Sign in to follow this  
John from Riverside

For those of us who were not alive to see it, how did the class of '83 look out of the gate?

All of the first rounders except for Baltimore are all starting before mid season is even here...........

I realize that this will not be fully know for a few years......but does this look like the greatest QB draft ever?

Don’t know yet.  Mixed bag from Darnold and Allen.  Baker Mayfield has played one good game.  Rosen played 4 minutes and looked okay.  LJ is at best a gadget player at this point.  We’ll see.  ‘83 was a pretty good class.

• Like (+1) 1

Well it certainly could turn into something special.  I still wonder about Rosen.  Idk why really but he is the one a wonder about the most.  I just dont see any fire.  He has that Jay Cutler type demeanor to me.  But he could be great who knows.

If it does turned into something truly special the Bill's were part of it again...just like we were in the Kelly draft.

Edited by Skins Malone

If three of the QBs make the HOF, then I'd say it's no better than equal to the best QB draft year ('83). 

• Like (+1) 2

This thread stems from the thread asking if this was already the greatest QB class ever. I was not alive in 1983, and I was wondering how some of the quarterbacks looked right out of the gate. I won't count Kelly because of the whole Houston Gamblers thing. But, how did guys like Ken O'Brien or Todd Blackledge look? Did Elway and Marino look like world-beaters from the start? I know Marino sat for a few games, but Elway started immediately. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buftex said:

We will probably have a better idea in about 6 or 7 years.

Strongly disagree.  3 games is a strong sample size.  This is the best qb class ever and I don’t think it’s close. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha (+1) 12

14 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Don’t know yet.  Mixed bag from Darnold and Allen.  Baker Mayfield has played one good game.  Rosen played 4 minutes and looked okay.  LJ is at best a gadget player at this point.  We’ll see.  ‘83 was a pretty good class.

Rosen looked okay when he had a clean pocket. When he was under pressure, he didn’t look so hot.

I think the evaluation process was so different then. Blackledge especially, I have been a PSU fan since 1981 and I don't remember him being all that good, he was a good QB in college on a stacked team. I think scouts etc back then valued wins and team success in college more then they do now.

We'll find out in 8 years, but it would be a challenge to be better than 2004 or 1983

Edited by SMAKCruiser

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Rosen looked okay when he had a clean pocket. When he was under pressure, he didn’t look so hot.

Funny how that works. 

• Haha (+1) 1

It’s crazy to compare a modern day QB to guys of the past. Is everyone this good now a days? No, the rules have been tailored towards making the game easier for QBs and thus more entertaining. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

This thread stems from the thread asking if this was already the greatest QB class ever. I was not alive in 1983, and I was wondering how some of the quarterbacks looked right out of the gate. I won't count Kelly because of the whole Houston Gamblers thing. But, how did guys like Ken O'Brien or Todd Blackledge look? Did Elway and Marino look like world-beaters from the start? I know Marino sat for a few games, but Elway started immediately. 

Elway's first few starts were NOT good but then he turned it around. He famously lined up under the guard instead of the center, IIRC.

Blackledge was arguably the best coming out based on his college performance (as Mofo brought up).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Funny how that works. 

Rosen isn’t very mobile and he doesn’t throw well while on the move.

I’m to old to remember.  Over 35 years ago. 🤔

Nothing is grabbing me.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Blackledge's career completion percentage was 48.1. I know they let DBs be more aggressive but that's still brutal

There was a lot less coverage and media scrutiny to digest and games really were the only litmus test but I feel their was a sense of change in the air which is similar  to now.

I remember Elway really stumbling in his first year.  But I also remember him throwing INCREDIBLY hard, fast passes.  He was known for breaking fingers.

Marino went to a Super Bowl in his second year, and everyone thought it would be the first of many.  The kid was amazing.  Very, very quick release.

Eason went in 1985 and got so shell-shocked that he never recovered.

Allen reminds me of Elway.  I don't know why.

• Like (+1) 2

Jesus H Christ.  Settle down.  We are not even 4 weeks into the season and you want to annoint these rookies as HOF's?  Talk to me in about 15 years

Will take years to know and will take a hell of an effort to beat 85, or even the year of Big Ben, Eli and Rivers.

I assume everyone here has watched the 30 for 30 show 'Elway to Marino'. If you haven't, do it right now. Fantastic documentary. That entire first round was special. So many great players like Dickerson and  Matthews etc. and so many great stories behind the scenes. Fascinating that the Cowboys were desperately trying to get Elway, and for a time Bill Walsh considered trading Montana so he could go after Elway.

Even Tony Eason got his team to a Super Bowl despite having a poor career. Ken o Brien was no slouch (25,000 yards over an 11 year career).

Edited by RobbRiddick

Sign in to follow this