Are The Bills Mafia’s Tailgate Antics An Embarrassment?

Just came across this article that flew under the radar from a small newspaper near me.  The writer is somewhat critical of The Bills Mafia stadium antics which have gone viral.

Ironically he says something I never thought of.  He mentions that the Bills org is not happy about these viral videos.  When the built a new stadium is built downtown, the high ticket prices will keep this kind of “riff raff” (his words) out of the stadium.  

https://waynetimes.com/columns/worst-bills-mafia/

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Just came across this article that flew under the radar from a small newspaper near me.  The writer is somewhat critical of The Bills Mafia stadium antics which have gone viral.

Ironically he says something I never thought of.  He mentions that the Bills org is not happy about these viral videos.  When the built a new stadium is built downtown, the high ticket prices will keep this kind of “riff raff” (his words) out of the stadium.  

https://waynetimes.com/columns/worst-bills-mafia/

It's definitely an embarrassment, for sure.

Its not an embarrassment. 

For my work, I speak to and deal with people from everywhere.  Often, football/the Bills come up.  Not one person has indicated that they are disgusted by it and said anything to shame me.  In fact, most think its funny and they usually mutter something about how they NEED to come up for a game.

And overall, it is a very small amount of people who do this.  I have tailgated for several hundreds of hours in various hot-button lots, and have seen 1 table get jumped through.

If it is me who does this and it goes viral, or drinking out of someone's tush, or what have you, I would be embarrassed for myself.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

no.  they don't reflect on me as an individual, so it doesn't embarrass me.

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I've been to a bunch of games in the last several years in a bunch of different lots - and i have never seen anyone jump on a table.  Everyone gets hammered at football games, its not really limited to buffalo.

i've never actually seen it happen either.

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Its not an embarrassment. 

For my work, I speak to and deal with people from everywhere.  Often, football/the Bills come up.  Not one person has indicated that they are disgusted by it and said anything to shame me.  In fact, most think its funny and they usually mutter something about how they NEED to come up for a game.

And overall, it is a very small amount of people who do this.  I have tailgated for several hundreds of hours in various hot-button lots, and have seen 1 table get jumped through.

You’re right.  It is a very small amount of fans that do.  I go to 1-3 games per year and while I’m not a huge tailgater, I do hang in the lots beforehand.  I’ve seen a lot of drinking for sure, but I’ve really never seen anything like table smashing or anything you’d see in these videos.  

I think the embarrassing part is when the “BillsMafia” goes down to Jacksonville, trashes their stadium and lights a big bonfire in the parking lot!  LOL.  I remember Timmy Graham coming down on fans for this

I live in the south and NFL fans I've met from Florida to Georgia to the Carolinas all love the Bills Mafia.  It's pretty much iconic with our team, and one of the first things they mention when I tell them I'm a Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 2

An embarrassment? Kinda, sorta. What embarrasses me is the perception that ALL Bills fans behave that way, when in reality you have to really go searching for these antics. I've been a season ticket holder for years, and have partied in a number of private lots. Only once did I ever see a guy climb up on top of a vehicle like he was going to jump off of it, only to have the private lot owners come sprinting over and yell at him to get down. 

What also embarrasses me is how these kids are just manufacturing these incidents to go for the viral videos. I guess that stems from my age, and the fact that I was one of the very last generations to come up before digital photography, smart phones and social media were the norm. I'm not saying I was a saint when I was in my 20s, but I am glad no digital recordings from that time exist. I question the incessant need to record and document these things online forevermore. 

Edited by jimmy10
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

Personally, I’m a big fan of riff raff. Helps make the world go ‘round..

Saying this, yes, it is a tad embarrassing. But in context, the rare air of a 1st year coach winning & leading the Bills to the Playoffs means all civility bets are off. Ask yourself, did you absolutely EXPLODE when Dalton threw the TD pass on 4th & 12?

This year, a calmness has fallen on the teams’ fandom. Many believe they won’t win as much, but see a team being built for a long haul of success and are quietly excited. I’d be surprised if #theMafia picks up where it left off in Jacksonville. As for groping/fornication, etc., I think it likely this can be found in every park across the nation, if you’re looking for that sort of thing... jmo