Opposing defenses will adjust to Allen going forward

TigerJ

I think what the OP stated was very obvious.  I mean obviously they will be able to gameplan better.  He does have some tendencies that none of us have probably hit on.  These guys are professionals though and they will find things.  The good thing about Josh Allen is he is great on the pocket.  He needs to continue to learn to go through his professions and get the ball put quick. As long as he continues to do that it will be hard to limit his production 

11 hours ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

Here's the silver lining with Josh...and this will keep a DC up at night:

He has all the same mobility gifts that made Tyrod sometimes dangerous, and then he'll kill you with his arm, which Tyrod couldn't do.  Give him time. He's gonna be a DC 's nightmare

the biggest thing is that , the most important thing to him is winning. finally we get someone who will not accept losing if there's anything he has to say/do about it.

12 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

So far, I'm not seeing many rookie tendencies.  He uses the whole field, has no favorite receiver, his touch passes improve every week and it's just a matter of time before he starts to hit the home run ball.  The greatest weakness is he doesn't have experience and may be susceptible to "new" defenses. 

Dn1MoDQXcAUplRD.jpg

Hopefully this pass distribution is an anomaly and not an attempt to avoid throwing to his left since he's still working on his mechanics when throwing that way, but we'll see. If this becomes a trend, defenses will definitely take notice.

Edit: I say this as one of the people that's been high on Allen as a draft prospect since his junior year. I love him and definitely love what I saw this week.

Edited by DCOrange

44 minutes ago, mattynh said:

The problem is not fantasy football it is fantasy of the mind by blinded by love homers.  I was responded to a comment that said Josh Allen chewed up and spit out the Viking defense.  Like I said Josh Allen played great against a great defense and made some outstanding individual plays.   I think we as fans have good reason today to be very optimistic in what we have with Allen.  But I just dont agree that Josh Allen chewed up and spit out the Vikings defense, they scored one TD that was not on a short field.  Yes the Bills went conservative in the second half I get that.  But the reality is they scored more than half their points on short fields given to him by the defense.   

You want some critical analysis, consider that the Bills and Vikings gained the same amount of yards in the game, 292.   Which unit really chewed up and spit out the other?  Its the Bills defense that chewed up and spit out the Vikings offense, that was the key to the game.

No, he chewed up the Vikes' defense and the Bills dominated them.  Forget the box score since the Bills played prevent and allowed the Vikes to gain yards in the 2nd half at the expense of chewing up the clock and played conservatively on offense to do the same.  The most important thing is points scored and points allowed.

12 hours ago, TigerJ said:

When you have a rookie QB, the opposing team does not know what to expect in his first few games.  A few more games into the season and opposing defensive coordinators are going to begin to have more extensive game film to study.  That will enable them to game plan more specifically to counter his skill set.  I'm thrilled with what Josh Allen is doing and I am very optimistic for the future, but as we move deeper into the season, that chess game thing is going to happen with respect to game planning.

Thing is, Minnesota had a top 10 defense last year, this wasn't the Browns defense or some other bottom feeder, the Vikes are a good team. My concern is how much Allen was asked to do, he was asked to be excellent and I think that's unsustainable, nobody can do that week in, week out. Nobody.

12 hours ago, mattynh said:

He looked great against a great defense but 196 yards is not chewed up and spit out.  He took advantage of the opportunities that were given to him by the defense and made some nice individual plays.      

The bills basically stopped passing in the second half 

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

While all that's true, Allen also will learn more too.  I think what you say is true when you have a QB with limited skills, i.e. Fitz, but someone with the physical skills like Allen learning what he does doesn't help as much.

We have to hope that Allen continues to learn, too.   At some point every QB stops learning and improving.  For most it comes fairly early in their pro careers.  For a few, it comes much later, which is why they're considered great.

32 minutes ago, mannc said:

Ahhh....The inevitable “cold bucket of water” post. Love it.  Please tell us why it’s important to “be aware” of this, “moving forward”.  More  importantly, why does it make Bills fans happy to post this stuff?

You’re not serious, are you?  Did you watch the game, or just look at the box score on ESPN.com?  Almost every one of the Vikings yards came in garbage time, after the Bills had accumulated a 27-point lead and were literally giving Cousins short passes to the middle of the field.  And for the same reason, the Bills’ offense went one-dimensional the entire second half.

Actually,  27-0 at the beginning of the third quarter is not an insurmountable lead for an offensively talented team like the Vikings.  I expected the Vikings to come out in the third quarter and at least make it a game, and I was surprised that they never did.  If they had scored a couple of TDs early in the third quarter, then the narrative for the remainder of the second half changes dramatically.

58 minutes ago, mattynh said:

But I just dont agree that Josh Allen chewed up and spit out the Vikings defense, they scored one TD that was not on a short field.  Yes the Bills went conservative in the second half I get that.  But the reality is they scored more than half their points on short fields given to him by the defense.

You want some critical analysis, consider that the Bills and Vikings gained the same amount of yards in the game, 292.   Which unit really chewed up and spit out the other?  Its the Bills defense that chewed up and spit out the Vikings offense, that was the key to the game.

The kid put the team on his back and converted on the opportunities given him. The bomb to Foster was gorgeous and there were multiple key drops by receivers, yet the yards / attempt were a gaudy 8.9. Yeah, the D was great, but I think people are correct in viewing this as a leader taking control of a team and not squandering the standout performance of one unit. We've seen that so many times in the last 20 years it's refreshing to see the team convert and lock down the game essentially by halftime. Therefore, we get no fun stats in the second half except a "W."

12 hours ago, TigerJ said:

When you have a rookie QB, the opposing team does not know what to expect in his first few games.  A few more games into the season and opposing defensive coordinators are going to begin to have more extensive game film to study.  That will enable them to game plan more specifically to counter his skill set.  I'm thrilled with what Josh Allen is doing and I am very optimistic for the future, but as we move deeper into the season, that chess game thing is going to happen with respect to game planning.

and then our coaches make adjustments to the defense...it's how football works

12 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

So far, I'm not seeing many rookie tendencies.  He uses the whole field, has no favorite receiver, his touch passes improve every week and it's just a matter of time before he starts to hit the home run ball.  The greatest weakness is he doesn't have experience and may be susceptible to "new" defenses. 

Really? He takes too many sacks and turns the ball over. He fumbled 3X yesterday but no one acknowledges because they were all recovered. He has plenty of rookie tendencies but he also has tremendous physical tools. Love what I see from him so far.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Allen will have games where he struggles.  So will Mahomes.  So will Mayfiled.  Darnold already has.  So has Watson.  It is what young QBs do.  The key is how they handle that and how they learn from such experiences.  Allen strikes me as the type who will handle adversity.

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Really? He takes too many sacks and turns the ball over. He fumbled 3X yesterday but no one acknowledges because they were all recovered. He has plenty of rookie tendencies but he also has tremendous physical tools. Love what I see from him so far.

He got sacked just 3 times and fumbled twice (one of his "fumbles" was really an incomplete forward pass and I think it was a bad snap on one of the others) yesterday.  In just his 2nd full start.

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Are you kidding? The WR wrap around fumble was on the WR, not his fault. Bottom line is QBs handle the ball more than any other player, Favre holds the record for most turnovers, it's the nature of the beast. Your expectations are WAY too high, Allen was responsible for 3 TDs (should have been 4), that equals 48 TDs over a 16 game season, no QB can maintain that, nobody. If you aren't happy now, you do not understand football, AT ALL.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

He got sacked just 3 times and fumbled twice (one of his "fumbles" was really an incomplete forward pass and I think it was a bad snap on one of the others) yesterday.  In just his 2nd full start.

True, my bad. Forgot that awful call, I was just looking at the stat sheet.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Are you kidding? The WR wrap around fumble was on the WR, not his fault. Bottom line is QBs handle the ball more than any other player, Favre holds the record for most turnovers, it's the nature of the beast. Your expectations are WAY too high, Allen was responsible for 3 TDs (should have been 4), that equals 48 TDs over a 16 game season, no QB can maintain that, nobody. If you aren't happy now, you do not understand football, AT ALL.

No they're not, their right where they should be. Guess you missed the part where I said I love what I see so far. We're talking tendencies right? 

Plenty happy and know plenty football BTW:lol:

Edited by billsbackto81