Kelvin Benjamin is NOT a Number 1 WR - Being Phased Out with the Youth Movement

26CornerBlitz

This is a weak fa class. With golladay emerging tate may be available. Enunwa is the second best realistic option. 

PLAYER (82)
POS.
TO
GP
REC
YDS
YDS/REC
TD
FUM
2018 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE
Larry Fitzgerald WR 36 ARI TBD 3 12 113 9.4     $11,000,000 UFA -
Randall Cobb WR 29 GB TBD 3 17 195 11.5 1 2 $10,000,000 UFA -
Donte Moncrief WR 26 JAC TBD 3 7 64 9.1 1 1 $9,600,000 UFA -
Tavon Austin WR 28 DAL TBD 3 5 81 16.2 2   $7,000,000 UFA -
Golden Tate WR 31 DET TBD 3 20 257 12.8 1   $6,200,000 UFA -
Ryan Grant WR 28 IND TBD 3 13 124 9.5 1   $5,000,000 UFA -
John Brown WR 29 BAL TBD 3 12 222 18.5 2   $5,000,000 UFA -
Jermaine Kearse WR 29 NYJ TBD 2 4 34 8.5     $4,500,000 UFA -
Terrelle Pryor WR 30 NYJ TBD 3 8 158 19.8     $4,500,000 UFA -
Cordarrelle Patterson WR 28 NE TBD 3 5 36 7.2     $4,250,000 UFA -
Kevin White WR 27 CHI TBD 3           $4,140,762 UFA -
Mike Wallace WR 33 PHI TBD 2           $4,000,000 UFA -
Chris Hogan WR 30 NE TBD 3 7 84 12.0 2   $4,000,000 UFA -
Cole Beasley WR 30 DAL TBD 3 12 132 11.0     $3,401,500 UFA -
Quincy Enunwa WR 27 NYJ TBD 3 17 212 12.5 1 1 $2,914,000 UFA -
Adam Humphries WR 26 TB TBD 3 7 65 9.3     $2,914,000 UFA -
Tyrell Williams WR 27 LAC TBD 3 7 78 11.1 1 1 $2,914,000 UFA -
Cody Latimer WR 27 NYG TBD 3 3 56 18.7     $2,500,000 UFA -
Phillip Dorsett WR 26 NE TBD 3 12 110 9.2 1   $2,033,854 UFA -
Kelvin Benjamin WR 28 BUF TBD 3 6 58 9.7 1   $1,916,063 UFA Market Value
TJ Jones WR 27 DET TBD 3 2 10 5.0     $1,907,000 UFA -
Josh Bellamy WR 30 CHI TBD 3 2 8 4.0     $1,907,000 UFA -
Brandon LaFell WR 32 OAK TBD 2           $1,750,000 UFA -
Devin Funchess WR 25 CAR TBD 3 14 185 13.2 1   $1,380,222 UFA -
Darrius Heyward-Bey WR 32 PIT TBD 3           $1,266,667 UFA -
Russell Shepard WR 28 NYG TBD 3           $1,250,000 UFA -

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If you can get him back on a 6-7 Million dollar a year contract I'd be ok with that, but he cannot be the first option.   That said, contracts are going to get ridiculous next year, and given they are already insane for wideouts, I think you end up seeing guys like John Brown and Randall Cobb getting 15-17 a year. 

He's well on his way to a one-year prove it deal. 

On 9/9/2018 at 5:28 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

This guy looks slow, does not make plays for his QB, has compete, and focus issues.

No way I sign him to a big deal. 

You're right, he's not #1... he's #13. 

Man, I thought you were pretty sharp. Surprised I had to point this out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/25/2018 at 10:37 PM, GG said:

In all seriousness, if he has another clunker game, don’t be surprised if he’s IRd with an injury.  Bills will not release him because of comp pick formula.  

You cant 'fake' an injury to IR a player  just  because you are disappointed in a player's  'production. Players union will make sure of that

On 9/26/2018 at 9:05 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A rookie can't verbally get all over a veteran's arse.  It wouldn't work. 

That's what the play hurdling Barr was about.  It's a gauntlet. 

It's a "here's what I got athletically, here's what I'm willing to do to get the team a 1st down.  What YOU got?" moment.

He's got talent right enough.  That's what's so frustrating.  He could if he would, but his head and his heart aren't there.

Let him go? Who we got behind him?

What's he done?  Nothing from nothing leaves nothing right?

I think trading for Benjamin was Beane's worst decision to date, not remotely close to worth a 3rd and 7th. He knew exactly what he was getting, having spent years in Carolina with him. He has the size, and has made some great catches in his career, but I noticed little red flags here and there with him. I may be nitpicking, but when he trashed Cam and then jumped into the crowd after scoring a touchdown in a PRESEASON game, I thought he made a fool of himself. Then, After having a terrible game against the Ravens, he said he felt like he was doing fine, and something along the lines of "of course I'm a #1 receiver, why wouldn't I be?", as if this is something that is presupposed and not earned and retained through productivity. He's complacent, and the greats never are. I will be severely disappointed if the Bills resign him, unless it is for a very low price

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/9/2018 at 5:28 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

This guy looks slow, does not make plays for his QB, has compete, and focus issues.

No way I sign him to a big deal. 

FACTS.

Benjamin is more of a disappointment than Samantha Watkins.

Watkins, Woods, !@#$ it even Hogan > Benjadrop

4 minutes ago, billsgpr88 said:

Then, After having a terrible game against the Ravens, he said he felt like he was doing fine, and something along the lines of "of course I'm a #1 receiver, why wouldn't I be?", as if this is something that is presupposed and not earned and retained through productivity. He's complacent, and the greats never are. I will be severely disappointed if the Bills resign him, unless it is for a very low price

Facts! that @sshole doesnt even know the playbook. Everyone has to tell him where to line up.
He backstabbed Cam Newton and didnt even man up and say it to his face when he grilled him in pre-season. I dont like Cam but I gained new respect after seeing him confront Benjabtch.

Im starting to realize Kelvin Benjamin is a btch and a half

28 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Kup has twice as many yards in the first half of this game then KB has all year.

Kup is dope. Benji is trash.

I like much of what this organization is doing, but what has happened on wide receivers makes no sense.   Benjamin could still turn out OK if he stops dropping passes, but it pains me to regularly see four receivers (Watkins, Woods, Goodwin and Hogan) that were once Bills produce every week and know that they would likely be a better #1 at this point than Benjamin.   

It's ok not to retain people if the price isn't right, and at the time, cases could have been stated for not retaining the four that I mentioned.   However, if you get rid of people, you have to replace them with something better or at least comparable.   As of now, Buffalo has failed to do that by a long shot.

Edited by dgrochester55

Kelvin Benjamin among Bills wideouts dropping the ball

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Wide receivers for the Buffalo Bills began last season on a historically bad pace. Their production this season has been better, but not by much.

Bills wideouts have 21 catches through Week 3, an NFL low, and 250 receiving yards, fourth-worst in the league. The Bills have one touchdown caught by a wide receiver and have been credited by ESPN Stats & Information with five drops among their wide receivers, a drops-per-target rate of 11.1 percent that is the NFL's worst.

Kelvin Benjamin, who made it clear two weeks ago that he is the team's No. 1 receiver, has only six catches and 58 receiving yards through three games.

"God damn, [have] we been throwing at all?" Benjamin said Thursday when asked to react to his stat line. "But to be honest, man, it is what it is. We got 13 games left. We all know the last 13 games, a dude could go crazy each game. I'm just working, man. Just getting better. Feeling good. We gonna keep grinding and keep building this relationship with Josh [Allen]."

40 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Wide receivers for the Buffalo Bills began last season on a historically bad pace. Their production this season has been better, but not by much.

Bills wideouts have 21 catches through Week 3, an NFL low, and 250 receiving yards, fourth-worst in the league. The Bills have one touchdown caught by a wide receiver and have been credited by ESPN Stats & Information with five drops among their wide receivers, a drops-per-target rate of 11.1 percent that is the NFL's worst.

Kelvin Benjamin, who made it clear two weeks ago that he is the team's No. 1 receiver, has only six catches and 58 receiving yards through three games.

"God damn, [have] we been throwing at all?" Benjamin said Thursday when asked to react to his stat line. "But to be honest, man, it is what it is. We got 13 games left. We all know the last 13 games, a dude could go crazy each game. I'm just working, man. Just getting better. Feeling good. We gonna keep grinding and keep building this relationship with Josh [Allen]."

I have this sick feeling that over the last half of the season KB is going to do ok, Beane is going to extend him to big bucks and KB will never feel the need to play hard again.

15 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I have this sick feeling that over the last half of the season KB is going to do ok, Beane is going to extend him to big bucks and KB will never feel the need to play hard again.

It'll be a test for Beane then - is he going to be astute enough to pack the contract with incentives?

Pretty good Skurski article about Benjamin in TBN today (paywall, you can get a trial).

He acknowledges to Skurski " "I'm thinking first down, touchdown, instead of going up and getting the ball," he said. "More my stats than for the team. I've got to think more for the team and what's going to help the team." and acknowledges that his contract year has been a distraction.

He credits McDermott with helping him focus: " Of course it's a distraction sometimes, but I think the coaches are doing a great job with me, talking to me about it, just saying, 'You know, just go out there and play — showcase your skills and don't worry about the money of it,' " he said. "That's what coach McDermott has talked to me about." " "Just catch it," he said. "Everything else is a bonus."

Benjamin indirectly acknowledges part of what might be the problem on several underthrown Allen balls: "Benjamin agreed with McDermott's assessment that he has had his best week of practice so far, saying he feels as good physically as he has since coming into the NFL in 2014. "I mean, I'm just going out, going hard, playing fast for Josh (Allen) so we can get on the right timing," he said.

On a couple of underthrown Allen passes to Benjamin in the Chargers game,  I thought practice might be a factor, that Benjamin might not be going all-out in practice thus Allen is throwing to where he expects Benjamin to be (based on practice or previous, loaf-y game play vs Ravens) not where he actually was in that game.

57 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yes, Kelvin.  Yes, we have been throwing.  And if you were catching more of what's thrown your way, you'd have better stats.

Hopefully coaches made that point to him.

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It'll be a test for Beane then - is he going to be astute enough to pack the contract with incentives?

Pretty good Skurski article about Benjamin in TBN today (paywall, you can get a trial).

He acknowledges to Skurski " "I'm thinking first down, touchdown, instead of going up and getting the ball," he said. "More my stats than for the team. I've got to think more for the team and what's going to help the team." and acknowledges that his contract year has been a distraction.

He credits McDermott with helping him focus: " Of course it's a distraction sometimes, but I think the coaches are doing a great job with me, talking to me about it, just saying, 'You know, just go out there and play — showcase your skills and don't worry about the money of it,' " he said. "That's what coach McDermott has talked to me about." " "Just catch it," he said. "Everything else is a bonus."

Benjamin indirectly acknowledges part of what might be the problem on several underthrown Allen balls: "Benjamin agreed with McDermott's assessment that he has had his best week of practice so far, saying he feels as good physically as he has since coming into the NFL in 2014. "I mean, I'm just going out, going hard, playing fast for Josh (Allen) so we can get on the right timing," he said.

On a couple of underthrown Allen passes to Benjamin in the Chargers game,  I thought practice might be a factor, that Benjamin might not be going all-out in practice thus Allen is throwing to where he expects Benjamin to be (based on practice or previous, loaf-y game play vs Ravens) not where he actually was in that game.

Yes, Kelvin.  Yes, we have been throwing.  And if you were catching more of what's thrown your way, you'd have better stats.

That's actually a really good article. Thanks for that, Hap. 

What worries me about him being distracted by the contract year stuff is that once he gets that contract, how will that affect his mindset? Is he paid so now he doesn't worry about how he practices/plays at all? Or is he the kind of guy that lo9ks at the contract and says well, now I have to earn it. 

Could Also be counter productive including incentives for a guy like this as well. Instead of focusing on what's good for team, he's worrying about meeting personal milestones to get paid. 

In the end, McD and Beane know him on a personal level and know what makes him tick and they have known him for a while. We just don't. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/25/2018 at 4:50 PM, Dopey said:

Pay accordingly and he stays. Jmo.

We don't know what happened behind the scenes....Bills had a lot of cap decisions to make,we don't  know what it would have taken to keep him. In their minds they might have had to  to "over pay' to keep him.

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"God damn, [have] we been throwing at all?" Benjamin said Thursday when asked to react to his stat line. "But to be honest, man, it is what it is.

God damn, have you been catching at all?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If KB was our number 2 guy I would not have such a problem with it......but there needs to be a go to pass catcher on this team.

Maybe if KB realizes that he ISNT the best WR on the team he might work harder......right now they all suck so he has no motivation

Holmes had 1 less target and the same number of yards vs the Vikes.  Made a couple of tough contested catches, and the 1 miss, he caught the ball but didn't get his 2nd foot down.

Maybe KB will get the flick:  being outperformed by a 30 year old journeyman, K.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Holmes had 1 less target and the same number of yards vs the Vikes.  Made a couple of tough contested catches, and the 1 miss, he caught the ball but didn't get his 2nd foot down.

Maybe KB will get the flick:  being outperformed by a 30 year old journeyman, K.

Really starting to feel like letting Rod Streater go was a mistake.....

I do feel that they will get this fixed...it will probably just not be this year....i have hopes that Ray Ray will pan out but I hope Beane is already looking at his offensive weapons for next year.......

Kelvin Benjamin has been a disappointment since he came to Buffalo.

He should be the leader of the WR room and should be the guy helping the other WRs improve.

To me he has shown no leadership and no real desire (so far) to be fully engaged with the success

of the team, even though this is a contract year for him.

It seems to me unless KB changes he complete attitude about playing for Buffalo starting this

Sunday he should not be considered by Beane for re-signing. 

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Kelvin Benjamin has been a disappointment since he came to Buffalo.

He should be the leader of the WR room and should be the guy helping the other WRs improve.

To me he has shown no leadership and no real desire (so far) to be fully engaged with the success

of the team, even though this is a contract year for him.

It seems to me unless KB changes he complete attitude about playing for Buffalo starting this

Sunday he should not be considered by Beane for re-signing. 

I agree with all of that, and yet our coach and GM have experience with this guy and still chose to bring him to Buffalo.

Makes no sense.

Along with repeatedly giving Nate Peterman a shot despite him being atrociously bad, place the failed Benjamin Project in the "HC has suspect judgment" file.