Opposing defenses will adjust to Allen going forward

TigerJ

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

When you have a rookie QB, the opposing team does not know what to expect in his first few games.  A few more games into the season and opposing defensive coordinators are going to begin to have more extensive game film to study.  That will enable them to game plan more specifically to counter his skill set.  I'm thrilled with what Josh Allen is doing and I am very optimistic for the future, but as we move deeper into the season, that chess game thing is going to happen with respect to game planning.

So.....don’t buy Super Bowl tickets?  Phew, thanks for keeping me in check. 

5 minutes ago, transient said:

This is one of those stats not telling the whole story scenarios. Of the 196 yds he had ~180 yds in the first half before they went conservative and ran the ball to sit on the lead. He also had some huge drops by Foster, Benjamin, and Clay that would potentially have added another 100 yds and 3 passing TDs (though he rushed for a TD after the Clay drop). 

Yup.  Should have been 19 for 22 for 300 yards, 3 TD's and no INT's along with 39 yards rushing and a TD.

2 hours ago, BmarvB said:

Yes it was despite the numerous times they shot themselves in the @$$ with penalties and mistakes. He had a good game against an exceptional defense who was off their game. He took full advantage of it

The line between winning and losing in the NFL is  laser thin...The ones who take advantage of the other's mistakes usually wins

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

He looked great against a great defense but 196 yards is not chewed up and spit out.  He took advantage of the opportunities that were given to him by the defense and made some nice individual plays.      

Fantasy football is really warping people's ability to analyze with a critical eye the context of a particular players's and team's statistics. Allen couldn't have thrown better passes to Foster and KB, both of which were drops, and the offense went into cryostatis in the third quarter to ice the game.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

When you have a rookie QB, the opposing team does not know what to expect in his first few games.  A few more games into the season and opposing defensive coordinators are going to begin to have more extensive game film to study.  That will enable them to game plan more specifically to counter his skill set.  I'm thrilled with what Josh Allen is doing and I am very optimistic for the future, but as we move deeper into the season, that chess game thing is going to happen with respect to game planning.

More film of that defense for our offense to see on tape.. works both ways 

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Although that is true, how do defensive coordinators game plan a 6'5" QB jumping over your 6'5" LB? 

6 hours ago, BmarvB said:

Yes it was despite the numerous times they shot themselves in the @$$ with penalties and mistakes. He had a good game against an exceptional defense who was off their game. He took full advantage of it

You sound like every other main stream analyst. No way that the Bills just dominated them. It had to be because they were "off"

Also, Minnesota scored one garbage time touchdown against a defense just trying to run the clock out and give up short plays. They couldn't make half time adjustments, they had no answer. Buffalo destroyed them in all 3 phases. It wasn't just simply because they had an "off" game. The whole entire team having an OFF day is too much of a coincidence. They got beat to a pulp plain and simple

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

7 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Ask Anthony Barr about Josh Allen 

7 hours ago, wettlaufer said:

Fantasy football is really warping people's ability to analyze with a critical eye the context of a particular players's and team's statistics. Allen couldn't have thrown better passes to Foster and KB, both of which were drops, and the offense went into cryostatis in the third quarter to ice the game.

The problem is not fantasy football it is fantasy of the mind by blinded by love homers.  I was responded to a comment that said Josh Allen chewed up and spit out the Viking defense.  Like I said Josh Allen played great against a great defense and made some outstanding individual plays.   I think we as fans have good reason today to be very optimistic in what we have with Allen.  But I just dont agree that Josh Allen chewed up and spit out the Vikings defense, they scored one TD that was not on a short field.  Yes the Bills went conservative in the second half I get that.  But the reality is they scored more than half their points on short fields given to him by the defense.   

You want some critical analysis, consider that the Bills and Vikings gained the same amount of yards in the game, 292.   Which unit really chewed up and spit out the other?  Its the Bills defense that chewed up and spit out the Vikings offense, that was the key to the game.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

<_<

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Ahhh....The inevitable “cold bucket of water” post. Love it.  Please tell us why it’s important to “be aware” of this, “moving forward”.  More  importantly, why does it make Bills fans happy to post this stuff?

12 minutes ago, mattynh said:

You want some critical analysis, consider that the Bills and Vikings gained the same amount of yards in the game, 292.   Which unit really chewed up and spit out the other?  Its the Bills defense that chewed up and spit out the Vikings offense, that was the key to the game.

You’re not serious, are you?  Did you watch the game, or just look at the box score on ESPN.com?  Almost every one of the Vikings yards came in garbage time, after the Bills had accumulated a 27-point lead and were literally giving Cousins short passes to the middle of the field.  And for the same reason, the Bills’ offense went one-dimensional the entire second half.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"The tape" has eventually killed off all of the Bills prospective franchise QB's since Kelly.

Flaws get exposed.

Tyrod and Fitz *almost* passed the film test but their flaws eventually got exploited.

That's why it's nice having a all-around gifted physical specimen like Allen.

If he can process the info he should survive the tape.

Agreed, we haven't had a QB with the skill set of Allen ever in Buffalo.  You could mention Kelly but he never had the hose like Allen or the mobility.  Kelly did other things better like being more accurate & such, but this could be a fun ride watching Allen develop.  

14 minutes ago, mattynh said:

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

\You’re not serious, are you?  Did you watch the game, or just look at the box score on ESPN.com?  Almost every one of the Vikings yards came in garbage time, after the Bills had accumulated a 27-point lead and were literally giving Cousins short passes to the middle of the field.  And for the same reason, the Bills’ offense went one-dimensional the entire second half.

I think you misread.  That is why I said the Bills defense chewed up the Viking offense, cause they did.

4 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I think you misread.  That is why I said the Bills defense chewed up the Viking offense, cause they did.

True, but you used the Vikes’ meaningless yardage total to suggest that the Bills offense didn’t play all that well.

11 hours ago, mattynh said:

He looked great against a great defense but 196 yards is not chewed up and spit out.  He took advantage of the opportunities that were given to him by the defense and made some nice individual plays.      

hah....if not for kb and foster, he may have been 20/22 300+yds...tds?

Edited by billsredneck1