Opposing defenses will adjust to Allen going forward

TigerJ

When you have a rookie QB, the opposing team does not know what to expect in his first few games.  A few more games into the season and opposing defensive coordinators are going to begin to have more extensive game film to study.  That will enable them to game plan more specifically to counter his skill set.  I'm thrilled with what Josh Allen is doing and I am very optimistic for the future, but as we move deeper into the season, that chess game thing is going to happen with respect to game planning.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 2

So far, I'm not seeing many rookie tendencies.  He uses the whole field, has no favorite receiver, his touch passes improve every week and it's just a matter of time before he starts to hit the home run ball.  The greatest weakness is he doesn't have experience and may be susceptible to "new" defenses. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

While all that's true, Allen also will learn more too.  I think what you say is true when you have a QB with limited skills, i.e. Fitz, but someone with the physical skills like Allen learning what he does doesn't help as much.

Your post is exactly correct. There is 18 years of tape on Tom Brady.  Doesn't matter. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

His athletic ability makes defending him a problem.  He looks like a more athletic young Roethlisberger.  Most likely blitz and have him make quick decisions.  The ability to recognize the blitz and attack it will be Allen next step.  He does that we found ourselves our Qb for 15 years.

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

When you have a rookie QB, the opposing team does not know what to expect in his first few games.  A few more games into the season and opposing defensive coordinators are going to begin to have more extensive game film to study.  That will enable them to game plan more specifically to counter his skill set.  I'm thrilled with what Josh Allen is doing and I am very optimistic for the future, but as we move deeper into the season, that chess game thing is going to happen with respect to game planning.

So they are gonna gameplan to stop a guy that can throw it to any spot and run for first downs when needed ? 

Cool story 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

So far, I'm not seeing many rookie tendencies.  He uses the whole field, has no favorite receiver, his touch passes improve every week and it's just a matter of time before he starts to hit the home run ball.  The greatest weakness is he doesn't have experience and may be susceptible to "new" defenses. 

This is exactly what I was thinking. The only tendency i can see is not giving up, i.e running, and running when three guys are on you. They showed a graphic of him uaing all most all of the receivers. As far as I can tell he hasnt shown a specific liking to an individual or collection of few plays either. 

5 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

just a reminder. this was the very highly regarded vikings defense allen chewed up and spit out. 

He looked great against a great defense but 196 yards is not chewed up and spit out.  He took advantage of the opportunities that were given to him by the defense and made some nice individual plays.      

Just now, mattynh said:

He looked great against a great defense but 196 yards is not chewed up and spit out.  He took advantage of the opportunities that were given to him by the defense and made some nice individual plays.      

He had about 100 yards of dropped passes, another TD, and they went into a shell in the 2nd half protecting the lead.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Defenses will have to be extremely disciplined in their coverages because the play is never truly over when he has the ball in his hand. You saw that on the 55 yard Ivory reception. The defenders abandoned him because QBs don't just casually throw back across their body while runningwith perfect precision like that. Besides that it is really hard to defend a QB that can hit any level of the field who also has mobility and is tough to bring down. Once we add some real receivers our offense will be that much harder to defend.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mattynh said:

Leaped over. Ran over passed over. Flew over.  Chewed up and spit out.  

• Like (+1) 4

56 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

While all that's true, Allen also will learn more too.  I think what you say is true when you have a QB with limited skills, i.e. Fitz, but someone with the physical skills like Allen learning what he does doesn't help as much.

I agree.  There is going to be something of a race going on.  Josh Allen is going to be learning and getting better, and defensive coordinators are going to be learning about him and trying to contain him.  I'm not down on him at all, and I'm excited about the future.  It is the combination of learning (Allen and opposing DCs)  that is going to make the next several weeks interesting and exciting.  I also agree about Allen's skill set.  Opposing DCs were sometimes successful at game planning for Tyrod because his skill set was somewhat narrowly defined.  Allen looks like a far more complete QB.  That will hopefully make the game planning challenge for opposing DCs a whole lot tougher.

Edited by TigerJ