The non challenge by Mcdermott

It's a little late but the Josh Allen scramble play against Cincy that would have almost surely been a first down (if not atleast moved up nearly a full yard). And instead of challenging the play they rush their punt team on as if they were the ones afraid of a Cincy challenge.  That could have been the momentum shift the Bills and Allen needed to gain some confidence and turn the game around.  

Between that and the punt in the Colts game they definitely are cause for concern regarding Mcdermotts in game decision making.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't care about any of that in a pre-season game, and I don't think the coaching staff does either.  

Having said that, McD made a steady stream of typical football coaching errors in games last year; it's a weak spot in his game.  

Let's hope he improves in that regard this season.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He should’ve challenged.  It’s preseason so I’m not worried about it.  

My question is, I know they changed the sliding rule for QBs.  Does anyone know exactly how it was changed?  I thought I had heard that if a qb dives head first, the ball is marked down where he started his dive, not where the ball ends up.  Is that really the case?  If so, that shouldn’t have been a first down, he started the dive before the ball was over the mark.  I could be completely wrong though, I heard it on a podcast while I was on the phone 

4 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

It's a little late but the Josh Allen scramble play against Cincy that would have almost surely been a first down (if not atleast moved up nearly a full yard). And instead of challenging the play they rush their punt team on as if they were the ones afraid of a Cincy challenge.  That could have been the momentum shift the Bills and Allen needed to gain some confidence and turn the game around.  

Between that and the punt in the Colts game they definitely are cause for concern regarding Mcdermotts in game decision making.  

It.  Was. A. Preseason. Game.

maybe they wanted to get more in Schmidt before making a decision.  Or wanted to see some bubble guys more in special teams.

Enough

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't care about any of that in a pre-season game, and I don't think the coaching staff does either.  

Having said that, McD made a steady stream of typical football coaching errors in games last year; it's a weak spot in his game.  

Let's hope he improves in that regard this season.

I think he should care.  Just like this is good practice for players, its good practice for coach too.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It.  Was. A. Preseason. Game.

maybe they wanted to get more in Schmidt before making a decision.  Or wanted to see some bubble guys more in special teams.

Enough

Totally.

I swear. Some of yall sound like it's your first rodeo.  Pre season doesn't mean nothing, it meAns less than nothing.

Edited by reddogblitz

I don't think the spot is as black-and-white as most fans think as far as winning that challenge.  It's hard to tell when the foot might have touched out of bounds or the knee hit the ground.  I think they got a crappy spot, but I'm biased.  I wouldn't call it indisputable.

Also, why bother using a challenge in preseason?  I know they keep score but as a coach you're not really trying to win in preseason, it's primarily about evaluation for the coaches (and avoiding injuries).

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Totally.

I swear. Some of yall sound like it's your first rodeo.  Pre season doesn't mean nothing, it meAns less than nothing.

...thanks....I was sweating bullets that the non red flag meant it ain't ever coming out......funny stuff, isn't it???....

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, it was pre-season but frankly the ultra-conservatism is troubling.  There is absolutely no way on earth we should have punted in overtime against the Colts.  A tie puts us out of the running for the playoffs.  It was extraordinarily lucky to win that game.  My son and I attended the JAX playoff game.  We walked out when McDermott punted on 4th and short with about three minutes to go.  Yeah, they got the ball back but my God, show some moxie.  You're in the playoffs for the first time in 17 years!  Fun fact.  I attended two Bills games in person last year.  Carolina and JAX.  Bills' O totals: zero touchdowns; two field goals; 6 and 7 point losses.

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't like the non-challenge at all. 

Young QB, in a tough situation, finally makes a big play.  Team rallies around him.  Maybe he, and the offense, finds some rhythm. 

We don't challenge.  We punt. 

Maybe nothing changes, but I thought that was a moment that the team needed that day.

If he just wanted to punt, so be it.  Maybe he did want to practice OL hypotheticals as well.  Just bizarre use of PG3, imo.  If we beat Baltimore Week 1, i'll immediately retract any criticism of this game.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, st pete gogolak said:

Yeah, it was pre-season but frankly the ultra-conservatism is troubling.  There is absolutely no way on earth we should have punted in overtime against the Colts.  A tie puts us out of the running for the playoffs.  It was extraordinarily lucky to win that game.  My son and I attended the JAX playoff game.  We walked out when McDermott punted on 4th and short with about three minutes to go.  Yeah, they got the ball back but my God, show some moxie.  You're in the playoffs for the first time in 17 years!  Fun fact.  I attended two Bills games in person last year.  Carolina and JAX.  Bills' O totals: zero touchdowns; two field goals; 6 and 7 point losses.

WE WON THE GAME. What do you want?  If punting helps us win i hope we do a lot of it this year.

Did you leave at 1/2 time vs the Oilers too?

23 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

I guess it would be a thing if it was a real game....

You could tell that McD was still evaluating players

I think Buffalo Fanatics posted something on Instagram about how McDermott ruined Allen's 1st start and the question was why.  Some of the reasoning:

- That non challenge on the obvious 1st down.

-Rotating lineman in and out

-Showing too much playbook with our 1st team offense in the 1st preseason game against the Panthers with Peterman

There were a couple others... don't have access to the article right now.  That last one I guess they claim McDermott actually admitted he showed more of the playbook than he wanted in that Panthers game.

I don't really know.

Is it because McDermott really doesn't want to be forced to play Allen and if Allen looked really good he would have been forced to do so?

OR

Is it that McDermott wanted to challenge the hell out of Allen and see if he could maintain his poise and composure?

Don't know, but we won't know who our starter is almost certainly for another week and a half.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

How do you know they didn't have players they wanted to look at more on defense/special teams than they did on offense?  You do realize pre-season is for evaluating players who are trying to make the team?

He also didn’t challenge the td from the week before. I believe we ended up scoring anyways but McDermott so far to me has left a lot to be desired in terms of game mgmt. that’s on the head coach and he should be practicing for real games just like all the players are. not giving Allen more reps so he can evaluate a punter would be almost a fireable offense. I think he didn’t challenge it simply because he wasn’t ready or didn’t think the ref was wrong. 

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

WE WON THE GAME. What do you want?  If punting helps us win i hope we do a lot of it this year.

Did you leave at 1/2 time vs the Oilers too?

Just because the game was won doesn't mean the coach didn't make any errors.    I agree with St. Pete, that punt never should have happened.   We won because the best kicker of all time missed a kick from the 9 yard line, another 42 yarder, and we had a super lucky endzone call at the end to keep things alive.   

The point is if you have a great offense and want to coach conservatively that's one thing, but if you have one of the worst offenses in the league you'll need to have some balls and take some risks here and there.   The NO challenge flag in a meaningless Bengals preseason game in front of a huge crowd was ridiculously weak considering you rookie qb just layed out for a dive to move the sticks and got damn close (worst case it's 4th and inches and a great way to play smashmouth with Ivory and get your Oline and Josh Allen some confidence).

I don't buy the "it's just preseason" crap.  It's team football and you're looking for good things to build on, so McD needs to lose the bra sometimes and go for it.

(i don't mean Mike Tomlin stupid, just don't be a puss)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Just because the game was won doesn't mean the coach didn't make any errors.    I agree with St. Pete, that punt never should have happened.   We won because the best kicker of all time missed a kick from the 9 yard line, another 42 yarder, and we had a super lucky endzone call at the end to keep things alive.   

The point is if you have a great offense and want to coach conservatively that's one thing, but if you have one of the worst offenses in the league you'll need to have some balls and take some risks here and there.   The NO challenge flag in a meaningless Bengals preseason game in front of a huge crowd was ridiculously weak considering you rookie qb just layed out for a dive to move the sticks and got damn close (worst case it's 4th and inches and a great way to play smashmouth with Ivory and get your Oline and Josh Allen some confidence).

I don't buy the "it's just preseason" crap.  It's team football and you're looking for good things to build on, so McD needs to lose the bra sometimes and go for it.

(i don't mean Mike Tomlin stupid, just don't be a puss)

Could not have written it any better. 

• Like (+1) 1