Confirmed: Bills to start rookie QB Josh Allen vs. Chargers

East TX Dan

I hope McDermott realizes he can't go back.

The Peterman era lasted 2 quarters. Unless Allen gets killed we should not see Peterman again. 

This year will test Josh's toughness. He's a large frame farm boy, so he should be able to handle it, but it won't take long to see. I am a little concerned that he's not afraid to get hit at all. Don't get me wrong, I love that about him, but it could be a killer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

so if he struggles  will Bills fans give up on him after 1 game, my guess is yes.

I don’t care if he struggles, the concern is he never develops good habits because he is too busy running for his life and getting crushed.

This is incompetent management of a coveted asset.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, cv05 said:

I understand all of the arguments for and against starting Allen. I understand wanting to get him experience, but also avoid starting him for sake of his mental stability behind this awful line. What I don't understand is how its all actually gone down with this coaching staff.

How can you come to the conclusion, after months of training camp, practices and pre-season that you want to start Peterman, and then after 1 half change your mind? How could an NFL coaching staff paid millions of dollars be so wrong about the analysis of how it was going to go. Of course the line will be awful when 3/5 (or arguably 2/5) of your has retired/been traded and yet nothing has been done to remedy. They had to have known "this is going to be bad". Now, if they made the decision off the get go to say, "let's see what Allen can do with this" I'm all for it. But they didn't - they clearly had a plan to protect him. Now, as a knee jerk reaction they change their mind? I'm sorry but that just speaks volumes of poor planning and being completely overwhelmed. 

McDermott and company stumbled into the playoffs last year and I really don't think they'll experience that "success" again.

I think Peterman in practice and preseason is a completely different player than in regular season.  Peterman's abysmal game Sunday forced the Bill's hand on moving to Allen.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

If Daboll is a good OC, I would limit Josh to about 25 attempts: McCoy gets a healthy load of carries, and Ivory in the mix too. Scale the playbook down a little, get Josh into a rhythm

Check. Agree. Lets hope in the mean time the O line can keep the wolves at bey long enough for his reads.

Why is this hard to understand? The staff was hoping they could limp along with Peterman for as long as he didn’t embarrass the team, the franchise and the coaches. It lasted WAY less than time then they hoped. But....he may be back. They’ll use the measuring stick with Allen.  (It’s going to be a long ugly season!)

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I think Peterman in practice and preseason is a completely different player than in regular season.  Peterman's abysmal game Sunday forced the Bill's hand on moving to Allen.

I agree with this. Hes just has no comfort during live games. Not having an Oline doesnt help either.

No matter who they start they still have to simplify the offense. I see this going down only 1 of 2 ways. Either JA will bang and slowly become the QB I think we all agree he could possibly be. Or the best QB prospect we’ve had in years will get chewed up with the speed of this game and we’ll never see his full potential. I don’t see ant middle ground here.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

I don’t care if he struggles, the concern is he never develops good habits because he is too busy running for his life and getting crushed.

This is incompetent management of a coveted asset.

They've put themselves in a position where there's really no choice. I hope Allen is good enough and fortunate enough to thrive, but I do believe there's incompetence involved here. At minimum, they knew far enough ahead of time that o-line was a problem and did nothing but acquire bad players. Trading McCarron looks pretty stupid right now. Don't know why a vet like Moore or Anderson hasn't been brought in to at least mentor your prize rookie.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 4

57 minutes ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

Bills are going to have to be patient on this one. A rookie qb with great raw talent who needs developement surrounded by marginal talent. Gonna be a real test of Allens mental toughness. Let the unintentional tank begin. 3-13 here we come.

Three wins?  I can’t find three 

Fair enough, but then why not keep Allen as a last resort? Why trade McCarron? Allen, is going to get demolished behind this line - I think they had to have known going into this that it was going to end badly for whoever is in at quarterback. You could put Tom Brady out there and he would look bad. 

I'm so tired of hearing about this "awful line". Look around the league people - almost everyone's line is bad. Did you see Watson on Sunday? 

Line play is at an all time worst league wide. It's not something that can be fixed this year. And probably only something that can be upgraded minimally next season. 

Kid's gonna have to learn to overcome it. If we keep him on ice until the line is sufficient for all of you - he'll never see the field.

• Like (+1) 3