Start Building the O-Line Now...Sell Goods for Long-Term Goods (2019 Draft Picks)

Wizard

Kelvin Benjamin is going to cost too much for the Bills to retain. Wide receiver salaries for #2 receivers masking as #1 receivers are way too high, and by the time Allen becomes an above average starter or the Bills get a go-to quarterback, Benjamin will no longer be worth his salary.  Jerry Hughes and Charles Clay also can bring decent value, but they either will under-perform because of the lack of talent around them (currently) to generate sacks in Hughes' case or move the chains when the Bills have a porous offensive line.

Although the Bills will be competitive because of quality coaching and a team first approach, the Bills would be best off selling of Benjamin, Hughes, and Clay and getting some much needed draft capital to add to the extra picks they have next year (4th and 7th, I believe) along with their own.

The Bills would be wise to sell these guys off...see what we have with backups this year (Lawson, Fede, O'Leary, Lee, and the jumbalaya of WR's on the roster), and then use several extra picks to make a long-term line for Allen and get some cheap but young talent in areas woefully lacking in both quality and in depth (linebacker, wide receiver, and a running back) as Shady will likely either get a minimal suspension and/or his legs fall off in the next two years any way.

For sure... teams are always looking to move their talented offensive linemen via trade 2 weeks before the season... 

FYI, lots of teams have offensive lines similar to ours.  Not everybody is Dallas.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

When you compare Allan to other young QB's today, he could be very good, good enough to lead a team deep into the playoffs by his 3rd season assuming he keeps improving at his current rate.  KB could easily still be in his prime.

Really doubt you'd get much of any return for Hughes and Clay.

The Bills already have two young draft picks on the line in Dawkins and Telleir.  They could go out and get one top level interior line FA, use one more fairly high pick on another lineman and the line could be pretty good pretty quickly.  You don't need 5 all pros out there, no other teams have that either.  Put three talents guys out there and all of a suden the other two look much better too.

I don't believe McDermott and Beane are buying into the media assessments that we may be the worst team in the league in which instance they might sell off players for picks. As a matter of fact I do believe this was the same narrative about the Bills last year and we ended the drought. 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Kelvin Benjamin is going to cost too much for the Bills to retain. Wide receiver salaries for #2 receivers masking as #1 receivers are way too high, and by the time Allen becomes an above average starter or the Bills get a go-to quarterback, Benjamin will no longer be worth his salary.  Jerry Hughes and Charles Clay also can bring decent value, but they either will under-perform because of the lack of talent around them (currently) to generate sacks in Hughes' case or move the chains when the Bills have a porous offensive line.

Although the Bills will be competitive because of quality coaching and a team first approach, the Bills would be best off selling of Benjamin, Hughes, and Clay and getting some much needed draft capital to add to the extra picks they have next year (4th and 7th, I believe) along with their own.

The Bills would be wise to sell these guys off...see what we have with backups this year (Lawson, Fede, O'Leary, Lee, and the jumbalaya of WR's on the roster), and then use several extra picks to make a long-term line for Allen and get some cheap but young talent in areas woefully lacking in both quality and in depth (linebacker, wide receiver, and a running back) as Shady will likely either get a minimal suspension and/or his legs fall off in the next two years any way.

None of this makes ANY sense. 

Every player you mentioned selling off carries more value to the team than they would bring back in a trade. 

Then add Bills already have 9 picks in 2019 and close to 100M in cap space so I ask. What is the problem again??

ooo no not the depth argument. Although every team in the NFL has depth problems. That is the nature of this league. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 6

They just traded for Benjamin half a season ago giving up a mid third and he has been injured since so I wonder what they would get for him now?

A fourth?

And what is any team giving up for no knees Clay?

Edited by Aussie Joe

I agree with building the oline but getting rid of our best WR does not help out new QB. If anything oline and WR are the two positions we need to add too.

Your suggestion steals from Peter to feed Paul. 

None of these guys mentioned are worth higher than a 6th round pick to another team. 

You could argue a team is desperate for health in a certain position I suppose. 

Hughes is a walking 15 yard penalty machine who has basically shown without 3 other dominant lineman he can’t get much pressure and disappears for games at a time. 

Clay is a 17 week starter on the injury report who suits up weekly regardless but doesn’t have a ton of impact unless he’s playing the dolphins. 

Benjamin was worth a 3rd last year since he had a year on his contract left, now he’s a semi oft injured receiver who is a one year rental unless you offer him huge money. 

Nobody is giving away a decent future pick for any of these guys. As said earlier they are much more valuable on this board and their current team than in trades 

• Thank you (+1) 1

bottom line is we have 9 picks and $100,000,000 next year.  We’ll fix whatever we need then.  This year we have to keep as many talented players as possible to maintain some level of success.  As one poster mentioned, we were. Told by All the analyst last year we would tank and maybe be 3-13.  Amazingly, we are told the same. This year.  McD isnotgetting the credit he deserves.   In three years, the national media will realize we have a solid front office and coaching staff.

until then,  really could care less what any analyst says about the Bills.  As my old wrestling coach used to say, and I shared with my boys when I coached them football.  Show you’re talent on the field and screw them.  Winning cures all.

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

For sure... teams are always looking to move their talented offensive linemen via trade 2 weeks before the season... 

FYI, lots of teams have offensive lines similar to ours.  Not everybody is Dallas.  

OP didn’t say trade, he wants picks. Personally, I don’t think Clay or Hughes would garner much Draft capital as I think neither gets another contract offer from the Bills, though could be re-signed for much cheaper. KB is in a great position for himself, healthy & in a contract year. Likely why he’s the most vocal Allen cheerleader among WR’s. If he’s has a great season, I’m sure McBeane will try to keep him a Bill -including Tagging him.