Bills in Blue on White on Sunday vs. the Titans

Just now, Starr Almighty said:

Or at least wear them once a year. It would look much better than what the Pack were wearing on Sunday

They can't unless they make the effort to repaint each helmet for one game and I don't see them doing that.

Really! I just figured they could get a red set of helmets. That's very interesting and so NFL at the same time.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They can't unless they make the effort to repaint each helmet for one game and I don't see them doing that.

Really! I just figured they could get a red set of helmets. That's very interesting and so NFL at the same time.

52 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

They should go back to the red helmets

I agree. What year did they switch? Surely it didn't coincide with us becoming crap? They definitely had red helmets for the homerun throwback, and definitely had white helmets for the Losman era, but I can't remember what they wore for the Bledsoe years... I think it was red actually

41 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I agree. What year did they switch? Surely it didn't coincide with us becoming crap? They definitely had red helmets for the homerun throwback, and definitely had white helmets for the Losman era, but I can't remember what they wore for the Bledsoe years... I think it was red actually

2011 back to white helmets. No JP Losman involvement whatsoever.

1 minute ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

2011 back to white helmets. No JP Losman involvement whatsoever.

Oh yeah. I just Googled JP and sure enough they did have the red helmets still.  I think I must have been remembering the throwback uniforms with the white helmets.

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

How do the Rams do it?

The Rams don’t change the shell color. They just change from white to yellow horns (simple decal change) and change out the face masks.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So a lot of miscommunication on helmets here so goes like this:

1960 silver helmets with numbers

1962 switch to white with standing buffalo which see's helmet add minor stripping changes but otherwise the same through 1973

1974 the current rushing buffalo logo is added

1984 helmet color is changed from white to red to help Bills QB Joe Ferguson differentiate between the rest of the divisional opponents which all wore white

2002 helmet receives minor stripping changes as uniforms change to navy. Also Bills propose a new alternate logo which is rejected due to fan backlash (look up 2002 bills proposed logo you can't miss it)

2005-2011 The Bills use throwback uniforms bringing back the standing buffalo and royal blue jerseys.

2011 Bills go back to their classic royal blue look with a white helmet and charging buffalo.

2013 NFL releases one shell rule. Per this rule NFL players are only allowed one helmet which is inspected and cleared by the NFL. Because of this rule and the work needed to alter helmets to other colors it basically eliminates classic favorites like Pat the Patriot, Eagles Kelly Green, Bucs Creamsicle, & Bills Red helmet. Because the Bills are currently able to just swap decals and stickers they are in a pretty strong place uniform wise minus the red helmet.

Here is a link explaining more: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/an-nfl-safety-rule-is-limiting-the-full-potential-of-new-uniform-designs-091616

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

So a lot of miscommunication on helmets here so goes like this:

1960 silver helmets with numbers

1962 switch to white with standing buffalo which see's helmet add minor stripping changes but otherwise the same through 1973

1974 the current rushing buffalo logo is added

1984 helmet color is changed from white to red to help Bills QB Joe Ferguson differentiate between the rest of the divisional opponents which all wore white

2002 helmet receives minor stripping changes as uniforms change to navy. Also Bills propose a new alternate logo which is rejected due to fan backlash (look up 2002 bills proposed logo you can't miss it)

2005-2011 The Bills use throwback uniforms bringing back the standing buffalo and royal blue jerseys.

2011 Bills go back to their classic royal blue look with a white helmet and charging buffalo.

2013 NFL releases one shell rule. Per this rule NFL players are only allowed one helmet which is inspected and cleared by the NFL. Because of this rule and the work needed to alter helmets to other colors it basically eliminates classic favorites like Pat the Patriot, Eagles Kelly Green, Bucs Creamsicle, & Bills Red helmet. Because the Bills are currently able to just swap decals and stickers they are in a pretty strong place uniform wise minus the red helmet.

Here is a link explaining more: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/an-nfl-safety-rule-is-limiting-the-full-potential-of-new-uniform-designs-091616

Buffalo Bills Year-by-Year Uniform Combinations

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Bills propose a new alternate logo which is rejected due to fan backlash (look up 2002 bills proposed logo you can't miss it)

It really wasn’t that terrible as long as the intent was a secondary logo.

I had a connection at New Era and actually scored a cap with that logo on it. Wish I still had it, would be a nice little piece of trivia.

41 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

It really wasn’t that terrible as long as the intent was a secondary logo.

I had a connection at New Era and actually scored a cap with that logo on it. Wish I still had it, would be a nice little piece of trivia.

Yea I think with some small updates it actually could be a cool alternate from time to time.

10 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There must be a peel coat that teams could use to make helmets red for 1 game, but nobody is trying it

Actually there is!  My son in law's father owns was one of the creators of the company...just google Game Day Skinz  (GDS)

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Are CFB teams using this?

The target market was originally for high schools and small colleges who wanted a special look for homecoming or a rivalry game.  It's really not all that expensive, and keeps these schools from having to provide multiple helmets for each player.

11 hours ago, BBills88 said:

They should go back to the red helmets

Also easier for QB to see in a snowstorm ?

This may be a dumb question as I haven’t really thought it through, but whose decision is it as to what the uni scheme/color combos are for any given season? More specifically, if the fans overwhelmingly supported a return to say, the glory year uniform color combos & red helmets, who would be the ultimate decision maker on that? 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12