Grading the Pegulas Thus Far

Pegula Grades  

184 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade the Pegulas on their tenure as the owners of the Buffalo Bills?

2. 2. How would you grade the Pegulas on their tenure as the owners of the Buffalo Sabres?

I wish incomplete was a choice.

I gave C's to both. Mostly because everything they have done off the field/ice.

And the fact that after a couple rocky first handful of seasons they seem to be settling in as owners as well as finally finding the right people to run each organization in my opinion. 

They are great owners to have. They are learning as they go. They will only become better

C from me. I'd edge towards C+. I think the decision not to extend Marrone when he asked was wrong. I think the hire of Rex was a predictable disaster. I think the firing of Rex should have happened after 1 year (Terry knew that too but bottled the decision). Then when the Rex get fired it was spectacularly mishandled. Having Anthony Lynn who was the 1 game interim HC be the first team representative to be available to the media was grossly unfair on him and then, while Whaley certainly did himself no favours with the infamous press conference, leaving Whaley out there to defend a Pegula decision to fire Rex was negligent. Terry should have been in Buffalo and on a podium within 24 hours of Rex's firing. Accountability should start at the very top. 

However, I think the improvements made to the facilities for players, the revamping of the locker room, the funding of Rex and Doug's 2014 FA spree, and the number of established high profile personnel people Beane has been allowed to bring into the FO (at I am guessing no little cost) show me that when they say they are willing to spend whatever it takes to win they mean it and that is refreshing. 

The decision to hire McDermott was a slam dunk as far as I was concerned even before the guy broke the drought in his 1st season. The decision to ensure he has a GM he is on the same page as was equally vital and there seems far more unity and a clearer direction than in many a year. The drough ended on his watch and he gets some credit for that too, even thought W-L record is not really how I judge owners. 

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I like what they are doing. They got themselves in a little bit of a hole grade wise with the whole Rex Ryan thing (and allowing Rob Ryan to come in) and blowing up that defense Marrone had created with Jim Schwartz. Got to give them a solid B at this stage but they're trending upwards. I like what I'm seeing currently and with the money and picks we have next year I'm getting really optimistic again.

A little bit? They should get a much lower grade for that mess.....failing grade for the Sabres......having said that....looks like they finally hired good GMs for both teams and are focusing on front office  and league issues

C for Bills, D for Sabres.

They have made quite a few mistakes, the greatest of which was maintaining status quo with both organizations once they took ownership.  That decision set both franchises back a number of years.

The LaFontaine/GMTM episode with the Sabres probably cost the organization close to 5 years....and those were the worst 5 years in franchise history.

I have said since day 1 Pegula is the least knowledgable sports fan you know.  He shows it all the time.

Taking out the "leave in Buffalo" and grading only the performance of their sports product.

Bills - C.  Started with all the Polian confusion, Marrone leaving and Whaley staying, this was an F right out of the shoot.  The Rex and Rob show, listening to that Marketing Guy, that was bad.  Coach McD and GM Beane have pulled this from a F to a C and it's trending up.  Still in a rebuild but I think they have the right people running things and they stay out of the way of Football Operations.  They can go to B this season if the young players develop further by end of year, this seasons record is secondary to Allen and Edmunds looking good. 

Sabres - D.  Horrendous signings and organizational errors by the Pegulas in the early years.  No playoffs in 7 years and 3 last place finishes in 5 years should be an F but we have Eichel, Mittlestat, and Dahlin to build on and plenty of other young talent so this grade reflects an upward trend.  I like Botterill, not so sure about Housley as an NHL HC.   

Now add in the total impact, commitment to staying in Buffalo, building Harbor Place, Canal Side, helping to revitalize downtown, One Buffalo   ===>  A to the Pegula's

Edited by Bob in STL

Just because the drought is over means nothing. The biggest mistake they have made was allowing Russ Brandon to stay on, and then letting him run the Sabres as well. It was a colossal failure. The next huge whiff was hiring Loud Mouth Rex Ryan. I think we are all grateful to the Pegulas for saving the team. I am hopeful they have learned from their mistakes and have it right this time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Just because the drought is over means nothing. The biggest mistake they have made was allowing Russ Brandon to stay on, and then letting him run the Sabres as well. It was a colossal failure. The next huge whiff was hiring Loud Mouth Rex Ryan. I think we are all grateful to the Pegulas for saving the team. I am hopeful they have learned from their mistakes and have it right this time. 

I don't know about that one. The drought being over means a lot to most of us.

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Aside from keeping the team(s) in WNY, which will always get an A in almost all of our books, how would you grade the Pegulas overall performance as owners so far?

Came in very naive and have learned some tough lessons.  I think the key is, they learned and they have grown.  It finally looks like the they have the right people in place in both organizations.  If they bought both organizations 2 years ago, i would give them an A.  Factoring in the growing pains, I give them a C, but with a bright future...

Edited by ricojes