Josh Allen to start Sunday

FluffHead

Been fun watching the Josh Allen experience you have going on.

I've been on record from the beginning saying the kid wouldn't succeed.  I haven't changed my mind about that.

Of all the QB situations where there is a high rookie pick, Buffalo is the one where the kid you drafted was pretty much the best QB on the roster the second his name was called at the draft.  Besides being on record about Allen, I am also quoted throughout this place saying McCarron and Peterson are known commodities of below average nobodies.  

I still hope Allen succeeds.  I can't help but think that every fan base is too critical or too optimistic about pre season football.  I think this applies to Allen as well.  No one is game planning against him.  He is known to have a hard time with making reads.  He is known to struggle under pressure.

The kid has a great arm...everyone knew it from the beginning.  He can really sling that ball...and there will be some times when that arm overcomes a bad read etc...

I will remain skeptical of Allen until I have seen him perform against a D that is actually playing their scheme with their starters, gameplanning and all that.  

Ryan Leaf had some incredible pre seasons....articles were written about how the Colts had screwed up the pick...all based on a few preseason games.  Be Wary.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Allen has been brought along a steady, gradual, well defined path that was probably in place a few months ago.

It will culminate with him starting in Baltimore.

Bank on it!

Yes sir! 

Started with Jordan Palmer well before the draft process , worked extensively cleaning up Allens game. 

Palmer also trained Darnold, but when he brought up Allen in interviews, you can kinda hear him perk up , like he knew Allen had far superior potential. 

Kid has applied his coaching , deserves the opportunity at the very least.

We might have our guy!!!! ?????

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

I've been on record from the beginning saying the kid wouldn't succeed.  I haven't changed my mind about that.

Of all the QB situations where there is a high rookie pick, Buffalo is the one where the kid you drafted was pretty much the best QB on the roster the second his name was called at the draft.  Besides being on record about Allen, I am also quoted throughout this place saying McCarron and Peterson are known commodities of below average nobodies.  

I still hope Allen succeeds.  I can't help but think that every fan base is too critical or too optimistic about pre season football.  I think this applies to Allen as well.  No one is game planning against him.  He is known to have a hard time with making reads.  He is known to struggle under pressure.

The kid has a great arm...everyone knew it from the beginning.  He can really sling that ball...and there will be some times when that arm overcomes a bad read etc...

I will remain skeptical of Allen until I have seen him perform against a D that is actually playing their scheme with their starters, gameplanning and all that.  

Ryan Leaf had some incredible pre seasons....articles were written about how the Colts had screwed up the pick...all based on a few preseason games.  Be Wary.

You might want to familiarize yourself with the offerings in the following thread:

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Really ?  They have only 2 QBs to evaluate and Nate already got his start in Week1....So it would have only been fair to evaluate Josh against the 1st if he is truly competing for the starting position.  I don't think any of them play week4.

?

1 minute ago, Playoffs? said:

Excited..  nervous..  hopeful..  tempering expectations 

would love nothing nore more than to see Allen light it up.  But know there’s a possibility we could all be disappointed. 

That’s the spirit! Doomshield firmly in place.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

No one is game planning against him.  He is known to have a hard time with making reads.  He is known to struggle under pressure.

Hey dude there's a Mahomes thread somewhere else on this board

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

I take it you must be skeptical of Mahomes as well then.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There weren’t any apparent opening-night jitters for Ryan Leaf.

The touted rookie quarterback from Washington State came out poised and led two scoring drives – capping one with an impressive 3-yard TD pass to Bryan Still – and the San Diego Chargers beat San Francisco 27-21 in their exhibition opener last night.

Leaf made a few mistakes, like throwing into double coverage at the goal line – Still actually drew a pass-interference call on that one – and not getting off a play in time during the two-minute drill.

Otherwise, Leaf had a better night than Steve Young.

The 22-year-old Leaf, taken with the second pick in the April draft and named the starter for the season on Wednesday, was 14 for 20 for 116 yards.

Here’s another account of his first night:

Ryan Leaf didn’t look at all like a rattled rookie in his NFL debut. Sure, the touted San Diego Chargers quarterback made some mistakes and still has a ways to go in adjusting to the faster pace of the pro game. But was he nervous? Nope. It’s not in his playbook.

“He throws so accurately,” coach Kevin Gilbride said. “Even though he was late a few times, he put it in position where the only one who could catch it was us. That was the most encouraging thing…. I don’t want to in any way, shape or form make it seem like he’s where he needs to be. Still, he’s able to make plays and that’s what it comes down to. I thought he did that very, very well.” As he has numerous times this summer, Gilbride called Leaf “special.” Running back Terrell Fletcher called Leaf “a fearless player. That’s a big attribute.”
Leaf said the radio receiver in his helmet, which coaches use to call in plays, didn’t work the first two series. He partially winged it, with help from his teammates and quarterback coach June Jones, who told him to have three or four plays down pat to use. “I think he surprised a lot of people with how composed he was,” guard Raleigh McKenzie said. “We went three-and-out the first series, then he got real poised. He knew what to do in there.”

Leaf’s first pre-season start was much better than the man selected one spot before him in the 1998 draft:

Watching Peyton Manning and Jon Kitna, it was hard to tell who was the No. 1 pick in this year’s NFL draft. All Archie Manning’stutoring and that extra year at Tennessee couldn’t get Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts past the Seattle Seahawks and Kitna in his pro debut.

After his first pass, a 48-yard touchdown strike to Marvin Harrison on his first series, Manning looked like an ordinary NFL rookie. There was a fumble that teammate Tony Mandarich recovered and an interception to end a series. In Manning’s other four series, it was three-and-out.

“He’ll learn from his mistakes and he’ll play better,” Colts coach Jim Mora said.

Manning admitted: “I need to play a little better. We didn’t move the ball very well.”

Against Seattle, Manning was 8-for-15 for 113 yards with a touchdown and an interception. He looked confused at times. The NFL isn’t the Southeastern Conference. His father, Archie, a former NFL quarterback, told him that and now he’s finding that out for himself.

He was intercepted by cornerback Fred Thomas in the second quarter before being replaced by Kelly Holcomb. On the first play of the second quarter, Manning fumbled without being hit, but the ball was recovered by Mandarich.

“That was a rare, freak play,” Manning said of the fumble. “The ball just slipped out of my hand.”

But that was just one game. Manning and Leaf met head-to-head in the regular season dress rehearsal known as week three of the preseason:

Round 1 went to Ryan Leaf and the San Diego Chargers. The rematch with the Indianapolis Colts and Peyton Manning will be in October, when it counts.

The meeting last night between Leaf, the second pick in the National Football League draft, and Manning, the No. 1 pick, was only the second time in N.F.L. history quarterbacks picked 1-2 in the draft had faced each other as rookies.

Leaf was 15 for 24 for 172 yards, set up one touchdown and ran for a score as the Chargers broke a 3-3 tie at half and beat the Colts 33-3. It was only an exhibition game, but after a shaky first half, Leaf looked sharp in leading the Chargers.

Manning, playing into the third quarter for the first time in the preseason, was 11 for 21 for 123 yards but twice had passes intercepted.

• Sad 1