Shady and the Running Backs moving forward

SCBills

Anyone else think we should use McCoy like the Saints use Kamara?   

I loved the downhill running we saw from Ivory/Murphy.  Constantly getting 3-4 yards per carry, and the running game will only open up more when teams can’t stack the box on Allen.  

Shady is still a weapon, but I think it might be an interesting thought to put him more as a do-it-all runner/receiver to give Josh another passing weapon. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I loved the downhill running we saw from Ivory/Murphy.  Constantly getting 3-4 yards per carry, and the running game will only open up more when teams can’t stack the box on Allen.  

Shady is still a weapon, but I think it might be an interesting thought to put him more as a do-it-all runner/receiver to give Josh another passing weapon. 

Keep in mind Ivory is averaged 2.8 ypc yesterday, which is tough to do if you're consistently getting 3-4 ypc.

I do know what I think you mean, though, which is that Ivory was at least making positive yardage consistently.    It's not a thing to love though.  I have trouble seeing what run blocking is doing in real time on televised footage, but Imma bet that the all-22 is going to show me what it showed last week:  the run blocking sucks.  There are no holes being opened. 

The difference between Ivory and Shady is that Shady does what top backs do - hesitates just a bit and waits for his blockers to open holes.  Only the holes never open.

Meanwhile Ivory plunges right in full throttle and grinds out the yards with his legs, which is why -1 or no gain for Shady becomes 1-3 yds for Ivory.

The real issue is to try to fix the run blocking.  It's only partly guys getting beat at the point of attack, there seems to be a lot of confusion about blocking assignments.

It's also in the first two games been totally ineffective cut blocking.  I saw at least 2 ineffective cut blocks yesterday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was thinking about this after the game yesterday. I feel like a committee approach would be the most effective option. I love Shady's ability to create plays out of nothing. But I feel like he also does the opposite. He'll create nothing or take a loss, when there are 3-4 yards to be had. 2nd and 7 vs 2nd and 12 is enormous. Ivory and Murphy are pretty straight ahead runners and I don't remember too many times they took losses, if any. Shady should still receive the bulk of the carries, but I'd like to see more time for the other guys. Or have a 2 rb package, RPO type package, where you can pound with Ivory or quick screen to Shady. So.... yes kind of how Saints use Kamara / Ingram lol.. 

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

line him up wide more often.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, R Y G A R said:

I was thinking about this after the game yesterday. I feel like a committee approach would be the most effective option. I love Shady's ability to create plays out of nothing. But I feel like he also does the opposite. He'll create nothing or take a loss, when there are 3-4 yards to be had. 2nd and 7 vs 2nd and 12 is enormous. Ivory and Murphy are pretty straight ahead runners and I don't remember too many times they took losses, if any. Shady should still receive the bulk of the carries, but I'd like to see more time for the other guys. Or have a 2 rb package, RPO type package, where you can pound with Ivory or quick screen to Shady. So.... yes kind of how Saints use Kamara / Ingram lol.. 

i remember when back in the sb days with thurman they used to run what i believed were called counter tre's? pull the center, g ,rt and te all to one side then hand off or pitch out in that direction. it always seemed to be a 10 yd. play.

they have to do some pulling plays and quit trying to run it up the gut, cause like hapless said, shady waits that 1/2 second and if there ain't no hole it's done.

I've been saying this since the beginning of the year. Shady has and NEVER WILL BE a between the tackles / every down running back. Whenever he does well its on sweeps / screens / slot crossing routes or anything that gets him the ball in space. He has NEVER been a ground and pound except once in a blue moon in order to keep a defense honest. I have NEVER understood why Dabol kept on "scripting" our first three plays as "shady up the middle" X 2 + "third and long pass" = "3 and out". It was especially confounding once we signed Chris Ivory and Marcus Murphy decided to show up. Here we have two backs that exceed at Shady's weekness and instead of USING them up the middle we just keep pounding shady instead. When Shady was injured last game my brother and I wooped for joy. Finally Dabol was going to be forced to use his RB's as they were meant to be used. 

Hopefully if / when Shady comes back he will realize that he has a stable of running backs that each have a "unique set of skills" and use them appropriately. It's okay to throw in a "trick" play now and then but throwing Shady at a 9 man box over and over isn't a trick. Its idiocy. 

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Shady + 4th round pick

for

Le'Veon + 6th round pick

Keep shady. Just start using him appropriately.  

5 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I noticed a few times Daboll had Murphy out there at the same time as Ivory. Would love to see that continue only with Shady and Ivory. Would give the option to motion Shady out wide as well to help with the WR issues on this team.

Actually I would rather it with Shady / Murphy. I've been calling for two HB sets since week 1 and IMO Murphy is better than Ivory to this point. 

3 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I noticed a few times Daboll had Murphy out there at the same time as Ivory. Would love to see that continue only with Shady and Ivory. Would give the option to motion Shady out wide as well to help with the WR issues on this team.

the 2 back set is an absolute must.  obviously one out wide here and there but mainly 2 back sets will be like , go ahead and pick your poison.  they can do so many things out of that formation,  i get chills thinking about it.

Id rather gain two with this offense than negative 3 on a bounce out from Mccoy.

The shorter the 3rd down the more options we have to convert. 

7 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

This is a really good idea. It would def keep defenses on their toes and help with the quick passing attack.

3 minutes ago, Bills4Ever4Life said:

I've been saying this since the beginning of the year. Shady has and NEVER WILL BE a between the tackles / every down running back. Whenever he does well its on sweeps / screens / slot crossing routes or anything that gets him the ball in space. He has NEVER been a ground and pound except once in a blue moon in order to keep a defense honest. I have NEVER understood why Dabol kept on "scripting" our first three plays as "shady up the middle" X 2 + "third and long pass" = "3 and out". It was especially confounding once we signed Chris Ivory and Marcus Murphy decided to show up. Here we have two backs that exceed at Shady's weekness and instead of USING them up the middle we just keep pounding shady instead. When Shady was injured last game my brother and I wooped for joy. Finally Dabol was going to be forced to use his RB's as they were meant to be used. 

Hopefully if / when Shady comes back he will realize that he has a stable of running backs that each have a "unique set of skills" and use them appropriately. It's okay to throw in a "trick" play now and then but throwing Shady at a 9 man box over and over isn't a trick. Its idiocy. 

Actually I would rather it with Shady / Murphy. I've been calling for two HB sets since week 1 and IMO Murphy is better than Ivory to this point. 

i like the shady/ivory combo.  they are both great at catching anywhere.

1 minute ago, Bills4Ever4Life said:

I would view Shady and Ivory more of a compliment to each other due to one running with power and the other more finesse. Keepa a defense off balance. Murphy can run either style imo and would be a good guy to sub in for either. Plus having some return duties/special team responsibilities I'd be more leery of Murphy getting burned out late in games.

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Keep in mind Ivory is averaged 2.8 ypc yesterday, which is tough to do if you're consistently getting 3-4 ypc.

I do know what I think you mean, though, which is that Ivory was at least making positive yardage consistently.    It's not a thing to love though.  I have trouble seeing what run blocking is doing in real time on televised footage, but Imma bet that the all-22 is going to show me what it showed last week:  the run blocking sucks.  There are no holes being opened. 

The difference between Ivory and Shady is that Shady does what top backs do - hesitates just a bit and waits for his blockers to open holes.  Only the holes never open.

Meanwhile Ivory plunges right in full throttle and grinds out the yards with his legs, which is why -1 or no gain for Shady becomes 1-3 yds for Ivory.

The real issue is to try to fix the run blocking.  It's only partly guys getting beat at the point of attack, there seems to be a lot of confusion about blocking assignments.

It's also in the first two games been totally ineffective cut blocking.  I saw at least 2 ineffective cut blocks yesterday.

the bolded is what ive been saying for a couple week now. its sucks that our line is so bad at run blocking that having a slow one cut runner is more conducive to consistent positive yds than feeding our perennial top 5 back.....

also why I think lev bell is a freaking FOOL. have fun with all that money in a place like indy or somewhere else that can pay you. his style of running will get him stuffed over and over and over again on a bad team with a bad line.

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

I would view Shady and Ivory more of a compliment to each other due to one running with power and the other more finesse. Keepa a defense off balance. Murphy can run either style imo and would be a good guy to sub in for either. Plus having some return duties/special team responsibilities I'd be more leery of Murphy getting burned out late in games.

You make a good point. They just need to sub Murphy in more often. The kid really will be our future. He is 3 years younger than both Ivory and Shady and he needs the ball more. I would be okay if they just kept on rotating all three in or focused on one or two of them depending on the game plan each week (like the patriots do).

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Erm.  I haven't watched him exhaustively, but my impression is that Bell is the same general type of runner as Shady - a skills guy who thrives behind decent to good blocking.

Which we ain't got.

Bell is way better than Shady IMO.  Shady is a fringe top 10 back in talent, Bell is a top 3 if not #1.  Maybe that's splitting hairs in some people's opinion, but not mine.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bell is way better than Shady IMO.  Shady is a fringe top 10 back in talent, Bell is a top 3 if not #1.  Maybe that's splitting hairs in some people's opinion, but not mine.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I'm puzzled to how you'd justify it with football arguments.

In any event, the point remains that whether or not you think one is better than the other, they are both skills backs who thrive behind competent run blocking.

Which we ain't got.

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He had a few runs that were blown up, but he was able to get back to the LOS.  I felt that was important because we look terrible when we're behind the sticks.  O-line had a few solid ones, but they really have to limit the negative ones. 

Ivory made a few plays in the passing game, as they attacked the man coverage with lots of pre-snap motion and getting backs in 1x1s on the outside.  But in all he grabbed us the few first downs in the 2nd half we needed in this one to ice the game.  They knew we were running and we were still able to execute fairly well.  

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're welcome to your opinion, but I'm puzzled to how you'd justify it with football arguments.

Bell

Elliott

Gurley

David Johnson

Kamara

Fournette

Melvin Gordon

Barkley

Kareem Hunt

Joe Mixon

McCaffery

That's 11 names all arguably better than Shady, the top 5 clearly better than him IMO.  That's not including names like Devonta Freeman, Jordan Howard, Dalvin Cook who are closer to Shady than some here would be willing to admit.

24 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Ivory looked solid this week.  I wouldn't take him out.  We also seemed to execute sweeps a lot better when we had dimarco in.  He only featured on a few plays, but he seemed solid.  We wanted to attack boundaries in this one.

I really liked dabolls game plan in this one.  Dimarco won't feature in every week, and it really reminds me of the way NE game plans.  They will always come in with a plan that changes week to week, and focuses on the specific matchup.  

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He had a few runs that were blown up, but he was able to get back to the LOS.  I felt that was important because we look terrible when we're behind the sticks.  O-line had a few solid ones, but they really have to limit the negative ones. 

Ivory made a few plays in the passing game, as they attacked the man coverage with lots of pre-snap motion and getting backs in 1x1s on the outside.  But in all he grabbed us the few first downs in the 2nd half we needed in this one to ice the game.  They knew we were running and we were still able to execute fairly well.  

I'll wait until the all-22, but I'll be surprised if I agree that the O-line had a few solid ones.

If you're meaning this drive, color me under-impressed by 12 yards on 5 carries (setting aside the false start).  Do that against a team that isn't imploding and the result is a comeback against us.

image.thumb.png.ce1d54dac9d0d90a6b8669cf0a09c89e.png

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good analysis. What you didn't say but was the real point of what you wrote is that when the holes are there, Shady hits home runs and Ivery hits singles and doubles.  

Loved Shady's attitude on the sideline. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bell

Elliott

Gurley

David Johnson

Kamara

Fournette

Melvin Gordon

Barkley

Kareem Hunt

Joe Mixon

McCaffery

That's 11 names all arguably better than Shady, the top 5 clearly better than him IMO.  That's not including names like Devonta Freeman, Jordan Howard, Dalvin Cook who are closer to Shady than some here would be willing to admit.

By what criterion, other than "I listed them"?  That's what I mean by "football argument".  Don't just list me a bunch of names, dole some gouge on your criteria and why you feel they're better

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll wait until the all-22, but I'll be surprised if I agree that the O-line had a few solid ones.

If you're meaning this drive, color me under-impressed by 12 yards on 5 carries (setting aside the false start).  Do that against a team that isn't imploding and the result is a comeback against us.

image.thumb.png.ce1d54dac9d0d90a6b8669cf0a09c89e.png

Lol good point - the 2nd half was kind of a blur and i was cooking burgers for some of it and trying to watch on my ipad.  

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

By what criterion, other than "I listed them"?  That's what I mean by "football argument".  Don't just list me a bunch of names, dole some gouge on your criteria and why you feel they're better

I would agree with the list.  There are many factors, but mainly age and talent.

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Good analysis. What you didn't say but was the real point of what you wrote is that when the holes are there, Shady hits home runs and Ivery hits singles and doubles.  

Loved Shady's attitude on the sideline. 

Oh, heck, sometimes even when the holes aren't there.  Shady had a nice 18 yd scamper he created for himself by bouncing outside, called back by a pretty ticky-tack holding call on Miller.   Though we got to give Ivory props for his 55 yd pass play yesterday.  That was a Home Run.

Aside: The more time I spend watching OL run blocking, the more I'm totally puzzled by when and why refs decide to call OL holding.  I saw one play with 2 blatant holds - defenders spun around and hauled to the ground from behind - and a clear face mask.  No call.

3 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

I would agree with the list.  There are many factors, but mainly age and talent.

Saying "talent" is not a football argument.  It simply calls into question what is the evaluation criteria you are using to make that statement?

I'm sorry, putting a bunch of names on a list and saying "they're better, cuz, talent" is weak sauce.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bell

Elliott

Gurley

David Johnson

Kamara

Fournette

Melvin Gordon

Barkley

Kareem Hunt

Joe Mixon

McCaffery

so after the last 2 seasons of ranking 5th and 4th in scrimmage yds amongst backs he's all of a sudden worse than 11 guys after a short 2 games behind one of the worst lines in the nfl?

this is complete garbage. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have been saying for a while now to use Shady that way (as mentioned in original post). AND use some sets with both him and Ivory present, keep the defenses guessing!

Daboll actually used Ivory yesterday exactly as we suggest he'd use Shady so good progress. In the fist half. Second was more straight ahead pounding, and that what was needed.

I really loved the playcalling in the first half. At last! And it showed "zip it" type of plays is better suited for Allen's skills and mindset than "cute" plays. It was a good idea to use'em but now Daboll should know better how to use his star QB to cater to his strong points and limit his weaknesses.

And since TEs are plentiful and RBs a strength, use more sets as the Bears are doing. Not rocket science!

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, heck, sometimes even when the holes aren't there.  Shady had a nice 18 yd scamper he created for himself by bouncing outside, called back by a pretty ticky-tack holding call on Miller.   Though we got to give Ivory props for his 55 yd pass play yesterday.  That was a Home Run.

Aside: The more time I spend watching OL run blocking, the more I'm totally puzzled by when and why refs decide to call OL holding.  I saw one play with 2 blatant holds - defenders spun around and hauled to the ground from behind - and a clear face mask.  No call.

Saying "talent" is not a football argument.  It simply calls into question what is the evaluation criteria you are using to make that statement?

I'm sorry, putting a bunch of names on a list and saying "they're better, cuz, talent" is weak sauce.

Ivory made a nice play to get open on a scramble drill.  Our receivers need to improve on that aspect to help allen.

17 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

so after the last 2 seasons of ranking 5th and 4th in scrimmage yds amongst backs he's all of a sudden worse than 11 guys after a short 2 games behind one of the worst lines in the nfl?

this is complete garbage. 

That's fine.  You are entitled to your opinion.  I'm entitled to mine.  History says take a ~24 year old RB who has shown success in the league over a 30 year old one.  Is it the line or is it Shady reaching the point where he's slowing down in his career? It will be tough to get an accurate read on that this year.

Just now, Jerome007 said:

I have been saying for a while now to use Shady that way (as mentioned in original post). AND use some sets with both him and Ivory present, keep the defenses guessing!

Daboll actually used Ivory yesterday exactly as we suggest he'd use Shady so good progress. In the fist half. Second was more straight ahead pounding, and that what was needed.

I really loved the playcalling in the first half. At last! And it showed "zip it" type of plays is better suited for Allen's skills and mindset than "cute" plays. It was a good idea to use'em but now Daboll should know better how to use his star QB to cater to his strong points and limit his weaknesses.

And since TEs are plentiful and RBs a strength, use more sets as the Bears are doing. Not rocket science!

Yeah - i love that pistol set with backs on both sides and someone like ivory behind allen.  So many ways to attack with it.  If they load up heavy in the box you can motion shady wide and create a mismatch.  You can run triple option, straight speed option, RPOs, whatever you want really.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree, and that's a good reason to use Shady in the passing game.

One more reason: Shady has better hands than our #1 WR.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

Bell wants mega bucks----the highest paid running back in the NFL----the Bills are still working their way out of cap problems.

I've got some oceanfront property here in Columbus to sell you....

They'll have the second most cap room in the league next season and 3 key expensive positions (QB / LT / CB) on very cheap deals.  Need to add talent at some point.