FIRE Daboll ASAP

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What if they are not trying to save their season?

What if we are rebiulding and going 8-8 doesnt really help us this year?

Hmmmmmm

what is the "re" in rebuilding.   That implies something was built before.  I think people need to look at the Bills like an expansion team, starting from scratch. 

4 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Having a D minded HC is so outdated. Look at McVay in  LA, Reid in KC,  Nagy in Chi among others. McD just isn't a quality HC in the league.

I am not sure McDermott has what it takes to be an NFL head coach.  I think a creative OC would be helpful. 

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, Roman wasn't fired after only two games. He was fired after eighteen games, two games into his second season.

By a horrible head coach desperate to draw attention away from his own poor performance. Suggesting anyone do something because it's already been done by Rex Ryan while he was in charge of the Bills is not really a winning argument.

Why would you not want to go and do things that Rex Ryan did in the past? He was such a success that I dont know why more people wouldn't be copying his every coaching move in his career.....  

I don't think that firing Daboll is going to fix all the offensive problems but he sure isn't doing Allen any favors by constantly calling slow developing 5 and 7 step drop pass plays.  He leaves Allen waiting for receivers to get open and as we all have seen these guys are having difficulty creating separation.

Have any of you seen the play calling Matt Nagy is doing in Chicago?  That's what an innovative modern offense looks like in the NFL.

7 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

If the Bills want to save the season/help Allen progress then something has to be done. I know they need continuity, but it's best to nip it in the bud and do it NOW instead of waiting until the end of the year where Daboll will inevitably be gone. There is no way Josh is going to blossom when there is no running game being established and he is getting sacked 7 times a game. I mean  they're down 16 points early in the 4th and the Bills were in need of 4 yards on third down and what does the genius Daboll call? A long developing pass play where the every WR are running 20-30 yards down the field and not giving Allen a decent check down option. Our line is TERRIBLE ! what the hell was that?? Why is he not playing to our only strength and running it? It was happening all game long, 5 wide sets and expecting miracles. I'm not going to act like I'm some offensive coordinator, but I can see that this is not working and I can see (we all can see) that Daboll is in way over his head The 1-31 Browns are scoring points this year with a rookie QB and that's because Mayfield is given easy plays and a running game. Allen was at fault, but he's not being set up to win. 

Was this the play before we got them to jump offsides on the punt but declined the penalty that should have gave us a first down. I thought we lost yArds but my buddy says it was still 4th and 4. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Why would you not want to go and do things that Rex Ryan did in the past? He was such a success that I dont know why more people wouldn't be copying his every coaching move in his career.....  

He has a heck of a lot more success than McDermott ever had. I mean you have to give him that at least

17 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Was this the play before we got them to jump offsides on the punt but declined the penalty that should have gave us a first down. I thought we lost yArds but my buddy says it was still 4th and 4. 

Yeah, that was really bizarre. 

1 hour ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I don't think that firing Daboll is going to fix all the offensive problems but he sure isn't doing Allen any favors by constantly calling slow developing 5 and 7 step drop pass plays.  He leaves Allen waiting for receivers to get open and as we all have seen these guys are having difficulty creating separation.

Have any of you seen the play calling Matt Nagy is doing in Chicago?  That's what an innovative modern offense looks like in the NFL.

That's what I'm saying. I think it would help in the long run, but I guess at this point either fire him or keep him the rest of the year. It's still early enough to turn things around

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I agree. I was puzzled by the Daboll hire myself because there were so many better candidates out there, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. You might be right about the continuity thing, but I figured that he can still get that if you make the move now. I'm willing to give it a couple other games, but it isn't looking good.

What candidates were so much better? Mike McCoy?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The offensive line is plenty talented? 

Pretty sure the WR's are dropping catches because they !@#$ing blow. 

They are basically throwing Allen to the wolves with nothing around him and letting him sink or swim. Ideally a veteran QB should be taking the beating and mentoring Josh in the process until there's an actual NFL wide receiver on the team. Just lack of foresight by McBeane. They were infatuated with steady Eddie too much. 

I think the OL is talented enough to be more competitive than they've been,  yes.  Many of their miscues are due to not being where they are suppossed to be.  

The wide receivers have NFL-level skills.  Zay Jones holds the college catch record.  Benjamin caught the ball 62% of the time it was thrown to him last year.  He showed what he can do when he's focuses in the preseason game against CAR.  He's at 33% this year.  You aren't in the NFL if you have zero talent catching footballs.  

I yearn for Anthony Lynn calling plays, running the offense. 

The 2016 Buffalo Bills had the #1 team in the NFL in rushing yards, #1 in the NFL in rushing TDs, #1 in the NFL yards per rushing attempt.

492 rushing attempts while being the #2 team in attempts. 474 passing attempts with Tyrod and EJ at QB.  Now swap in Josh Allen and it gives the rookie QB a solid run game to enable him to develop properly. The Bills ran the WC offense with shorter throws to help move the chains and make first downs. The problem was they had Tyrod who wouldn't attempt to throw unless the receiver was wide open. 

This Brian Daboll offense reminds me of Turk Schonert calling plays under Dick Jauron in 2008 in that Mike Martz deep passing scheme that ruined both JP Losman & Trent Edwards by getting them hammered. Attempting 5-7 step drop backs behind a line that wouldn't give them the time to make those deep throws. 

On another note to allow the OPs wish to come true. McD does have a very seasoned OC on the team in Terry Robiskie  the WR coach who coached 2nd year QB Marcus Mariota in Tenn. under Mike Mularkey to a 9-7 record 2x. Should he really want to make a change at OC to save Allen from being ruined.  Stating that it looks like Mike Mularkey is out of work and might want to return to the NFL as an OC. 

43 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

How would you know...they have never actually done it

You're right John the Bills have not totally rebuilt an offense in a long long time.

They have changed OCs every 2 years or less and continually tweaked what they had.

I got a feeling that Daboll (with Beane and McDermott's OK) is starting from scratch with Josh Allen.

I could easily predict that Dawkins could be the only offensive starter who will be around 2 years from now

other than Josh.

I know people are complaining about not running enough but Josh Allen and his arm is not going to be a

game manager QB.  He is going to be a gunner so I'm thinking that Daboll is evaluating his position coaches

and his schemes along with the players.  IF that is what the plan is I am all for it.  I know it won't make sense to

a lot of posters but I think it could be the right thing to do.

The Bill's are not offensively talented enough to worry about playing the game to fit the player they got.

Most of these players will not be here very long.

As a matter of fact they need to develop an offense that Daboll sees Josh Allen running.

I really hope he has the power to evaluate ALL of he offensive position coaches this year and fire/hire

those who see the Josh Allen vision he SHOULD be creating.

What do you/others think of my theory?

55 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I think the OL is talented enough to be more competitive than they've been,  yes.  Many of their miscues are due to not being where they are suppossed to be.  

The wide receivers have NFL-level skills.  Zay Jones holds the college catch record.  Benjamin caught the ball 62% of the time it was thrown to him last year.  He showed what he can do when he's focuses in the preseason game against CAR.  He's at 33% this year.  You aren't in the NFL if you have zero talent catching footballs.  

:thumbsup:

I've seen that all year in each and every game in which a defender is left unblocked because a Bills linemen takes another's block. Dawkins did it once and he blocked the DT while the edge rusher came free.  I've seen this happen way more often then it should. This shouldn't happen after the preseason is over.

I think it's a cross between bad coaching (Juan Castillo) /play calling/game planning (Daboll). If McD fires Daboll he also needs to fire Castillo even more so. The line can't block properly, bad discipline in getting so many penalties, no run game to speak of. 

I'm not ready to blow out Daboll yet. Yes he's bounced around a lot of teams but yesterday's play calling was stupid. You already know you have one of the weakest OL/WR combos in the NFL. Give your young rookie qb a fighting chance with quick reads, short dropbacks. You had to know Green Bay watched Viking tape and were going to blitz all day long. I saw zero hot reads by anyone. Josh is basically playing with olineman and wr's who won't even be on the field next year. Daboll gets the whole year to figure something out. 

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm not ready to blow out Daboll yet. Yes he's bounced around a lot of teams but yesterday's play calling was stupid. You already know you have one of the weakest OL/WR combos in the NFL. Give your young rookie qb a fighting chance with quick reads, short dropbacks. You had to know Green Bay watched Viking tape and were going to blitz all day long. I saw zero hot reads by anyone. Josh is basically playing with olineman and wr's who won't even be on the field next year. Daboll gets the whole year to figure something out. 

Yet the Browns have good players for Mayfield