Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 11 - 8:45 AM

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Not really.

What surprises me is that with all the ups and downs of Peterman and McCarron, is that Allen is remaining with the 3rd team.

I know that have a plan and are sticking with it, but I really don't see much more benefit after preseason game #1.

Well, Week One, but I am pretty sure that he starts by the end of the year.

They have a plan.  Which should mean there are certain goals and things they need to see from Allen which I would think have been communicated to him.

If they truly wanted to keep Allen on the bench most or all of the year they wouldn't have gotten rid of Tyrod.

I like the fact that our coaches have their s**t together about this and will just wait to see how it unfolds.  More than willing to trust them at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Not really.

What surprises me is that with all the ups and downs of Peterman and McCarron, is that Allen is remaining with the 3rd team.

I know that have a plan and are sticking with it, but I really don't see much more benefit after preseason game #1.

Well, Week One, but I am pretty sure that he starts by the end of the year.

I think they have certain things they want to see from Allen before just throwing him in front of the vets. They want Allen to prove that he deserves it not only to them, but to his teammates as well. I believe these guys, our staff, are truly about open competition. If Allen does well in the game Thursday night then I fully expect for his reps to increase with the other units. This isn't Mularky with Losman and Bledsoe. If he doesn't show well then he will remain with the 3rd team. 

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Well Peterman's inconsistency is about $4.5 million cheaper on the 2019 salary cap so if McCarron isn't separating himself I don't see why we should keep him around.

I get it, but I think we keep him this year no matter what. We'd be one injury away from JA and someone off the street.

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Am I the only one who thinks it is not surprising how the offense struggles at times against this defense? Could it possibly be because our defense is actually, dare I say, good?

No , its not surprising IMO. 

With a new coaching/ system on the Offensive side of the ball I think all 3 QBs are doing well under the circumstances in my humble opinion.

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I don't know why, but I have a gut feeling that Allen turns it on in the second half on Thursday. Because he's been working with the 3s, he's getting chemistry and he's playing against a worse defense.

This.  Add in it's the same defense he has faced all camp.  McCarron and or Peterman struggle against a very good Carolina defense. Allen has some chemistry with Foster Proehl, Mcloud, has the best stat sheet and highlight throws.  They want a Qb to earn it on the field.  I expect Allen to do that and then it becomes difficult to not play the guy with more talent when he is more productive.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Figster said:

No , its not surprising IMO. 

With a new coaching/ system on the Offensive side of the ball I think all 3 QBs are doing well under the circumstances in my humble opinion.

...from D&C's Maiorana:

Elaborating on that, McDermott referenced his previous NFL coaching stops in Philadelphia and Carolina and what those two teams did with highly-regarded first-round rookie quarterbacks, Donovan McNabb with the Eagles and Cam Newton with the Panthers.

There were two approaches – McNabb did not start immediately, while Newton was thrown in the fire from day one. It sounds like Allen will follow the path set forth by McNabb when the former Syracuse star saw mop-up duty in six games during his 1999 rookie season, then made his first start in the Eagles’ 10th game and proceeded to start the final six games.

“Being around Donovan’s situation in particular, we had a plan and he didn’t play for some time,” McDermott said. “We’re not rushing this, we want to make sure (Allen’s) ready to go. There will still be growing pains with that journey. You can see the arm talent, you can see the special type of player he could become, but there’s a lot of room for growth between where we are now and where he needs to get to, so we’re just going to continue with the plan, with the schedule, just like our entire team, learn and go.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

They still seem to be rotating the WRs a LOT. Also, I think they just want him to get consistent reps with the guys he's going to play a half with on Thursday night.

This maybe the first time that I’ll be looking forward to watching the second half of the preseason game !!

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Peterman and McCarron are worse that Tyrod Taylor.

It would be a major shock if Allen isn't the starter sooner rather than later.

I don't think we will see Allen in a regular season game until November earliest....and that is totally fine with me.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

So Tier unmasked.

no kidding.  he's actually mentioned a couple of times that allen hasn't been able to beat out aj or peterman, even though it's been said a number of times it's by design.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That would really, really suck if we get to 4 losses after 4 games.  Oh boy that will be a long year.

We won't be favored for any of the first 4, but I doubt we lose them all.