Name one thing you have never done that most people have

Another Fan

35 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I’ve never smoked a cigarette.  Never appealed to me to even try.  

Also never smoked a cigarette. I smoke cigars occasionally, and have (regrettably) tried dip, but never saw the appeal of cigarettes. They don't get you high like other drugs, they don't seem to taste good, as a good cigar has an enjoyable flavor, and even dip usually has some sort of minty taste. Cigarettes are just inhaling nasty smoke for the sake of it.

Never been to Disney, or even Florida other than for a layover. 

Drink a cup of coffee.  In my 50 years.  Maybe a teaspoon.

Same with tea.  First time ever, couple weeks ago in "ThaiTown" Chicago... I had a "Thai Tea"... But it tasted more like milk and sugar... Almost like a soda... LoL...

Never been to Vegas or New York City, and don't intend too if I can help it.

Never joined social media outside of this place.  Never FB, Twitter, SnapChat, etc...

42 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I thought I was the only one.

That makes three now.  We are more numerous than you think.

I like to quote my 80 something year old father.  He never touched a keyboard, let alone can find where the escape key is:

"Facebook is 'front porch gossip.'

I guess this place is 'back porch.'  'Radio' of social media.

Anyway... I like to quote Pope Benedict when he warned us so many years ago about FaceBook... LoL... Just to mess with people's minds.  It's trash. People let it take the place of physical human interaction, turns into gossip, one upmanship, LAMPs, etc...

Yet... This place has turned out well.  Gotta try and keep up... Follow people, build a story, it's not instant...

This is not at all rare, but I’m sensitive about it. I’ve never been out of North America. Canada and Mexico? Sure. But never anything beyond that. My family, and my wife’s family, travel like crazy! People we know all travel expensively. I was at a dinner party once with 14 people and I was the only person who had never been to Bulgaria! Not Paris or London. BULGARIA! 

There are some reasons for this, but the fact remains. We have a cruise set for Spain and Portugal but that’s about a year away. I have plenty of time to look forward to that.....

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

On a side note, I may also be the only one around that doesn't know what Lamp stands for either. I see it on here all the time.

Look At Me Post. 

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I’ve never smoked a cigarette.  Never appealed to me to even try.  

I just read that smoking among adults is at an all time low.

If I remember correctly it's now just 16% of adults that smoke cigarettes regularly, down from over 50% in the 70's.

Weed on the other hand, well it's probably the single largest factor in the tobacco decline besides the high taxes and advertising bans.

2 hours ago, The Jerk said:

Gone fishing.

Really?

Have you ever played Go Fish? That almost counts. 

8 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I just read that smoking among adults is at an all time low.

If I remember correctly it's now just 16% of adults that smoke cigarettes regularly, down from over 50% in the 70's.

Weed on the other hand, well it's probably the single largest factor in the tobacco decline besides the high taxes and advertising bans.

That doesn’t surprise me. I can’t think of a single person I know who smokes cigarettes. When I was a kid it seemed like half the adults smoked them. 

Edited by Augie

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Really?

Have you ever played Go Fish? That almost counts. 

That doesn’t surprise me. I can’t think of a single person I know who smokes cigarettes. When I was a kid it seemed like half the adults smoked them. 

Yeah... I have been cooking for 18 years. When I started I was the only person in every kitchen who didn't smoke. Now, out of 38 employees, only 2 of them smoke. It's a complete 180, and I like it. At the first restaurant I cooked in, the chef/owner had a hole burnt through his CUTTING BOARD from putting out cigarette butts. Thank god that era is over.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Yeah... I have been cooking for 18 years. When I started I was the only person in every kitchen who didn't smoke. Now, out of 38 employees, only 2 of them smoke. It's a complete 180, and I like it. At the first restaurant I cooked in, the chef/owner had a hole burnt through his CUTTING BOARD from putting out cigarette butts. Thank god that era is over.

There were bars and restaurants I wouldn’t go because you came out smelling like a dirty ashtray. Your clothes would stink in the hamper the next day.  When they changed the smoking laws in Florida I knew some places were worried business would drop off because the smokers would stay away. Business went UP because people like me came back. 

And then there are the health related issues..... NOT the good old days on that point.

53 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is not at all rare, but I’m sensitive about it. I’ve never been out of North America. Canada and Mexico? Sure. But never anything beyond that. My family, and my wife’s family, travel like crazy! People we know all travel expensively. I was at a dinner party once with 14 people and I was the only person who had never been to Bulgaria! Not Paris or London. BULGARIA! 

There are some reasons for this, but the fact remains. We have a cruise set for Spain and Portugal but that’s about a year away. I have plenty of time to look forward to that.....

Look At Me Post. 

Yes, if you fall into a certain demographic, which I believe you do fall into, it is quite rare to not have travelled internationally, at least not counting Mexico or Canada.

I've travelled all over, but never to Bulgaria if that makes you feel better.  

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’ve never had my anus pierced.

I think that's a wise choice, but most people probably have not pierced their anus.

So that doesn't really apply, at least in terms of the OP's intentions.

I have never "interacted online" using a telephone, largely b/c I still have a flip phone, and have only had that for a few years.  I wouldn't know how to make a cell phone go online.   Also never, ever, used a GPS system to figure out where to drive in a  car.  

I've dragged my feet kicking and screaming on converting to the cell phone culture, which I kind of despise and consider to be the end of society as we know it.

14 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Same here with Game of Thrones.

I think there are a lot of people out there who have never watched GOT and it's b/c they see a commercial, realize they are not interested in castles, wizards, and swords, etc., and so they look away.

This is a huge mistake.  The cinematography, set design, costume design, acting, and most of all, the writing are all superb.  It is the best TV on TV and by a long way.

If you are interested in fiction, reading, and the new age of "super TV shows" you are really doing yourself a disservice by not watching the show based solely on a lack of interest in the subject matter.

A good show, book, or movie is good, no matter what it is about.  And it can be about anything.  By the same token, a show, book, or movie might perfectly appeal to your main interest in life, yet if it sucks, it sucks.

Edited by Fadingpain

I don't have a tat.  I'm middle-aged and quite a few of my contemporaries have them to my surprise.  July and August are festival season and have seen a number of people in their 40's and 50's sporting tats this year while out and about.  Probably looked alright when they were 20 and their skin was tight but now they look like they just got out of prison.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I think that's a wise choice, but most people probably have not pierced their anus.

So that doesn't really apply, at least in terms of the OP's intentions.

I have never "interacted online" using a telephone, largely b/c I still have a flip phone, and have only had that for a few years.  I wouldn't know how to make a cell phone go online.   Also never, ever, used a GPS system to figure out where to drive in a  car.  

I've dragged my feet kicking and screaming on converting to the cell phone culture, which I kind of despise and consider to be the end of society as we know it.

I think there are a lot of people out there who have never watched GOT and it's b/c they see a commercial, realize they are not interested in castles, wizards, and swords, etc., and so they look away.

This is a huge mistake.  The cinematography, set design, costume design, acting, and most of all, the writing are all superb.  It is the best TV on TV and by a long way.

If you are interested in fiction, reading, and the new age of "super TV shows" you are willing doing yourself a disservice by not watching the show based solely on a lack of interest in the subject matter.

A good show, book, or movie is good, no matter what it is about.  And it can be about anything.  By the same token, a show, book, or movie might perfectly appeal to your main interest in life, yet if it sucks, it sucks.

I don't have a problem with GOT in terms of theme.  I just have not been drawn in.  The Soprano's were in the last season before I started watching.  At times I can be a contrarian.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't have a problem with GOT in terms of theme.  I just have not been drawn in.  The Soprano's were in the last season before I started watching.  At times I can be a contrarian.

You know, I am the biggest GOT fan there is, and yet I clearly recall not getting hooked until I had seen the first 3 episodes in Season 1.  At the beginning, you are introduced to a lot of stuff, a lot of characters, the narrative hops around, and it takes some time to get sucked in. At least it did for me.

I would urge you or anyone to make yourself watch, say, the first 5 episodes of season 1.  If you still don't get it, shut it off.  But if you get the hook, you'll be glad you made the commitment to watch, b/c you'll have a whole lot of great TV ahead of you.

7 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't have a tat.  I'm middle-aged and quite a few of my contemporaries have them to my surprise.  July and August are festival season and have seen a number of people in their 40's and 50's sporting tats this year while out and about.  Probably looked alright when they were 20 and their skin was tight but now they look like they just got out of prison.  

This is a good one.

I have no tattoos of any kind either, and likely never will.  It's just not my thing.

Down here in south FL, most people aren't wearing much clothing most of the time, and my God, it is hard to find a person who does not have a tattoo, particularly if you are younger.

It is almost impossible to find a young, hot chick on the beach in a bikini who does not have some tattoos on her body now.  And they also tend to sport a pierced belly button.  I also have no piercings of any kind.

24 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Unless I missed something I don't think that Britney is that well traveled.  Madonna on the other hand........................  

Kind of forgot about this until now.  Down the street from a place I used to work at was a bar that had a female patron that was rumored to be more traveled than Madonna.  Fits the thread that I was never with a girl/woman who had a reputation of getting around.

30 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Unless I missed something I don't think that Britney is that well traveled.  Madonna on the other hand........................  

That was too creepy for even me! (But I did think about her, and the Dennis Rodman thing just made me queezy.)