn't support Trump or Clinton as President.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I think you should stick to conspiracy stuff ?.

Biden will mop the floor with Trump.  We're talkin' strap Trump to a broom handle and spread the mop and glow with Trump's turbo wrap hair.  Joe is like many backup QB's, the most popular guy in town. 

We'll be 4 years removed from 2016.  The country is already growing Trump-weary IMO and two more years of daily media attacks, congressional investigations and Pelosi stone-walling the egotistical adolescent will take its toll IMO.  That and a likely slowing economy at election time will make it tough.  Trump supporters will turn out but there simply aren't enough of them. Biden will run as the adult in the room, will choose a female and/or minority running mate and flip nearly every swing state.  Trump will have almost nobody outside of his inner circle on his side.  That's what my crystal ball says. 

Edited by keepthefaith

Just now, keepthefaith said:

I think you should stick to conspiracy stuff ?.

Biden will mop the floor with Trump.  We're talkin' strap Trump to a broom handle and spread the mop and glow with Trump's turbo wrap hair.  Joe is like many backup QB's, the most popular guy in town. 

We'll be 4 years removed from 2016.  The country is already growing Trump-weary IMO and two more years of daily media attacks, congressional investigations and Pelosi stone-walling the egotistical adolescent will take its toll IMO.  That and a likely slowing economy at election time will make it tough.  Trump supporters will turn out but their simply aren't enough of them. Biden will run as the adult in the room, will choose a female and/or minority running mate and flip nearly every swing state.  Trump will have almost nobody outside of his inner circle on his side.  That's what my crystal ball says. 

Biden is a very silly man.

he can’t carry a campaign

5 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Knee pad accessories not included.

I’m never bringing that thing into my house. I can just see me ending up at the bottom of my stairs, headfirst, like Telly Savalas.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Ah, the Metamucil Debates.

So they're going to crap out Kamala Harris, while Tulsi Gabbard apologizes for having opinions 20 years ago, leaving Elizabeth Warren to do a rain dance while Beto O'Rourke and Julian Castro argue over who is more hispanic?

8 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

So they're going to crap out Kamala Harris, while Tulsi Gabbard apologizes for having opinions 20 years ago, leaving Elizabeth Warren to do a rain dance while Beto O'Rourke and Julian Castro argue over who is more hispanic?

Beto is the strongest candidate by far. He's the one you should be concerned about.

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

Pretty much. While Bernie and Uncle Joe debate over who had a better bowel movement and the others you mention battle it out over who can push for a higher income tax rate, the little known Congressman Ilhan Omar will sneak in and win the Sharia Party's nomination and get endorsed by the Democrat Party, but losing in the general election to Trump who won 49 states. Michigan, for some strange reason was his only loss. Well, that and Lackawanna.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Beto is the strongest candidate by far. He's the one you should be concerned about.

Yes, I encourage you to follow his travel diary. He is a feather who thinks he's a heavyweight.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Pretty much. While Bernie and Uncle Joe debate over who had a better bowel movement and the others you mention battle it out over who can push for a higher income tax rate, the little known Congressman Ilhan Omar will sneak in and win the Sharia Party's nomination and get endorsed by the Democrat Party, but losing in the general election to Trump who won 49 states. Michigan, for some strange reason was his only loss. Well, that and Lackawanna.

Yes, I encourage you to follow his travel diary. He is a feather who thinks he's a heavyweight.

When the best dirt you have is a dental visit, it's probably not a good sign. Warren is damaged goods, Biden represents the past, and Harris just doesn't have the political chops. The optics of O'Rourke vs. Trump will not be good for your side, but time will tell.