Opposing defenses will adjust to Allen going forward

TigerJ

21 hours ago, K-9 said:

This will be a challenge for Daboll more so than for Allen, imo. 

Exactly - though if we see more play calls like the Croom TD pass with the pump fake to Ivory in the flat, I think it will create a much more difficult game to plan for. It's one thing to recognize the coverage. But route options that give Allen multiple looks, or even planned play calls like the pump fake LB read to Croom in the end zone, will be there every week as long as the play call comes in from the sideline. 

I liked the play calling from Daboll yesterday overall - I've also almost forgotten what it's like to have an actual passing game.

What adjustment are they going to make

Blitz him more?  They are doing that

Keep him in the pocket and "make him be a qb"  oh god PLEASE do that

This is why you draft a Josh Allen......he can sit in the pocket and hit every part of the field with a flick of his wrist.....

or

He can scoot for a 1st down with ease....its not Tyrod Taylor ease....but Tyrod could not sit in the pocket and fire away the way Josh does either

I think it is important to note that he is doing this with NO running game to speak of.......

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is why you draft a Josh Allen......he can sit in the pocket and hit every part of the field with a flick of his wrist.....

or

He can scoot for a 1st down with ease....its not Tyrod Taylor ease....but Tyrod could not sit in the pocket and fire away the way Josh does either

I think it is important to note that he is doing this with NO running game to speak of.......

I think we already saw one of the adjustments Vikings made in the second half in playing cover two with various five man delayed blitz packages. This is what I'd do against Allen. We don't really have an imposing running game, so no need for defenses to keep an extra safety in the box. Plus, Allen has shown some weakness in diagnosing coverage, extra rushers, and being consistently accurate. You make him beat you by finding receivers in the gaps for 5--7 gains all the way up the field.   

Edited by VW82

21 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

So far, I'm not seeing many rookie tendencies.  He uses the whole field, has no favorite receiver, his touch passes improve every week and it's just a matter of time before he starts to hit the home run ball.  The greatest weakness is he doesn't have experience and may be susceptible to "new" defenses. 

In order to have a favorite he'd need a consistent one and that's a huge problem.  It kinda works out for him though because opposing teams can't highlight who he likes to throw to.  We could run the same play 10 times and he could throw it to a different player every time.  That's just how inconsistent our guys are.  They need to get a lot better and help him out a lot more.

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Dn1MoDQXcAUplRD.jpg

Hopefully this pass distribution is an anomaly and not an attempt to avoid throwing to his left since he's still working on his mechanics when throwing that way, but we'll see. If this becomes a trend, defenses will definitely take notice.

Edit: I say this as one of the people that's been high on Allen as a draft prospect since his junior year. I love him and definitely love what I saw this week.

They may have seen something as a weakness on that side they wanted to attack.

jim

9 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I think we already saw one of the adjustments Vikings made in the second half in playing cover two with various five man delayed blitz packages. This is what I'd do against Allen. We don't really have an imposing running game, so no need for defenses to keep an extra safety in the box. Plus, Allen has shown some weakness in diagnosing coverage, extra rushers, and being consistently accurate. You make him beat you by finding receivers in the gaps for 5--7 gains all the way up the field.   

Or this OL can get its crap together and start run blocking......

No excuse for the run blocking to be this bad

And we took the foot off the gas yesterday in the 2nd half the vikings didnt stop Josh Allen

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, VW82 said:

He only attempted 4 passes in the second half and completed all four - including one down the middle for 17 yards. Not sure what the Minnesota "adjustments" accomplished....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

or

One adjustment I think we'll see sooner than later is designating a spy. Allen hurts defenses with his legs and teams need to account for that, especially when they are playing man coverage. 

23 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

So far, I'm not seeing many rookie tendencies.  He uses the whole field, has no favorite receiver, his touch passes improve every week and it's just a matter of time before he starts to hit the home run ball.  The greatest weakness is he doesn't have experience and may be susceptible to "new" defenses. 

Well said !

On top of that the kid is a freak running the ball ! Quick, agile and physical . They'll definitely make adjustments, I just don't think it matters!

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

or

Tyrod's scooting is more limited in that he can only run around defenders. Allen can run through them or jump over them if he feels so inclined.

23 hours ago, TigerJ said:

When you have a rookie QB, the opposing team does not know what to expect in his first few games.  A few more games into the season and opposing defensive coordinators are going to begin to have more extensive game film to study.  That will enable them to game plan more specifically to counter his skill set.  I'm thrilled with what Josh Allen is doing and I am very optimistic for the future, but as we move deeper into the season, that chess game thing is going to happen with respect to game planning.

I hope they adjust and it causes them to back off to protect against his arm and we can get the running game really going. 

The last 2 years with TT and Peterman we could not get the D to back off by completing passes and it clogged up the running lanes.  Yesterday - they got the Vikings D to back off into 2 deep safeties giving more running lanes for Ivory.  

That is a tough team to run on and the adjustments to JA’s arm started to allow better run fits and that will hopefully continue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think Josh will regress. He may still have a few bad games, but I just don't see it. Every rookie QB leaves more game tape for DC's to study as they progress and most of them still get better over time. I see no reason why Allen should be an exception.