Kelvin Benjamin is NOT a Number 1 WR - Being Phased Out with the Youth Movement

26CornerBlitz

Sal Capaccio's thoughts on Benjamin's game yesterday:

BEHIND THE STICKS

WR Kelvin Benjamin 
Once again Benjamin shows up on here for the wrong reasons, this time because of two huge drops early in the game, one of which might have been a touchdown (clearly would have been at least a first down near the goal line).  He bounced back later with three catches for 29 yards, but did his young quarterback no favors by not coming up with those grabs. 

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sal Capaccio's thoughts on Benjamin's game yesterday:

BEHIND THE STICKS

WR Kelvin Benjamin 
Once again Benjamin shows up on here for the wrong reasons, this time because of two huge drops early in the game, one of which might have been a touchdown (clearly would have been at least a first down near the goal line).  He bounced back later with three catches for 29 yards, but did his young quarterback no favors by not coming up with those grabs. 

I know this is piling on, but Benjamin's "attempt" to field the ball on the late onside kick was laughably weak. It was kicked to him and he just stood there, clearly trying to avoid contact and being at the bottom of the pile. The game was over, so maybe it was best to try and avoid injury. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

What might be worse than Kelvin Benjamin's performance is our front offices ability to assess offensive talent. I mean, they traded FOR this guy, moved up for Zay and cut a proven veteran (Kerly) for Robert "I got it, I got it, I don't got it" Foster. 

Edit: Ray Ray "catch the punt please" McAfro and Andre Holmes!!!

Keep digging in on your mistaken, horrible takes.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I know this is piling on, but Benjamin's "attempt" to field the ball on the late onside kick was laughably weak. It was kicked to him and he just stood there, clearly trying to avoid contact and being at the bottom of the pile. The game was over, so maybe it was best to try and avoid injury. 

I posted about that in the GDT.  His effort or lack thereof was inexcusably lame.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Benjamin is playing tentatively. I am not sure what his problem is but he is going to get a talking to by McDermott I am sure. The onside kick was zero effort. Benjamin either gets on board or he gets out. Trade him for a conditional pick

...donate him back to Cam.......

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

What might be worse than Kelvin Benjamin's performance is our front offices ability to assess offensive talent. I mean, they traded FOR this guy, moved up for Zay and cut a proven veteran (Kerly) for Robert "I got it, I got it, I don't got it" Foster. 

Edit: Ray Ray "catch the punt please" McAfro and Andre Holmes!!!

I'm really warming up to Holmes.  He's made a couple high-degree-of-difficulty catches, like the goal line catch yesterday, and had some just-miss like the sideline catch where he didn't quite get his second foot down while being pushed OOB.  He's also being kept in on run plays and even lined up like a TE because he's a capable blocker.

But in general, of course, I agree with your questions about our FO's ability to assess WR talent.  I believe they sincerely believed Benjamin, Zay Jones, and Robert Matthews would be an upgrade to Watkins, Woods, and Goodwin, and they are shown to be sincerely mistaken.

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yeah, pretty bad when your “number one” WR shows up on the hands team for an onside kick and you first thought is “why is he out there, he can’t catch”  This happened to me yesterday.

I think it happened to a lot of us.  "Why is HE on the hands team?  He has none!"  "Wait....he's our #1 wideout, What did I just think?"

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I love being right about this bum.  Told everyone he wasn't worth it.  Was mocked.

Sirrah,

I do believe me that your affections are strangely misplaced.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm really warming up to Holmes.  He's made a couple high-degree-of-difficulty catches, like the goal line catch yesterday, and had some just-miss like the sideline catch where he didn't quite get his second foot down while being pushed OOB.  He's also being kept in on run plays and even lined up like a TE because he's a capable blocker.

But in general, of course, I agree with your questions about our FO's ability to assess WR talent.  I believe they sincerely believed Benjamin, Zay Jones, and Robert Matthews would be an upgrade to Watkins, Woods, and Goodwin, and they are shown to be sincerely mistaken.

I think it happened to a lot of us.

I appreciate and respect your opinion on many Bills' things as they are usually logical and tempered with reason. But in this case, I have to say this is really stretching for both. Watkins admitted after he was traded to LA that he was not a good teammate and wanted the ball for selfish reasons, that's not who McD and Beane wanted on the team and they knew he would want big money a year later - get a 2nd for him and use Draft capital, seems like an easy decision when considering both of those things. Woods, was a FA and as we can now see, Beane is hell-bent on getting the Cap issue rectified all the way to the point of knowing this was going to be a tough year and it would mean essentially re-setting themselves in virtually every position group. Goodwin did NOT show his football chops while in Buffalo, often injured and a one-trick pony. Now, I'm happy for the guy and it's obvious that he was distracted by the Olympics and poor coaching was a large contributor to using him properly, but Beane and Co. could not have known that at the time, IMHO. As for Matthews, he was injured for a fair portion of the year and Tyrod was the QB when guys were running open and free in the middle of the field and he couldn't make the pass.

As for Benjamin, I'm more appalled at his lack of effort and lazy attitude than anything else. Not catching the ball is infuriating as a fan, but it's his piss-poor attitude that really drives me nuts and *that's* the reason I think he's not doing well - he just doesn't seem invested and it's also the reason why I'm fine with him leaving - sooner rather than later. And yes, you'd think Beane and McD would have known that about him, so maybe that is on them. But to presume they thought they were all "better" than the first three, IMO, fails to take the context into consideration.