Season Excitement?

ngbills

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is the least excited that I’ve maybe ever been. With that being said it can turn quickly if Allen looks like a player. For me this year was never about wins and losses. It was about clearing the cap and drafting a franchise QB. The job is half done. If Allen proves to be that guy the Bills may become contenders sooner rather than later. I will be REALLY excited for the 2019 season.

Same. I have never been so scared to watch us play an opener as I am this week. My faith in our starting Quarterback is close to nil. 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Same. I have never been so scared to watch us play an opener as I am this week. My faith in our starting Quarterback is close to nil. 

anything good will be awesome

maybe a moral victory to claim as well

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

I can't say that I'm excited about the games so much, but I am curious of a few things.  Like how many pick 6's Peterman will throw before Allen gets to play.  Then, how many games until the fan base realizes Allen is not franchise material.

I'm excited to see what the draft order will be in 2019.

I guess one other curiosity is, will this be the year McCoy hits the wall?

Sadly I am kind of rooting for Peterman to throw a bunch of picks in the opener. Just for the story line and speed up the process of Allen getting in there. I would not feel that way if I felt this team had a shot. But Peterman is probably the worst QB in a long list I have seen the Bills put out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Let's see...new QB (who threw 5 picks in his last NFL game...er, half), OL looks like a sieve, 2 NFL-caliber WR's, all-new DL, new MLB, new DB's, and the best, a punter who hasn't kicked in an NFL game before.  I don't know about you, but I'm feeling like Hollywood in a dogfight (Top Gun reference, in case you missed it).

And still only a 7 point dog on the road...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Sadly I am kind of rooting for Peterman to throw a bunch of picks in the opener. Just for the story line and speed up the process of Allen getting in there. I would not feel that way if I felt this team had a shot. But Peterman is probably the worst QB in a long list I have seen the Bills put out there. 

it was fine to cheer against the prior two "QBs" but this is an attempt to put in an honest NFL QB for a change, so don't cheer against it...

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Where does this season rank in terms of excitement? What players are you excited to see?

For me what started off as high, whether it is seeing Allen as the QB or what AJM can do, is now pretty low. I still think the team could surprise and wind up 7-9 or 808 just based on parity in the NFL. But there is not much "wow" factor on this team. Peterman is the least talented and exciting QB starting in the NFL. McCoy is only getting older and playing with a worse OL. Our WR's are awful and have no one that has star power. On Defense I am hopeful they look better than in preseason. But they are not going to be feared if they cant get to the QB. The DB's look worse. LB's look worse. Just hard to get excited about the D.

Even in bad years there is usually something to look forward to. Just not seeing it this year. Except maybe waiting for Allen to take the field. 

I am always excited, can't wait until the home opener!  I am hoping Peterman plays well, so he can generate some trade interest.  Next season (if not sooner), let Allen loose and a ton of cap space to spend on FA's...Let's GO!!!!!

I am glad football is back in general. Low expectations equals less disappointment. I have low expectations this year after watching the OL this preseason. Just looking for steps forward from the young players. :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

This season for me is all about getting Allen out there and seeing how Tremaine improves. 

Other things to watch:

- will the secondary continue to be a strength? And when will we see a long term solution at the other  corner spot?

- will meatball 2.0 be a disruptive force?

- will trent play?

- is Daboll the anti - rico ? 

- did Zay fight as hard to improve his catching as he did for baby Jesus? 

- will k-Benj be good again? 

- can the offensive lines play be less offensive to watch than it has been so far this preseason? 

- which ex panthers are getting signed this season? 

-any remaining  Whaley guys to still trade? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is the least excited that I’ve maybe ever been. With that being said it can turn quickly if Allen looks like a player. For me this year was never about wins and losses. It was about clearing the cap and drafting a franchise QB. The job is half done. If Allen proves to be that guy the Bills may become contenders sooner rather than later. I will be REALLY excited for the 2019 season.

That's kind of where I'm at.  I've gone through a **** ton of bad seasons with the Bills, but I'm always a die-hard and haven't missed a game in over 40 years. Maybe it's the political climate, the players attitudes, the money they get that they don't seem to appreciate, but the NFL as a whole is becoming more of a turn-off. I love the game of football, but the business of it has taken over and it's not the same as it used to be.  I really enjoyed college football last weekend. It felt more pure and exciting.

I think between my Fantasy teams and FanDuel bets, I'll get excited once the bullets start flying. And if the Bills actually show some guts and improvement and are competitive, it will be really easy to get excited.  If the pre-season carries over, I'll still be watching, but with a little less enthusiasm and maybe watching the games on NFL Game pass that night and enjoying my Sundays again.

• Like (+1) 1

The big difference for me this year is that the FO has not sold the fans a "bill of goods" (i.e., hype) regarding how good the team really is.     The McBeane duo has been realistic and up front about the 'process' and where it stands.

Too many times in the past, the front office has sold hype/hope and wound everyone up with expectations, only to see them fall flat like Charlie Brown attempting to kick the ball from Lucy's hold.

It's a refreshing approach, if not exactly exhilarating...

• Like (+1) 1

I was more hyped for the 3rd preseason game than I am for the season opener. It’s hard when you know your starting QB isn’t the future, although I agree it’s the right decision.  

Just knowing we are in year two of our “rebuild” makes it hard to get excited because most of our future probably isn’t on the team yet on offense.  Outside of Josh Allen and Dawkins, I’m not sure who will fill out the rest of our entire offense in two years. 

Defensively, I’m more intrigued as we are a lot closer there. However, Edmunds needs time and is vital to a McDermott defense. 

Overall, expectations are low and excitement is more about football being back than Bills football success 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m excited.. Maybe a little less than prior seasons to a certain extent, I think many of our “fans” on this board are selling this team short. I get the expectation of a losing season considering the talent level. However I fully expect the team to compete and be in every game and have a chance to win. I’m sure we may get blown out in some games but that’s the same for any team mostly.

my only expectation is to see constant improvement in all facets of the game from them. No regression from the young core 

30 minutes ago, MDH said:

I’m always excited about the start of the NFL season whether the Bills are expected to be horrible or not.

Same here.  At the start of the season is always exciting to me because you just never can tell what "could" happen.

The last stretch of years I was in the 8-8 range and that's were the Bills ended +/- 1 game.

This year has me totally guessing.  The logical side say 6 wins BUT the games have to be played.

McDermott, Daboll and Frazier have their work cut out for them.

Can this roster "overachieve"?  Maybe they can.

I really hope Allen plays well when he starts sometime this season.