Are We The Worst Bills Fans Since The Polian Years?

Rob's House

No. Most on here had no issue with McD except his decision to start Peterman.  

Many including me question Beane. But I’ve posted multiple times, if Allen is a franchise QB and Edmunds is a star, then the picks given up won’t matter. The dead cap is all on Beane and no one can honestly say they would rather have KB instead of Watkins. Star is playing better than I thought but Dareus is still a better player and the cost next year is not that less.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's been a steady decline year over year throughout the entire drought. Even though we made the playoffs, we havent seen that bump yet. We'll be right back to calling for his head after next week because the only thing Bills fans like more than winning, is complaining.

If the Bills look like we did week 1 and 2 then yeah everyone will be sharpening ax's. I'm not accepting that crap going forward.. Now that we have a taste of what may be with the Vikings game there is no reverting back. GB will be a huge gut check game, can this team gel and maintain forward momentum

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's been a steady decline year over year throughout the entire drought. Even though we made the playoffs, we havent seen that bump yet. We'll be right back to calling for his head after next week because the only thing Bills fans like more than winning, is complaining.

I understand the frustration but it seems like many are just plain ignorant about the NFL and Football in general, kind of like fast food, I want a SB and I want it now! Many fail to grasp this organization as a whole was a total failure for almost 17 years in every aspect - coaching, scouting, drafting, and FA and think it can be fixed overnight. And the crying that goes over players let go, I don't see anyone, especially our previous 1st Round picks doing anything making me regret their departure except maybe Hogan and that was a money issue during the DW era. So now Beane and McDermott get crucified trying to rebuild the whole operation during the second year - after breaking the playoff slump in 2017. I think some who post here suffer from mental disorders!

15 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

No. Most on here had no issue with McD except his decision to start Peterman.  

Many including me question Beane. But I’ve posted multiple times, if Allen is a franchise QB and Edmunds is a star, then the picks given up won’t matter. The dead cap is all on Beane and no one can honestly say they would rather have KB instead of Watkins. Star is playing better than I thought but Dareus is still a better player and the cost next year is not that less.

Watkins and Dareus are cancers and only those who purchased jerseys miss them; I want team players who are disciplined and committed to winning! 

23 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Yes. Yes we are.

We gave the guy who broke the streak all of 2 games before declaring him an idiot and a fool and calling for his head. We suck.

Speak for yourself with that "we".

McDermott made a number of very puzzling decisions and so did Beane.  Yay!  We won!  Yay!  Allen had a great game! 

Doesn't mean starting Peterman and giving ourselves alternatives of Allen or Peterman, and failing to take sufficient action on the OL and WR front, weren't still puzzling decisions.

People are too volatile is the issue.

• Like (+1) 1

Most schizophrenic anyhow.  Each week this season so far has seen a 180 reversal in attitude.  Likely just the haters are quiet today.  

I'm declaring this season a success at week three.  We know we have the QB and the coaches; and the process! Just stay healthy and keep learning is all that matters this fall.  

The guy above who already alluded to being ready to complain if they don't repeat that level of performance each week now is clearly negative.  kid's had 2.5 games in his career and his WRs can't catch.   Lol

Edited by sleeby

No, we are not bad fans for expecting the Bills to be a competent NFL franchise.  It's long overdue, and McBeane have made a lot of head scratching moves tbh.

2 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Most schizophrenic anyhow.  Each week this season so far has seen a 180 reversal in attitude.  Likely just the haters are quiet today.  

Do you realize those are different posters?  schizophrenic does not apply...  After a win you hear primarily from one group, after a loss primarily from another.  I suspect this is the case on ALL NFL team message boards as well as social media.  

Edited by PeterDude

3 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

No, we are not bad fans for expecting the Bills to be a competent NFL franchise.  It's long overdue, and McBeane have made a lot of head scratching moves tbh.

Do you realize those are different posters?  schizophrenic does not apply...  After a win you hear primarily from one group, after a loss primarily from another.  I suspect this is the case on ALL NFL team message boards as well as social media.  

I did write that likely the haters are quiet today is all.  Gosh.

30 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Yes. Yes we are.

We gave the guy who broke the streak all of 2 games before declaring him an idiot and a fool and calling for his head. We suck.

I still believe that McDermott is the best coach for this team for the foreseeable future.  Now, I will admit I called for a 44 - 6 beatdown at the hands of the Vikings in another thread too.  Just because we beat the Vikings doesn't mean I think this team is going to win against the packer either.  Show me they can win consistently please.  And no, we're all not the worst Bills fans in recent history, for 20 years I have watched this team flounder year after year with abysmal results.  I have driven to buffalo for home openers, sat in the stadium for that 56 - 7 beatdown at the hands of the PayToilets, and I live 700 miles away.

We're all just a little sick of the losing, and of the garbage product.  

I, for one, can't blame anyone.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sleeby said:

I did write that likely the haters are quiet today is all.  Gosh.

Yes, but you said schizophrenic.  That would imply fans flip flopping every week, severely overreacting off of their base stance, that's not the case.

It's more of a who shows up to the polls issue.

Edited by PeterDude

As individuals, no, we're (mostly) not schitzo but the subject is the fan base as a whole - and that is two very vocal, distinct and opposite personalities week to week.  This fan base is schizophrenic.  No comment on other cities as I don't read their fan forums.

I think OBD just needs to put some antidepressants in the beer lines is all and so clip any extreme emotions right at the root.  

Edited by sleeby

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Speak for yourself with that "we".

McDermott made a number of very puzzling decisions and so did Beane.  Yay!  We won!  Yay!  Allen had a great game! 

Doesn't mean starting Peterman and giving ourselves alternatives of Allen or Peterman, and failing to take sufficient action on the OL and WR front, weren't still puzzling decisions.

People are too volatile is the issue.

I feel like you're in ****ty fan denial. Don't sweat it, you're not alone.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, sleeby said:

As individuals, no, we're (mostly) not schitzo but the subject is the fan base as a whole - and that is two very vocal, distinct and opposite personalities week to week.  This fan base is schizophrenic.  No comment on other cities as I don't read their fan forums.

I thin OBD just needs to put some antidepressants in the beer lines is all and so clip any extreme emotions right at the root.  

I'm wondering if we are the only fan base that has this "issue", I suspect we're not.

18 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

If the Bills look like we did week 1 and 2 then yeah everyone will be sharpening ax's. I'm not accepting that crap going forward.. Now that we have a taste of what may be with the Vikings game there is no reverting back. GB will be a huge gut check game, can this team gel and maintain forward momentum

Prepare for disappointment. This was always going to be a down year. And Im fine with giving McBeane an off year after they got rid of the playoff drought.

Drought gone.

Blue Chip QB Prospect acquired.

One step at a time. They should have 2 more seasons after this one to build and install their plan.

• Like (+1) 2

I remember back when I was 9 years old in 1963. This was my first year attending all the games. Every time the team was down on the scoreboard the whole stadium would sing "Goodbye Saban." As a young boy, I was thinking "what are these so-called fans doing?" We lost a playoff with the Pats for the Eastern Division championship. In '64 we won it all. Yet, they wanted Coach Saban fired. Every time Kemp threw a pick or got sacked they called for Lamonica. I mean, come on man! We were the AFL Champiuons, for Christ sakes.

It's been like that for over 50 years. We aren't the worst fans since the Polian years. We just love to call for the coach's head on a platter every time things don't go well. We love chanting for the backup. We enjoy being the lovable losers... even when we're winning. Over that time, I've learned to deal with it. Why else would I spend hours on TBD? It's just the culture of being a Bills fan. We enjoy questioning every player and each decision made, or not made. I have grown to embrace the culture, good or bad.

Go Bills!

Edited by clayboy54
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, PeterDude said:

I'm wondering if we are the only fan base that has this "issue", I suspect we're not.

It's almost every fanbase. One of the best things I learned from moving away to another NFL market (Atlanta) is that all fans have the same complaints and issues with their teams. Totally changed my perspective on our team. We still suck more than most teams, but I stress about it far less.

Tell you what and you can call me dilusional but if the Bills keep rolling like yesterday and Allen keeps getting better we can win the Division.

I'm a total Homer though.  The last 6qtrs of play should have fans thinking different. No?

If we come out of GB 2-2 that is HUGE.

4 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I feel like you're in ****ty fan denial. Don't sweat it, you're not alone.

???

Meaning that's all hot air and hot takes on your part.  I can't even say it's a crap football argument, because it's not even a football argument.

People who like to study the game, see good and bad and nuance whether the team is winning or losing.

People who love hot takes and get blown around frequently like to wallow in misery and take shots at more balanced folks as "kool aid drinkers" when the team gets blown out, then turn around and take shots at more balanced folks for "worst fan denial" when the team does the blowing out.

I see you're in one half of the bin, never have followed you enough but seem to recall I've seen you on the other side previously.  Don't worry, you're not alone.

Me, I respect people who talk football instead of running around taking shots at their fellow fans

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

???

Meaning that's all hot air and hot takes on your part.  I can't even say it's a crap football argument, because it's not even a football argument.

People who like to study the game, see good and bad and nuance whether the team is winning or losing.

People who love hot takes and get blown around frequently like to wallow in misery and take shots at more balanced folks as "kool aid drinkers" when the team gets blown out, then turn around and take shots at more balanced folks for "worst fan denial" when the team does the blowing out.

I see you're in one half of the bin, never have followed you enough but seem to recall I've seen you on the other side previously.  Don't worry, you're not alone.

Me, I respect people who talk football instead of running around taking shots at their fellow fans

Actually, I don't give that much of a !@#$ either way. If the team wins I'm happy, if they lose I think about what they could do to be better next year.

If I'm busting on you for being in ****ty fan denial I might resent you for your ****ty fandom, or I might be misappropriating a line from Billy Madison because it amuses me. If I rip the F.O. and call a rookie a bust 2 games into his career, I may be bitter and angry, or I may be chuckling to myself as I post it, and then chuckling again when an autistic poster tells me how wrong I am.

Which is it? I won't tell.

Where will it stop? No one knows. Like I said before bring on the moes and hoes. 

I'm like a mystery wrapped in a tortilla.

Edited by Rob's House
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I remember back when I was 9 years old in 1963. This was my first year attending all the games. Every time the team was down on the scoreboard the whole stadium would sing "Goodbye Saban." As a young boy, I was thinking "what are these so-called fans doing?" We lost a playoff with the Pats for the Eastern Division championship. In '64 we won it all. Yet, they wanted Coach Saban fired. Every time Kemp threw a pick or got sacked they called for Lamonica. I mean, come on man! We were the AFL Champiuons, for Christ sakes.

It's been like that for over 50 years. We aren't the worst fans since the Polian years. We just love to call for the coach's head on a platter every time things don't go well. We love chanting for the backup. We enjoy being the lovable losers... even when we're winning. Over that time, I've learned to deal with it. Why else would I spend hours on TBD? It's just the culture of being a Bills fan. We enjoy questioning every player and each decision made, or not made. I have grown to embrace the culture, good or bad.

Go Bills!

I remember the Goodbye Saban song after at the end of the 1963 playoff; you are correct but the rhetoric on this board at times just seems overly emotional and uninformed; I too question almost the 2005 - 2017 coaching changes and draft but always gave them the benefit of the doubt and wanted to be wrong. But I have consistently stated, since 2006, the organization needed an overhaul and losing culture eliminated; that means unloading scouts and fan favorites and I remain supportive of current efforts giving them two more years to rebuild! I am happy for the players, Beane, and McDermott for yesterdays win, players are starting to emerge, holes are being filled, and I think we are headed in the right direction. 

12 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Actually, I don't give that much of a !@#$ either way. If the team wins I'm happy, if they lose I think about what they could do to be better next year.

If I'm busting on you for being in ****ty fan denial I might resent you for your ****ty fandom, or I might be misappropriating a line from Billy Madison because it amuses me. If I rip the F.O. and call a rookie a bust 2 games into his career, I may be bitter and angry, or I may be chuckling to myself as I post it, and then chuckling again when an autistic poster tells me how wrong I am.

Which is it? I won't tell.

Where will it stop? No one knows. Like I said before bring on the moes and hoes. 

I'm like a mystery wrapped in a tortilla.

Woooookay!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

Yes. Yes we are.

Naw, just a panic stricken bunch quick to see the end of the season any time something doesn't go right. Many are now thinking the win over Minnesota will now make us a 1-15 team instead of joining the browns & lions in the winless season club.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

just like teams that are getting better need to "learn how to win," Bills fans will need to learn how to win.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

Yes. Yes we are.

I know what you mean...the negativity is kid of a drag....and as time passes, seeing people bashing the Super Bowl era teams is pretty infuriating...but I also understand where it comes from.  We are coming off two decades of really bad to mediocre football.  After a while, the only thing to talk about is the degree of bad, what mistakes the team is making, and theories (some solid, some half-baked) on how to make things better.  There isn't a lot to celebrate...so the fans turn sour.  But, I think the fact that there are still so many, despite it all, just goes to show how great the fans really are. For a long time, the fan-base (even the !@#$-tards among us) have been the best thing about the franchise.  They have deserved more than they have been getting...

I like McDermott, and I will always defend his decision to start Peterman last year, and this year.  Last year, people seem to forget, that the offense under Tyrod was absolutely anemic...perhaps McDermott mis-read how ready Peterman was, but he was absolutely justified in trying to give his team some sort of spark.   This year, by all measures, Peterman "won" whatever QB competition there was during the pre-season.  I gurantee, 2/3 of NFL coaches, in the same position, would have done the same thing.

My biggest complaints revolve around some (not all) of Beanes' personnel decisions.  I think trading McCarron was a really cocky, and kinda dumb move.  It's fantastic that we may have found (fingers crossed) our QB of the future, but if something happens to him, they just can't go back to Peterman...and as far as I know, they still haven't done anything to address this issue. But I think they are getting a little too cute with some of the trades and creating holes they didn't necessarily have to create. 

McDermott is on solid ground as far as I am concerned.  After all the BS of the first two weeks, I give him as much credit as anyone for keeping this team focused enough to pull off that win yesterday. 

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1