The Bills' D is Starting to Take Form - Now Number Three in DVOA

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Why the !@#$ would you trade Hughes? 

I wouldn't ...

But as he is one of a few vets on this team with any trade value it has been proposed here many times and will again before too long... (probably after the next loss..)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

For some reason posters just want to trade the whole roster away and have NO players. Literally 0 players. It makes 0 sense to me.

There seems to be some obsession here about trading good players away for low round draft picks...

I agree... I don't get it...

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I would keep Hughes next year...

He is not overly expensive for his abilities, and he will be motivated in a contract year to play well for one last payday.. ( maybe not with Buffalo for 2020 and beyond..)

I have feeling though that there will be another dozen or so "trade Hughes for a 6th" threads over the next 8 months......

Hughes will be 31 next season pass rushers tend to stay productive in their early 30's (the cliff for pass rushers tends to be 32/33) so I certainly think that if you also factor in his role in the locker room along with his current level of production I think Hughes has to be on the 2019 roster. Hughes isn't paid a crazy contract for his level of production so I don't see why he wouldn't be on the 2019 roster. 

I think if Hughes ends up playing at his current level then I can't see any sensible fan calling for him to be traded. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

Looks like the defense is improving. As some other posters mentioned I think the DT Phillips we just signed played well & our backup players are coming in & holding their own.

The DL rotation is much stronger with him on the team.

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

He is not overly expensive for his abilities, and he will be motivated in a contract year to play well for one last payday.. ( maybe not with Buffalo for 2020 and beyond..)

I have feeling though that there will be another dozen or so "trade Hughes for a 6th" threads over the next 8 months......

Hell yes you keep Hughes.  He is a borderline elite edge rusher, and those guys don’t grow on trees.  He might be having his best year...

Edited by mannc

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They are congealing into a unit that can keep the team in games on a weekly basis.  It's nice to see after the slow start to begin the season. 

Not according to half the shouters in the shoutbox during the game when the D would give up a first. In fact every possession was going to end in a TD......but wait.....it didnt...you my friend are a genius again today! Goint for the hat trick?

2 hours ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

THE DEFENSE WAS LEGIT TWO YEARS AGO TOO. wtf does that get you when your offense is dead last every year.... I’m so fed up with how dismal we’ve looked on O

It’s annoying, but they had zero money to spend this year. I don’t agree with the offensive talent they let go, but it’s apparent there will be no reinforcements until 2019. The defense during Rex’s last year here ( two years ago) wasn’t very good, btw. 

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

He's been a very good Bill, has played his butt off this year.

They built this D basically from the ground up and it's littered with legit talent. That Dline is starting to look scary with Shaqs versatility and Phillips looks extremely explosive for a 330 pounder. Alexander and Hughes are playing outta their minds! Edmunds looks better every week , Milano is everywhere. The secondary has been banged up but still playing fantastic , so much to like about this D. I see a top 10 unit by week 17. And a d that will be good for a long time

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Could that "unknown reason" be Sean McDermott taking over the defensive play calling?

He only took it over for a half. It has been back with Frazier since. But I think Frazier just needed reminding that fundamentally we want to be aggressive on early downs. 

We have a very talented young core with a lot of good players 27 or younger (Milano, T. White, Edmunds, T. Johnson, Harrison Phillips, Poyer, Hyde, Murphy).  Even Shaq Lawson is decent against the run and made a nice strip today (just not good as a pass rusher) and Ryan Lewis has been a pleasant surprise.

We should be able to focus solely on upgrading the offense next year.  I just hope Josh Allen isn't in a wheel chair by the end of the year.